Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Marathon/Half/6 mile/relay May 4th

Options
  • 31-01-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Last year's thread

website

I'm in, and looking at hotels
    Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Doing the full Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

I am in two minds about doing the marathon but the other half told me yesterday that this will be my only chance of doing a marathon this year as we have a small one on the way at the end of May!! I had planned to do Dublin again this year (and possibly Dingle) but the boss said there is no way I was going out for runs 5 times a week while she is at home holding the baby… suppose can’t argue with her really!!

I have been reading up on the course and it gets good enough reviews only downside seems to be the loneliness of the course if you are not in a pace group, what do people think of it that ran it previously? I presume it’s not going to sell out anything soon?? I plan to hedge my bets until the very last minute but will do the training anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Is it safe to run round limerick lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    I have been reading up on the course and it gets good enough reviews only downside seems to be the loneliness of the course if you are not in a pace group, what do people think of it that ran it previously?

My only comparison is with Dublin but it looks like you could be running on your own a fair amount
    last year's results show only 100 people between 2:29 and 3:25, that's a lot of gaps. But with the cancellation of Kildare there could be a few more people heading down.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I'm in.

Hotel booked - they are all quite expensive.

• Advertisement

I'm in.

Hotel booked - they are all quite expensive.

I'm contemplating on coming up on the morning (from Cork) and have a friend collect my number the day before hand from the expo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

colin32 wrote: »
    Is it safe to run round limerick lol
    Yep , it's safe from the d***h***s you get in north Dublin at least !........LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Did it last year, was my first. Can get lonely alright, not a whole lot do it. Dont like the way they do a relay tbh, nothing worse than you beginning to struggle at 20/21 miles and some fella legs it by you fresh as a daisy. I also found the hills near the end very tough, up around Thomond. I found Dublin much easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I'm doing it! Have it booked since September !!it'll be my first marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angrykoala

My first marathon aswell. Here goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It will be my first marathon too, haven't signed up yet, will see how the training goes.

Picking it, cause its early in the year, close (I'm in mayo), and supposedly a good flat(ish) course.

Have heard its a lonely course alrite, if you are not in a group, so I am hoping to be able to start & stick with a pace group, all going well.

What time are the pacers running?

Half: 1.30, 1.40, 1.50, 2, 2.15
    Full: 3, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4, 4.30, 5

Any hotels doing deals for the runners eg early breakfast and late check out?

viperlogic wrote: »
    Any hotels doing deals for the runners eg early breakfast and late check out?

Just noticed also that about 80% of the hotels are within or on the course so no one will be getting out fast if they so wish to do so!

Any half marathon on leading up to the GLR? I see there is Wexford on the 27th April but that is too close. PS hotel booked, some good deals on trivago, near half the price what the hotels are asking directly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Any half marathon on leading up to the GLR? I see there is Wexford on the 27th April but that is too close. PS hotel booked, some good deals on trivago, near half the price what the hotels are asking directly

If you are in the west, there is Kinvara Half Marathon in Galway on March 1st.

Mount Juliet half on the 14th of feb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I've entered Meath (Bohermeen) as a prep Half for Limerick.

Any bit closer to Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

10 mile race in Cobh on April 13th would suit you to a T !!

http://www.greatisland10.com/go/Default.aspx

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    10 mile race in Cobh on April 13th would suit you to a T !!

http://www.greatisland10.com/go/Default.aspx

On yes, forgot about that race, prob forgot it for a reason, its a very tough 10 miler!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

in for the half. had said last year i would do the marathon, but it wold destroy the training schedule so the half it is

I know it's a while away yet but where's the best place to park in the city close to the marathon start line?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'd suggest one of the car parks near the clarion, short walk up to the start and finish line, and close to the motorway to get out pretty much any direction out of the city straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Apologies if there is already a post for this - I couldn't find one! Just keen to hear from other people who have done this before and what it's like?! It'll be my fifth half marathon but first time doing this race. It was quite expensive to sign up but with Kildare cancelled, am keen to get a spring half under my belt.

Also, I saw their recommended half marathon training plan online for a beginner.
    http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/participants/training/marathonhalf
    Am I totally lazy or is this far too much for a beginner? I'm following the Hal Higdon intermediate Half Marathon plan, but upping the long runs to 15 miles a fortnight before the race, as my two PBs so far have been while I'm marathon training, and it's nowhere near as intense as this plan. On the flip side, the long runs in this plan don't go past 9 miles, which also seems a bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Sorry about that. Searched but couldn't find it! Can you merge my above post with that thread?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Finnt wrote: »
    I know it's a while away yet but where's the best place to park in the city close to the marathon start line?

Park at the court house. Nice and close to the Locke bar for afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Thinking of signing up for the marathon.

Is it just me or is the website for the marathon very jumbled up, not easy to see the details ?

any recommendations on places to stay ?

Advertisement