Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checked in luggage items stolen

• 31-01-2014 12:35am

Hi,

(quite embarrassed by this whole thing)

Has anybody here had this issue? unluckily (or luckily depends how you look at it) I had this issue recently and a Camera went missing from my checked in bag.

I understand about not putting that type of stuff in baggage but obviously wasn't thinking right a 3am and put some presents I shouldn't have in my checked in luggage.

I've contacted the airline and after weeks of battering them for a response they agreed to cover one of the items and give me air mileage but I refused.

I have read online that I'm entitled to have my items replaced or reimbursed under the Montreal Convention however I would need to have proof that the camera was in the baggage. I have two witnesses who saw me putting it in and 4 who saw me retrieving the bag/opening it.

Has anybody had a similar case and brought it to the small claims court? I'm waiting for one last response from the airline then I'll be taking it to court.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It's almost impossible. Even if you do somehow prove the item was in the bag in the first place, they just point to their terms and conditions which specifically state that valuables such as electronics should not be placed in your check in luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't fancy your chances to be honest. You have to prove that you put the camera in the bag, plus you are warned that valuables should not go into baggage. Did you lock/padlock the bag at all?

It's a tough one, and must feel rotten to have the camera go missing. In all my years of flying, I've never had anything like this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

you would have to prove that it was actually airlines employees, not handling staff or security staff - how can you be sure WHERE it actually happened.

Most airlines recommend not putting valuables in your checked luggage.

Did you have travel insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

you would have to prove that it was actually airlines employees, not handling staff or security staff - how can you be sure WHERE it actually happened....
    The airlines want to protect themselves in that way. Whether they should be allowed to is a consumer issue, but to be considered at a level of generality that would probably not help OP.

If you pay a carrier to transport your baggage, they should be made responsible for transporting them safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

you would have to prove that it was actually airlines employees, not handling staff or security staff - how can you be sure WHERE it actually happened.

Most airlines recommend not putting valuables in your checked luggage.

Did you have travel insurance?

Fraid not, your contract is with the company you paid money to, i.e. the Airline.

You have no contract with the baggage handler, they are acting on behalf of the airline.

Similarly if you order something from Amazon and its not delivered by DHL or whoever its up to Amazon to sort it out as they contracted DHL to deliver it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses.

Having emailed the Airline last night with the details of the Montreal Convention they have agreed to reimburse me for up to the limit of €1,000 which is more than the Camera cost.

Utterly delighted with the outcome, shame it took a month to get here... Wish I found this legislation sooner! I'll also never put anything of value in my luggage again, far too much hassle.

Advertisement