Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discussing The Merits Of Merits

• 31-01-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭

Let's hear all those theories :D

Personally I would like a summary of how the merit list worked in previous campaigns. Once the AC's are done and dusted do you get a ranking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

Rather than theories a point we should bear in mind. Approx 8000 applied, approx 1200 are completing the ac (going by guesstimates). So 1 in 12 should be passing assuming 100 are being accepted. Take the vetting and pca out of the equation we probably have a 1 in 10 chance of getting into garnerville which is better than 1 in 80. We should be proud of being in the top 25 percent and here's hoping we make it all the way.

To through another spanner in I would guess more psni funding will come on the back of any Haass agreement. The political leaders have been told that more money will be available if an agreement is reached. We in NI probably have more police per head of population than the rest of uk because of our unique situation. I would expect that more money will not be announced before the new financial year in April (probably mid march). So for the moment I reckon 100 starts in batches of 25's or 50's with the plan of quickly starting more. But will the starts be delayed until Baggot retires and have a sweetener for the new chief? Bottom line is the psni needs officers on the ground and it is all political.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

"I believe what Shield was saying is that if someone performs above and beyond then they'll not wait until all AC's are done.

The other issue with first come first served is that Deloitte chose the dates. How can that be fair and open??"

I don't believe that what shield describes constitutes first come first served, certainly not in relation to AC anyway.

As long as those who are offered places are in the top x number of applicants where there are x jobs it is all good.

If anything it is gettin at first come first served in relation to vetting, but they can,t delay getting bums in seats for months on end waiting for a handful of candidates vetting to be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

I have it on good authority that the first intake will be in May. Which would mean that the job offers would have to ho out in april.

In my opinion this doesn't give a lot of time for everyone to complete PCA, vetting, Medical and online learning course in time for a job offer in time for April.

HR have maybe sent out vetting/ PCA invites to the higher scorers in the early AC in the hope that they will fall within the appointable range of candidates when they are ready to make offers.

gmck26 wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that the first intake will be in May. Which would mean that the job offers would have to ho out in april.

In my opinion this doesn't give a lot of time for everyone to complete PCA, vetting, Medical and online learning course in time for a job offer in time for April.

HR have maybe sent out vetting/ PCA invites to the higher scorers in the early AC in the hope that they will fall within the appointable range of candidates when they are ready to make offers.

I certainly hope so, I'd start immediately if given half a chance!

I heard late may or even 1st week in june. All they'll be doing is speeding things up at the back end. They pca and medicals could be done within a week. Vetting could be slow but they could get over depts involved to help. But then how many intakes will there be... A class of 100 would be too big for a lot of things. Is online learning not following the offer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

From what I understand vetting takes on average 6 weeks.

For the medical you have a large questionnaire to complete which has to be verified by your GP. So you have to allow 2 weeks to be checked and for an appointment to be made with an ohw doctor to complete medical. Also your hair sample has to be sent off and checked for any illegal substances in your system ( allow a minimum of 1 - 2 weeks for this)

Maybe the online is completed after offer but the process above all takes time so I would a minimum of one month after your PCA as time when everything could be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

At the PCA familiarisation event last night we were informed that they are being run over 2 days with 3 sessions a day and approximately 15 people in each one. Going on this it would seem that there are between 90-100 people that received invites from first batch of AC's.

8 days to go till our merit theories get tested. I wonder though how many that have passed pca will go through now? When will the 378 be starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

TDA2 wrote: »
    8 days to go till our merit theories get tested. I wonder though how many that have passed pca will go through now? When will the 378 be starting?

Im hoping that the folk who have been put ggrough pca etc are maybe in thr running to get in first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

student15 wrote: »
    Im hoping that the folk who have been put ggrough pca etc are maybe in thr running to get in first?

Ultimately I imagine that will be plan. However, I suppose it will depend on how those scores add up.

If successful I'd be more than happy not to go in first. Just keep those rooms tidy for us :pac:

• Advertisement

Merit Question

Can any previous applicants answer these?

What were merit scores based on & out of? Is a higher number good?
    Also is it broken down; I assume it is essentially a breakdown of your AC.
    Do you get an indication of where you placed compared to other applicants i.e. 74/168.

Finally, do you think it will be the same process this time? Everything else is different to previous campaigns; why not the merit list?

Homer01 wrote: »
    Merit Question

Can any previous applicants answer these?

What were merit scores based on & out of? Is a higher number good?
    Also is it broken down; I assume it is essentially a breakdown of your AC.
    Do you get an indication of where you placed compared to other applicants i.e. 74/168.

Finally, do you think it will be the same process this time? Everything else is different to previous campaigns; why not the merit list?

The scores are broken down by each competancy that was listed. Of the top of my head there were 7. You have to pass each one and the overall score may be out of 10, but if one competancy is more important it could be out of a higher amount. Generally it will be marked out of 70 (or with adjusted weighting out of 100), with the highest being best. From what I've been told is the breakdown and ranking won't be released till April. But here is the catch... 100 people could have identical scores in each area, many with the same ist result. If this happens I'm guessing its down to the pca times if the event of a tie.

It can be cruel, but is fair. It is a proven system that works. I do not know if the merit list will be realised, as it can cause a few childish arguments as to who is best! If the top 478 (not counting the ones who fail elsewhere or dropout) make it to GV in the next year its Happy Days. The order of entry is the bit that appears more unfair - do you drink the cream first or the milk; maybe you shake it before you drink to get a more balanced flavour!

TDA2 wrote: »
    The scores are broken down by each competancy that was listed. Of the top of my head there were 7. You have to pass each one and the overall score may be out of 10, but if one competancy is more important it could be out of a higher amount. Generally it will be marked out of 70 (or with adjusted weighting out of 100), with the highest being best. From what I've been told is the breakdown and ranking won't be released till April. But here is the catch... 100 people could have identical scores in each area, many with the same ist result. If this happens I'm guessing its down to the pca times if the event of a tie.

It can be cruel, but is fair. It is a proven system that works. I do not know if the merit list will be realised, as it can cause a few childish arguments as to who is best! If the top 478 (not counting the ones who fail elsewhere or dropout) make it to GV in the next year its Happy Days. The order of entry is the bit that appears more unfair - do you drink the cream first or the milk; maybe you shake it before you drink to get a more balanced flavour!

I wouldn't imagine there would be too many who get the exact same scores in IST and AC. I hope they don't use pca time as mine probably wasn't great!

I hope they do give out merit place next week only because it gives you an idea of how hopeful to be or not be.

I can't ever see PCA times being used as a 'tie breaker'.

It really is a stressful process. You pass the IST, yay, but you still have the AC. You pass it, yay, but you still have PCA, Vetting & Medical. You pass all those, yay, but you're still not guaranteed a place :eek:

However, getting in must be a huge sense of accomplishment :D

Nearly tempted to start a new thread entitled "asylum or Garnerville." It will apply to about 99% of us!

I wouldn't mind if we were all the same stage of the process. Some of the better ones won't make first cut. Any conspiracy theories about when the 378 are due to start, for the ones the don't make the top 100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Intakes are meant to begin in* may, presumably they will continue every month/6 weeks from then on

*Post amended by Shield for the reason below.

Advertisement