Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forwarding Traffic From Secure Network to Internet

Options
  • 30-01-2014 11:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a weird situation.

He needs to be able to take traffic from 3 or 4 IP addresses over 1 port on a secured network with no internet access and forward it to a cloud based server. I was thinking a small Raspberry Pi and a 3G modem could take the traffic and handle it, except I have no idea what to do or if it would work, does anyone have any idea?

What I'm thinking is setting up a Raspberry Pi with firewall rules only to allow traffic from the specified IPs over the port. That will in turn forward the connection via 3G, would anyone have any idea how to do it or if there could be a better way of doing it?

Modifying the existing network isn't an option

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

You'd be much better with a Mikrotik RB750UP, it has a usb port and can be configured to take a 3G dongle
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750uplevel-32mb-rampoe-output-ports-p-1180.html

Check out the big thread about them here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056718566

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

You'd be much better with a Mikrotik RB750UP, it has a usb port and can be configured to take a 3G dongle
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750uplevel-32mb-rampoe-output-ports-p-1180.html

Check out the big thread about them here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056718566

As a straight forward solution I would use this.

I;ve used them on a number of occasions,I would say that I've ended up having to attach them to power cycling power source, rebooting them every 24 hours as they always had a tendency to crash after a week or two. TBH they work fine but do the power cycle.....

when you say allow through firewall...if you could explain this / the network topology a little further. this would help determine how to get traffic out... When you say modifying the existing network isnt an option i dont see how you can allow new rules on the firewall. things like what existing ACL rules are in place, are the IPs you want to monitor in isolated private vlans, routing of network......

Might not do exactly what you want but few easy suggestions, install dropbox/upload to dropbox the files you want. Use a usb stick. If you have enough flexibility to allow for traffic from units to be diverted onto another network then you can surely do one of those two suggestions...

Also more info the better for solving your problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right, a bit more information required.

The devices I'll be getting the information from is already connected to a network and communicated to other servers on that network, that network is not on the internet and cannot be, I want some information to go onto the internet, this information will be coming from 1 port only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

A Mikrotik is unlike any ordinary household class c router, it's an enterprise router and is a blank canvas for you to configure as you like.

You're still not giving enough info, when you say take info, what exactly do you mean by that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

XML file type transaction, ideally I wouldn't like to have the data modified in anyway just forwarded across.

• Advertisement
Advertisement