Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding ewe lambs (hill)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

You should really bypass Teagasc and get straight on to a td to get that changed, your allowed go with Cfp and new min ,max, as far as I know. It's plain stupid , the dep of ag, makes my blood boil re commanages

Yes, I'm still pursuing options. Think I have run into a dead end with IFA, have talked to two heavy hitters there and got zilch back.

Liam Fahey, one of the head inspectors with the department said in Tuam last year that AEOS plans couldn't be amended so......... Options narrowing batman :D

To be fair to my local TD of choice he has been more than helpful in the past with issues I've brought to him. Could well be time to give him a crack at another easy problem ;)

Will keep at it.

Just on Teagasc, I think next time out with whatever plan I may leave them behind. I've had fairly suspect guidance from them previously and why do we as farmers need advisors if it isn't for correct and timely advice? To be fair, I do get on well with my current advisor who does seem better clued in compared to the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Yes, I'm still pursuing options. Think I have run into a dead end with IFA, have talked to two heavy hitters there and got zilch back.

Liam Fahey, one of the head inspectors with the department said in Tuam last year that AEOS plans couldn't be amended so......... Options narrowing batman :D

To be fair to my local TD of choice he has been more than helpful in the past with issues I've brought to him. Could well be time to give him a crack at another easy problem ;)

Will keep at it.

Just on Teagasc, I think next time out with whatever plan I may leave them behind. I've had fairly suspect guidance from them previously and why do we as farmers need advisors if it isn't for correct and timely advice? To be fair, I do get on well with my current advisor who does seem better clued in compared to the previous one.

I agree and there not the cheapest, I'll be getting quotes for new scheme, any con I better check the weather I'm gathering tomorrow to scan Tuesday, scanned 35 ewes at home a few weeks ago,all in lamb but very low on twins,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

con for the number of sheep you have to stock for AEOS surely is determined by the commonage share you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

con for the number of sheep you have to stock for AEOS surely is determined by the commonage share you have.

You would think so wouldn't you? If you were to go by my commonage shares and the Max/min figures I would be between 85 and 116 sheep or there abouts.

The issue I have with the dept is how neighbours with the same shares as me have between 5 and 15 times the number of sheep I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Con, I have all mayo ewes and have had a few lambs get tipped by accident in the past. I have to say it is a lot of work getting them over the line. They need good grass, and meal, and even then you have to keep an eye on them in particular over the rest. Plus, they are more susepctible to things like worms, so you have to be watching them all the time. I had to keep them moving around what grass I had right up until they were ready to be sold. That is a lot of care and special attention, and I couldnt help but feel had I been able to put that time in elsewhere I might have saved a few that died and had a couple less stragglers at the end. If I was you, knowing the type of area you farm as my own is similar, I wouldnt do it. But if you feel you have that type of time to offer then maybe try the strongest 3-4 of them and see how it goes.

If you want to go the other way, I know of a guy who puts bags on the backsides of his ewe lambs. I know you might be thinking that will look daft, but he can let them off to the hill with the ewes every year and they dont get tipped. A few years later and a few more were doing the same...

• Advertisement
Advertisement