Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The tax disk

• 30-01-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

If you keep your tax disc on you like some people have mentioned here then is it possible to get a fine from the guards/traffic wardon when parked up in a public place? (In the same fashion as cars can be caught)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

martomcg wrote: »
    If you keep your tax disc on you like some people have mentioned here then is it possible to get a fine from the guards/traffic wardon when parked up in a public place? (In the same fashion as cars can be caught)
    Not sure, a garda probably could, but I doubt he'd bother his arse, expecially if he found out the tax was paid. And he'd have to look around the bike to make sure he hasn't missed it. As I said, I doubt he'd bother his arse.
    They're getting rid of tax discs in the UK, they reckon they're not checked manually over there. Wonder if they'll do that here? Probably not for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

martomcg wrote: »

A lot of Gardai keep their own tax discs attached under the seat, so I presume that there is some sort of understanding that a bike isn't necessarily going to have a tax disc on show despite what's supposed to happen.

That said, if you get the fine, don't you just have to present the tax disc and it's immediately done away with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

A lot of Gardai keep their own tax discs attached under the seat, so I presume that there is some sort of understanding that a bike isn't necessarily going to have a tax disc on show despite what's supposed to happen.

That said, if you get the fine, don't you just have to present the tax disc and it's immediately done away with?

Not exactly, there are two different offenses which can both be used: no tax & failure to display tax, so even if you had taxed it, they could do you for failure to display.

Reality is you'd want to get some really picky Garda to do you for it.

I've never had my disk tampered with, in the 9 years of biking and parking in Dublin City centre almost daily. What do they get from taking the disk? Is it jus for the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

colm_c wrote: »

I've never had my disk tampered with, in the 9 years of biking and parking in Dublin City centre almost daily. What do they get from taking the disk? Is it jus for the craic?

I've had my licence plate stolen, I don't want some cnut stealing my tax disc as well and getting away with the 88 a year :pac:

But mostly it's because I couldn't be bothered to get a Tax Disc Holder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

presume they pinch them to use em themselves - hoping that the gard that stops them next wont look too carefully at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from an unrelated thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I've had 2 tax discs taken off the bike in recent years, pain in the ass, always carry it with my license now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anytime I've been stopped by the cops I've told them the tax disc is in my licence wallet and offer to take it out for them, without exception they've accepted this and waved me on.

When Dublin had traffic wardens I used to park all over the city and never had an issue with wardens either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I used to drive a bike, I had my tax disc robbed and the guards found it on a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Non display is a finable offence, most gardai will check and are generally ok but the local traffic warden used to be a complete ***** if he couldn't see it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would not chance this myself I always have it on show....but if I was commuting on the bike leaving it parked around in public I would more then likely do the same and keep it in my wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Same as with a car, I'd be more worried about a traffic warden if it's parked in a public place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

It really is not worth the hassle of trying to get it sorted out if a traffic warden fines you while the bike is parked, it also helps to keep the dirt off my license place so I leave it on...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Anytime I've been stopped by the cops I've told them the tax disc is in my licence wallet and offer to take it out for them, without exception they've accepted this and waved me on.

When Dublin had traffic wardens I used to park all over the city and never had an issue with wardens either.

yeah but you are kinda big
    so maybe.......

Advertisement