Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

great albums ruined by by one track

Options
  • 31-01-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

...not always ruined... sometimes just compromised.

examples...

I was listening to Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth and was thinking how much "Total Trash" upsets the flow for me. Likewise "Hot Wire My Heart" on their album Sister.

A lot of people dislike "We Will Fall" on the Stooges first album, I like the song, but I don't think it really fits and I have skipped it a few times when listening.

Disintegration would be better without Lullaby too.

Anyone else have examples of albums they love that could do without a track (or two)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

smokedeels wrote: »
    ...not always ruined... sometimes just compromised.

examples...

I was listening to Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth and was thinking how much "Total Trash" upsets the flow for me. Likewise "Hot Wire My Heart" on their album Sister.

A lot of people dislike "We Will Fall" on the Stooges first album, I like the song, but I don't think it really fits and I have skipped it a few times when listening.

Anyone else have examples of albums they love, but could do without a track (or two)?

Why yes. At the End of a Perfect Day by Chris de Burgh is marred by the samba-ish Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Porcupine Tree's Deadwing album is let down by Lazarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I immediately thought of We Will Fall when I saw the thread title.

Another example I can think of would be Voodoo Chile from Electric Ladyland. It's far too long and just ruins the flow of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Beth / Rest, on Bon Iver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Nearly every classic album has at least one song that upsets the flow. I always felt that Doolittle by the Pixies scores some minus points for 'Silver'. I don't feel that it adds anything to the album.

Also, I've never liked 'Jig of Life' on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love. Makes me cringe every time I hear it, despite the rest of the album being incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Knives Out from Radioheads Amnesiac, probably my least favourite of all their tracks. Just a dreary song that goes nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Beach Boys - Surf's Up [Student Demonstration Time - turgid and hackneyed]
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon [Money - should have used the demo]
    Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas [Wolf In The Breast - just dull]
    The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come [Death At One's Elbow - doesn't work]

Re Disintegration: I think the original 10 track LP works well. The two extra tracks on the CD are superfluous [especially Last Dance]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Yellow Submarine is a dreadful song from an otherwise perfect album, Revolver.

Any skit from any great hip hop album.

The Salmon Dance on The Chemical Brothers' Push The Button is a brutal song. Although I'm not sure I'd call it great but it's definitely very good.

The 20 minute jam session at the end of Da Capo by Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have never let one track ruin an album for me. You cant expect every single track on every album to be a gem. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Ruin is a bit strong. Maybe mar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Most Beatles albums by virtue of the standard Ringo track.
    How can Revolver have both Yellow Submarine and Tomorrow Never Knows within about 5 songs of each other.

Elizabeth My Dear on The Stone Roses
    Sound of Silver on Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem.
    Oh Daddy on Rumours by Fleetwood Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭lertsnim

My World on Use Your Illusion II. Some seem to like it but I always think "WTF was Axl Rose thinking"

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II

My World.

Seriously?

Edit: Dammit lertsnim beat me :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

stairway to heaven ruined the whole album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I might be alone on this but Wilco's Reservations just bores me. The album should have ended with Poor Places.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Could be controversial

But the long and winding road, really annoys me on Let it be

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Grayditch wrote: »
    Porcupine Tree's Deadwing album is let down by Lazarus.

Love that song, sorry. :o

Fitter Happier on OK Computer. Skip it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,747 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Side 2 of Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 EVOL1991

On Embryonic by the Flaming Lips I find I Can be a Frog to be very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Those who are bashing Yellow Submarine as not "fitting in" with the rest of Revolver are sort of missing the point.

I would say Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a far worse example, and side 1 of Abbey Road would be far better without it. They should've done a band version of Come And Get It and had that on it, if they hadn't been giving it to Badfinger. Or any number of George songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

' A man needs a maid' on Neil Youngs' Harvest.
    I wish he had put it as the last track. I usually just leave it out of the playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

LumpyGravy wrote: »
    ' A man needs a maid' on Neil Youngs' Harvest.
    I wish he had put it as the last track. I usually just leave it out of the playlist.

The version of it on Live At Massey Hall is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

magma69 wrote: »
    Yellow Submarine is a dreadful song from an otherwise perfect album, Revolver.

Any skit from any great hip hop album.

The Salmon Dance on The Chemical Brothers' Push The Button is a brutal song. Although I'm not sure I'd call it great but it's definitely very good.

The 20 minute jam session at the end of Da Capo by Love.

Many skits have made the albums better.

The second best is:

The best is this classic from Muthafuckin Henry....Henry....Henry.

Every line is genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I really enjoyed Karin Park's Highwire Poetry album, but I have to skip Something Different every time. I just don't like it. It sounds sort of "experimental" and doesn't match the rest of the album at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Can - Tago Mago

I could do without one or both of Aumgn and Peking O

Many skits have made the albums better.

The second best is:

The best is this classic from Muthafuckin Henry....Henry....Henry.

Every line is genius.

They are good the first time you hear them. Then they are annoying.

Those who are bashing Yellow Submarine as not "fitting in" with the rest of Revolver are sort of missing the point.

I would say Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a far worse example, and side 1 of Abbey Road would be far better without it. They should've done a band version of Come And Get It and had that on it, if they hadn't been giving it to Badfinger. Or any number of George songs.

What's the point?

If Nick Cave had left "Green Eyes" off of The Boatman's Call, that album would have been pretty much perfect from start to finish. Still an amazing album but I always press the stop button when "Far From Me" has finished.

When it comes to Radiohead I think "Faust Arp" upsets the flow of In Rainbows; it's not a terrible song but on a record where every other song is a beauty it really stands out as being just average. Also "Little by Little" is one of the worst songs they've ever done and really should have been left off TKOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

magma69 wrote: »
    What's the point?

The point of the song - its not just some dumb children's song, its a subversive acid-lullaby and the first Beatles song to make use of sound effects and crazy echo chambers, samples, and noises. This kind of thing had never been heard before, especially from the Beatles, and especially in one disguised as a children's song!

The fact it was released as a single with "Eleanor Rigby" - both McCartney songs - shows just how diverse and capable of variety the Beatles were. The Stones on the other hand, were still Bo Diddl-ing away.

In terms of the flow of Revolver, it comes after "Here There and Everywhere" and before "She Said She Said" - why not put it between a tender ballad and a blistering piece of acid guitar rock? It sits perfectly - every song on that album seems to belong to a different genre.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I can't stand 'Gommorah (A Nursery Rhyme)' on Cold Fact by Rodriguez... always have to skip it!

Advertisement