Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly There... KFC, Chicken Gravy !

Options
  • 30-01-2014 10:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

50 pieces of coated chicken (seasoned) etc in a deep fat fryer last weekend for a get together so I have the bits from the bottom of the frier and man its so chicken(y). So I have nearly 2 mugs of grizzle ?
    So with half a mug (rest frozen) I put 1 mug of water into a pot, got bubbling, turned down, Threw in said mug with Salt and pepper and adding cornflower and dried oregano. I then threw in a knorr rubbery chicken stock thingy and its nearly there. Its just not KFC. Enlighten me please !
    It's nearly there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

These bits you are using, are they little pieces of chicken. Or little pieces of the coating on the chicken. I assume the latter made with flour and spices.

They are a few regional recipes from what I can gather. One is full of hydrogenated this and hydrolyzed that, probably used in less strict US states. This one is (a bit) more reasonable.
    Wheat Flour, Modified Corn Starch, Monosodium Glutamate, Salt, Dextrose, Soybean Oil, Onion Powder, Spice, Caramel Color, Torula Yeast, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Turmeric, Autolyzed Yeast, Oleoresin Paprika and Natural Flavoring.

So you are quite similar at a base level, flour, cornflour, oil, natural chicken flavour ;), salt, spices (I assume on the original chicken pieces). Autolyzed yeast is basically marmite. Dextrose is a fancy name for glucose

I'd suggest swapping your oregano for onion powder, turmeric, and paprika. Adding some sugar. If you have marmite, try a small amount, if not I would bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ingredients are listed in order of greatest, MSG is high on that list. You can get pure MSG in asian supermarkets pretty cheap. Your standard stock cubes will have lots in them, as does knorr aromat.

I expect many people who say they will never eat chinese food since its loaded with "toxic MSG" have been happily eating MSG all their lives.

There is some ad with a TV chef using stock cubes, saying there is no MSG or something, but its loaded with natural MSG so they get away with this highly misleading advertising. It can be called loads of different names.

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The nicest gravy in existence, if you can replicate it that would be some job! :)

Advertisement