Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WATERFORD’S OLDEST PUB CLOSES ITS DOORS AFTER 300 YEARS

Options
  • 31-01-2014 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

News & Star By Darren Skelton

T&H Doolans has closed its doors today after over 300 years in business as a licensed premises. The pub was put on the market at the end of last year after its owner, Eamon Reid made the decision to retire from the business. The pub and restaurant, located on George’s Street and affectionately known to all as T&Hs, will now go to auction with an asking price of €330,000.

Mr Reid is well known for a number of high profile businesses that he has owned throughout the years including The Wimpy, Egans Bar and Restaurant, The Cleaboy Pub and The Old Stand. T&H Doolans is well known for its traditional music sessions that attracts tourists and locals in equal numbers and according to selling agent John Rohan, it dates back to the 1400s and has an extraordinarily cultural significance for Waterford City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Grand bar, visited there most times I was down Waterford direction. Didn't know that it had such a long history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I hope it will be back in business soon. If this was in Galway or Dublin it would be on the 9 o'clock news with all sorts saying that it's part of our cultural heritage.

I presume it's a listed building. Anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't they blend their own liqueur or am I thinking of another hostelry

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

mike65 wrote: »
    Didn't they blend their own liqueur or am I thinking of another hostelry

Hey Mike, I think your thinkin of Downes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am thanks. T&H is the place where I used to go to bang my head (literally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I remember heading out when I was about 17, and a couple of heads from deepest Dublin were with us. We were discussing where to go, and one of the Duubs piped up: "where are yiz bringin' us? Teenagers? Is dat de fookin nayum of de puub?"
    - "NO, it's TEE AND HAITCH'S, as in the letter T and the letter H!"

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Guramoogah

T&H Doolans was once owned by Liam Clancy of the Clancy Brothers. Sinéad O'Connor gave her first public performance in T&H's back in the 1980s while she was a student in Newtown School. Lovely pub. I spent many Saturday afternoons there, unwinding after the shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I used to drink there as a teenager in the late '70s. Sitting in there with friends on a Friday night, stoned out of our heads and sipping pints *sighs* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭jaykay74

We used to drink there around 92/93 when we were in the rtc. Used to be a fair few students at the time. The bok was good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

old gregg wrote: »
    I used to drink there as a teenager in the late '70s. Sitting in there with friends on a Friday night, stoned out of our heads and sipping pints *sighs* :)

Everyone in check lumberjack shirts and BIG jumpers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hopefully the new owner is a good one and keeps it going. Any visitors i ever had in Waterford loved the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Hopefully the new owner is a good one and keeps it going. Any visitors i ever had in Waterford loved the place.

Yeah hope so. Have moved from waterford nearly 15 years but everytime I go back to visit family I go for a drink here every time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah hope so. Have moved from waterford nearly 15 years but everytime I go back to visit family I go for a drink here every time.

Same as myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Everyone in check lumberjack shirts and BIG jumpers.

haha absolutely!!!!! and the waft of patchouli ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Had many good nights there. Strange place to be when the lights were switched on after closing time but outsiders loved the place.
    Sad to see the likes of Egans , The Old Stand & T&H's close.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Many a happy night in there. Was there before Christmas on a Friday and it wasn't busy at all. Wasn't surprised when I bought a round, prices never came down over the years. Obviously being winter and the pub not on a decent pub crawl route affects business. Lot of work to get punters down that way, ideal in one sense to try develop another waterford triangle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cyclone14

its a shame that our city night scene moved from the city centre down to johns street over the years, i still blame the pedestrianisation of micheal street,broad street and barronstrand street for the damage inflicted on waterfords night scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I think I read on here recently that the rates for T&H's are 25k a year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

cyclone14 wrote: »
    its a shame that our city night scene moved from the city centre down to johns street over the years, i still blame the pedestrianisation of micheal street,broad street and barronstrand street for the damage inflicted on waterfords night scene
    HAHA The
    SCC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

[AND Vote8474="nice_very;88770604"]I think I read on here recently,7TH 8+.that the rates for T&H's are 25k a year!!![/quote]

I q , B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I q , B [/QUOTE]

You have got to love a bit of drunk posting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

300 years old! What year did it start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cyclone14

the what now??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Sad to see it close but it was gone to the dogs over the last few years. Staff were awful in there, very ignorant & lots of people have been saying the same. The wife stormed out one night having been left waiting at the counter for 10 minutes while 2 staff members were chatting to the band that had just finished playing. Hopefully someone new will take it over & make a better go of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

did it ever get flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Motivator wrote: »
    Sad to see it close but it was gone to the dogs over the last few years. Staff were awful in there, very ignorant & lots of people have been saying the same. The wife stormed out one night having been left waiting at the counter for 10 minutes while 2 staff members were chatting to the band that had just finished playing. Hopefully someone new will take it over & make a better go of it.

Hate to admit it but I agree. One week they served food the next the didn't and the quality varied as much as the availability.

Used to be a great stopping ground lately is was just another one and done.

BTW, best of luck to the new owner, I'm sure the Waterford people will venture in

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Businesses come and go , sad to see any loss of jobs however the pub trade really has to take a good look at itself and the direction it needs to go, on Saying that they r taxed and rated up to the eyebrows
    So its a tough business to be in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Pub should never really have closed. People can blame the economy, location of the pub etc, but at the end of the day a pub with its history and uniqueness should be still in business. If it gets an owner that's committed and who hires quality staff (who aren't plucked from a nightclub) there is no reason why the pub shouldn't do well again in the future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It's value will surely decrease now that it's closed?

Advertisement