Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

exam results

• 31-01-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me when to expect results of christmas exams and also how do you get them - do you just check moodle?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

They're usually posted up on the various departmental notice boards, wherever they are. In the Ancient Classics and Philosophy departments, for instance, the notice boards are beside the secretaries' offices. Some departments will put them up on Moodle I think. Usually they appear within the first two or three weeks of Semester 2, but the odd department might not put them up until March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

thanks for the speedy reply! Good to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

If you do Science, the maths department are usually first and will have them the end of the first week back followed by the Biology department on the second week. The Chemistry department are usually one of the last science departments to release results.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

Is it just a list of student numbers and their result that will be up? Can we check our student portal? :) thanks

aoife524 wrote: »
    Is it just a list of student numbers and their result that will be up? Can we check our student portal? :) thanks

In my experience it has just been a huge list of student numbers with a grade beside them. It's very easy to read the wrong results that way so just be careful. I thought I passed Maths, but when I looked at the board again I realised I had failed :o The results will be on notice boards only and the summer results will be on the student portal.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much will have a look towards the end of the week :)

aoife524 wrote: »
    Thanks very much will have a look towards the end of the week :)

They will be announced on Moodle or by email anyway and it usually spreads like wildfire so don't waste trips during the week.

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Petermt

Would results from MCQ exams be posted more quickly than normal written exams or is it the same difference? Im studying business

Petermt wrote: »
    Would results from MCQ exams be posted more quickly than normal written exams or is it the same difference? Im studying business

I'd say it just depends on when your department plans on releasing results. They can pretty much take as long they like and if I'm correct, they don't actually have to release these results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Petermt

Boeing777 wrote: »
    . They can pretty much take as long they like and if I'm correct, they don't actually have to release these results.

Wait what? How are we meant to know how we did then?

Petermt wrote: »
    Wait what? How are we meant to know how we did then?

Sorry I didn't mean to scaremonger :pac: What I meant was, there's nothing there saying they must release semester 1 results. The results in semester 1 are only provisional and in June you get your official results on the internet with both semesters results there. So technically you could just get them then. BUT, no department is going to leave everyone waiting until then (I would hope) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NicolaB94

What's the story with this pass by compensation? What happens if you fail one module in a subject but pass the other?

NicolaB94 wrote: »
    What's the story with this pass by compensation? What happens if you fail one module in a subject but pass the other?

Is the subject maths? I know how passing by compensation works in Science but I wouldn't be too sure for any other courses. For science, in first year you do 4 subjects. To pass by compensation you need to pass 3 subjects out of the 4 and have an average greater than 40% across the 4 subjects. The failed subject must be over 25% to compensate. Does that help in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NicolaB94

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Is the subject maths? I know how passing by compensation works in Science but I wouldn't be too sure for any other courses. For science, in first year you do 4 subjects. To pass by compensation you need to pass 3 subjects out of the 4 and have an average greater than 40% across the 4 subjects. The failed subject must be over 25% to compensate. Does that help in any way?

the subject is history :(

NicolaB94 wrote: »
    the subject is history :(

Ok well this link might give you some more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know if the provisional results usually change and if so by much?
    Also, do people think that 70+ as a provisional result should be broken down into more specific ranges?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Got an average of 70 in one subject and an average of 58 in the other. A nice comfortable 2:1 average overall for 1st semester :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I finally got my results back :/ Everything was okay except one - I had a good average until one of my exams was just 40% - which I was absolutely shocked by as I thought I done amazing in the exam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

DylanII wrote: »
    I finally got my results back :/ Everything was okay except one - I had a good average until one of my exams was just 40% - which I was absolutely shocked by as I thought I done amazing in the exam!

Same situation .. Luckily I'm in third/final year and I can repeat that one to improve the grade even though it wasn't a fail ... Thank god !
    Did you have much ca in this subject? Would it be worth repeating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Same situation .. Luckily I'm in third/final year and I can repeat that one to improve the grade even though it wasn't a fail ... Thank god !
    Did you have much ca in this subject? Would it be worth repeating?

I too am in final year so I will be repeating. There was no CA in it at all, only thing it that a lot of people in my class had the same situation with it, so Im a little worried that even if I do repeat then itll still be graded very hard (although the lecturer has since left to go to another University)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Any chance at all a 69.3% would be rounded to a 1.1?

It's so irritating knowing I was so close to it, and it was a module I absolutely detested which makes it all the more irritating :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Any chance at all a 69.3% would be rounded to a 1.1?

It's so irritating knowing I was so close to it, and it was a module I absolutely detested which makes it all the more irritating :pac:

Generally, yes. My degree grade was 691, and it's a first.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I was talking to Rose in the Academic Advisory Office and she told me that a 59.1 was a 2.1 so I'd imagine that it'd be the same idea for a first.

Advertisement