Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Of Leon & Kodaline Marlay Park July 4th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Fun was had. It rained the entire time. Spent almost as much time getting out and waiting on a bus, trying to find a taxi as we did in the gig. How were there no taxis!? Also linked up with a couple to share a taxi. Spent about an hour trying to flag one down. Crazy stuff.

Sound wasn't very good at all, not sharp enough on vocals anyway. But thought the fireworks were a great touch. Big fan of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

My pal drove over in my car, it was sweet just jumping into it and flying home at the end of the night. I had more craic chatting away to random people at the gig than watching the band if I'm honest.
    You meet the nicest of people at gigs, I burnt the ears off lot's of folks tonight and had a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

decent gig, sound was a bit off and the weather was absolute crap but thought the majority of people were just there to get wasted which is funny considering the horrific queues for beer. . was like the KOL was the backing soundtrack to a pish up. Man Ive been to marley park many times and I've never seen queues like that for beer before. As I was queuing the security guy says to me "Ive never seen so many people queue up before just to get ripped off".. very true :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

That was so much fun. First KOL gig that they interacted with the crowd. Kodaline were awesome. KOL were class. Lots of fun and dancing was had in the rain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Ps. I didn't see one scrote. Great crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbaM

Thought they smashed it to be honest.. some great oldies like King of the Rodeo and Trani played. Queues for drink were crazy and it was pity about the rain but still had a great night. Jared says it was the best show of the tour for him and Nathan reckons top 2 of his life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Someone answer the pit question, Arctic Monkeys ticket holders want to know this

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

There was no pit. There was a barrier to stop the crowd surge.

Thought it was an amazing night. The last international were crap. Kodaline were great and kol were amazing Must more relaxed than at slane. Which I think they have said is one of their favourite gigs.
    We were at the top to the right of the stage and the sound was terrible for the first band so we moved down a bit and it was much better. The queue for the beer was ridiculous luckily none of us were drinking. The rain was terrible but nothing you could do about that. Over all we had a brilliant night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Tilly wrote: »
    Ps. I didn't see one scrote. Great crowd.

Good point, it was a nicer crowd than previous KOL gigs!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

BubbaM wrote: »
    Thought they smashed it to be honest.. some great oldies like King of the Rodeo and Trani played. Queues for drink were crazy and it was pity about the rain but still had a great night. Jared says it was the best show of the tour for him and Nathan reckons top 2 of his life :)

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Dont all bands say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbaM

I'm sure most do yeah but I haven't seen them tweet anything like that about their other shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kings-of-leon/2014/marlay-park-dublin-ireland-7bc1fae8.html

I have to say it was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. The setlist alone was unbelievable. I got absolutely wet to the fandango but I didn't even realise until I got back to the car. They played everything I wanted! I thought it was really well organised too. We parked in Marlay Park. It took us a while to get out but nothing near as bad as Slane last year! I actually thought the rain made it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well they played Swansea the other day and just thanked the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Acid Tongue

What time was it finished? Time enough to get the Luas at Balally?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you can get out quick enough at the end (i.e. don't be messing about) and walk briskly enough you should be able to make the luas alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not 100% certain but I think it was about 10.45 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not 100% certain but I think it was about 10.45 ish.

Yup, it was around that time, and so was Arcade Fire.

313457.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

my 2 cents:

-missed most of Kodaline but their last few songs were good.
    -the queue for the beer were outrageous, surely they could have organised it better. also my SO was left with a dry night as they only sold beer and wine!!
    -I was half way from the stage and I thought the sound was good. I prefer to distance myself from the stage otherwise it just gets too tight and turns into a mosh pit.
    -the set-list was amazing, they played everything I was hoping for...Closer was amazing (does anyone know if he played the guitar with his mouth??)!!
    -The rain was fairly heavy towards the end but it didn't seem to dampen the mood.
    -The bottleneck crowd at the exit was crazy....I took the scenic route through the bushes :)

Overall a very good night but rain and queues could do with improvements :pac:

Can't believe there were no buses going. Didn't dublin bus say they were putting on extra buses for after the gig? That's what I thought I read. And the guards were telling us they'd be along but we never saw one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

Thought it was run quite well think that the rain made it better for some strange reason! I thought Kodaline were brill loved KoL set list don't think I have ever see him interact with crowd like that before he usually says one thing! Seen security at the bar turn away a good few for not having id I know they might have got drinks elsewhere but they were trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Great gig overall, like others said the setlist was amazing. Really delighted when they played Trani, wasn't expecting that. They did a serious bit of crowd interaction, I think he spoke more last night than the past 5 times I've seen KOL combined.

I had a nightmare of a time getting to/from Arcade Fire on Sunday, I walked straight to Dundrum after KOL, it was mobbed with people looking for taxis so I popped into one of the pubs on the main street, had 3 pints while the crowds cleared and got a taxi in less than a minute! And speaking of the queues, there was practically none for Pie Minister! That made me extremely happy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Food queue was fine, it was just the Heineken tents that were nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

lc180 wrote: »
    Great gig overall, like others said the setlist was amazing. Really delighted when they played Trani, wasn't expecting that. They did a serious bit of crowd interaction, I think he spoke more last night than the past 5 times I've seen KOL combined.

I had a nightmare of a time getting to/from Arcade Fire on Sunday, I walked straight to Dundrum after KOL, it was mobbed with people looking for taxis so I popped into one of the pubs on the main street, had 3 pints while the crowds cleared and got a taxi in less than a minute! And speaking of the queues, there was practically none for Pie Minister! That made me extremely happy.

Hi. I am not familiar with Marlay park. We are heading up next week to the monkeys.Would Dundrum be a good spot to have a couple of pints before the gig and walk to the gig.Is it doable.It also sounds like a good idea to return to Dundrum for a few and let the crowd die down and a taxi into town later.Has dundrum a few watering holes.What do yee think.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

skeg16 wrote: »
    -the set-list was amazing, they played everything I was hoping for...Closer was amazing (does anyone know if he played the guitar with his mouth??)!!
    :

Yeah he screams into the guitar pick ups to get that sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

theparish wrote: »
    Hi. I am not familiar with Marlay park. We are heading up next week to the monkeys.Would Dundrum be a good spot to have a couple of pints before the gig and walk to the gig.Is it doable.It also sounds like a good idea to return to Dundrum for a few and let the crowd die down and a taxi into town later.Has dundrum a few watering holes.What do yee think.Thanks.

Dundrum is a solid 20-25 minute walk from Marlay Park, if you don't have a bus booked or a lift organised I'd definitely walk straight to Dundrum afterwards. Its got a good few pubs but also the luas and a decent amounts of taxis, def a better option than trying to flag one down straight outside the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Can't believe there were no buses going. Didn't dublin bus say they were putting on extra buses for after the gig? That's what I thought I read. And the guards were telling us they'd be along but we never saw one.

On their website on the various pages for each of the Marlay Park gigs, MCD clearly outlined that Marathon Coaches, not Dublin Bus, were running shuttle bus services to and from Marlay Park for the gigs there.

They also had details of the various Dublin Bus services to the venue from the city centre, and made clear that Dublin Bus was running its normal services and that if anyone got to the venue by the normal Dublin Bus service, that there was no guarantee of getting that Dublin Bus service afterwards from the various bus stops near Marlay Park back into town.

They emphasised this, I presume, because the buses passing through the Grange Road area and from Ballinteer into town are not as frequent at night compared to during the day and also because there'd be hundreds more people looking to get it at the same time back into town.

http://www.mcd.ie/marlayinfo.pdf

http://www.mcd.ie/terms/

Thanks for that but I know I what I read. And besides that at least 3 guards told us there would be the 16 running once the roads opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Thanks for that but I know I what I read. And besides that at least 3 guards told us there would be the 16 running once the roads opened.

Can you post a link to the item you read?

I attended the Arcade Fire gig and I rang Dublin Bus to see were they putting on special shuttle services for any of the Marlay Park gigs and they said they were not.

The reason I rang is because they have done so in the past, for example when Santana and Meatloaf played in Marlay Park in 2002 and when Lenny Kravitz played there in 2008. He said they were not doing any direct shuttle services for these gigs.

The chap to whom I spoke said they were running their normal services, so even if there were more buses running on a Friday night as opposed to a Sunday night, there was still no certainty about there being room on any of the Dublin Buses heading back into town, to accommodate the large numbers of people waiting at the various bus stops near Marlay Park looking to get the buses at the same time.

Even if there was a 16 due, there's no guarantee that by the time it passed by your stop, that there'd be enough seats to accommodate everyone at the stop. It may even have been full and not stopped at all.

I have seen this happen after gigs in the RDS at the bus stop on the main road nearest the gate to the RDS, huge numbers waiting at a stop, bus goes by full without stopping, having picked up people at the bus stop further up the road, then people legging it down the road trying to hail taxis.

Anyway, I don't see how the Gardaí to whom you spoke could possibly know if there was a number 16 bus due to pass by at any specific time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scotlad

We ended up walking in a random direction (lost) to get away from the crowds ended up in a pub in Ballinteer beside Supervalu had two drinks and got a taxi after no problem..there seemed to be plenty of people doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

scotlad wrote: »
    We ended up walking in a random direction (lost) to get away from the crowds ended up in a pub in Ballinteer beside Supervalu had two drinks and got a taxi after no problem..there seemed to be plenty of people doing the same.

Can't see how that's not a win win situation. :)

Advertisement