Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Cannabis Propaganda!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That would be a second party facepalm. If you're going to try and insult me at least get it right..
    No insult intended, just joshing you ;)

Chill, take a load off, relax...want a hit bro? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

ScumLord wrote: »
    tobacco is the real gateway drug and not just because it's the first drug young people interact with.

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/november2011/11212011nicotine.htm

i can accept that no bother, and weed is the next rung on the ladder.. Some will stop there some will go on, just the same as some never even smoke tobacco.

point is making it out to be harmless does nobody any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

tbh I couldn't be arsed considering you're already descending into ignorant generalisations and have already started putting words in my mouth

Enjoy the hockey though
    Uh huh. You don't really have an argument at all do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Uh huh. You don't really have an argument at all do you?

Educate yourself. I'm not in the business of trawling the internet for links to studies for people throwing the "smelly hippy" card around with along with their ignorant outdated views on cannabis

Once you're finished that, search for Luke Ming Flanagans talk in UCD about cannabis. Can't stand him myself but it's a brilliant talk and he quotes numerous studies from Universities around the world that discount some of the idiotic myths already spouted as fact in this thread

btw, I don't even smoke myself, but I find the continued failed prohabition of a plant that is a lot less harmful than alcohol absolutely idiotic

It never ceases to amaze me, the zealots pushing their agenda from both camps.

Basically we are all adults, we make our own choices, right or wrong...

If I want to smoke cannabis, that's my prerogative, I don't give a sh*t if it's illegal...

If it's doing me harm, I accept the consequences!

If you don't want to smoke it, don't smoke it, nobodies forcing you to.

I'm not standing in judgement of anyone, why do the anti-cannabis brigade feel they have the right to judge me?

Life's to short, get on with yours & I'll get on with mine...live & let live!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

What was her underlying health problems ? after investigation it will be shown that this unfortunate lady either had underlying health problems and they are using this as a forwardness in demonising cannabis.
    It is "believed" mother-of-three suffered a heart attack "triggered" by the drug.

Well I can "believe" that my indigestion was Triggered by a packet of bon-bons, but this might not be the case, as I also had curry earlier and cheddar cheese, but maybe it was from drinking a pint of cider I believe ?

They believe this is the case, but maybe the poor lady just died of natural causes as any-one no matter what age can suddenly have a heart attack.

This Tripe from the Dailymail, without having her full previous health records at hand, and blurt out the first narrow-minded thing to gain popularity in pseudo-news just shows you that they will upload news without proper investigation. It's always the easy route to take and cause a storm because of unrealistic/false statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Manach wrote: »
    In other words, a mainsteam media outlet has published an article providing a warning on the perils of a gateway drug. Now, if it could be established a link existed between this and the inclination to write hyperbolic posts then that would be headline news.

I love how this propaganda still gains traction when everyone's first drug is coffee or tea before smoking ciggs, drinking beer and then trying a harmless plant only to fall down a well and end up on the streets giving hand jobs for cash.

MonstaMash wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me, the zealots pushing their agenda from both camps.

Basically we are all adults, we make our own choices, right or wrong...

If I want to smoke cannabis, that's my prerogative, I don't give a sh*t if it's illegal...

If you don't want to smoke it, don't smoke it, nobodies forcing you to.

I'm not standing in judgement of anyone, why do the anti-cannabis brigade feel they have the right to judge me?

Life's to short, get on with yours & I'll get on with mine...live & let live!

my issue is not with adults who smoke. Its with those who encourage youngsters to do it

if an adult makes a decision for themselves that doesn't concern me, when kids are given drink or drugs or cigarettes and are told/read/hear its all ok that annoys me.

i think we have to be prepared to admit that anything we enjoy seems to carry some danger be it eating cream cakes, drinking, smoking, bungee jumping.... The ability to make informed decisions is key and the highlighting of this story just points out another side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm as pro-weed as the next man but I'll never watch one of those hour+ docs.

Educate yourself. I'm not in the business of trawling the internet for links to studies for people throwing the "smelly hippy" card around with along with their ignorant outdated views on cannabis
    Who are you to say what's "outdated"? For every study the shows cannabis is safe there's another showing it's not. The truth is we don't know the long term effects the drug has on mental health and until we do it should remain illegal.
    Once you're finished that, search for Luke Ming Flanagans talk in UCD about cannabis. Can't stand him myself but it's a brilliant talk and he quotes numerous studies from Universities around the world that discount some of the idiotic myths already spouted as fact in this/ thread
    Nevermind addressing UCD Ming is an unconvicted criminal who hides behind his position and parliamentary privilege to escape justice. I despise the man and all he stands for.
    btw, I don't even smoke myself, but I find the legalisation of a plant that is a lot less harmful than alcohol absolutely idiotic
    Less harmful than alcohol? That has never been proven conclusively. If you know something the eggheads don't then by all means don't keep the information to yourself.

• Advertisement

my issue is not with adults who smoke. Its with those who encourage youngsters to do it

if an adult makes a decision for themselves that doesn't concern me, when kids are given drink or drugs or cigarettes and are told/read/hear its all ok that annoys me.

i think we have to be prepared to admit that anything we enjoy seems to carry some danger be it eating cream cakes, drinking, smoking, bungee jumping.... The ability to make informed decisions is key and the highlighting of this story just points out another side.

I've never seen anyone give a child a fag and tell them it's ok, nevermind a joint

Sadly I have seen children being introduced to drink like that though

Who are you to say what's "outdated"? For every study the shows cannabis is safe there's another showing it's not. The truth is we don't know the long term effects the drug has on mental health and until we do it should remain illegal.

Nevermind addressing UCD Ming is an unconvicted criminal who hides behind his position and parliamentary privilege to escape justice. I despise the man and all he stands for.

Less harmful than alcohol? That has never been proven conclusively. If you know something the eggheads don't then by all means don't keep the information to yourself.

Far too much outstanding ignorance in one post. I've better things to do with my Friday night. I feel sorry for people like you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

FFS are you joking me?

Agreed 100%

Far too much outstanding ignorance in one post. I've better things to do with my Friday night. I feel sorry for people like you

Feel sorry for the addicts. They need it.

The only people that should be against Cannibas legalisation is drug-dealers.

FFS are you joking me?

Nope. For every study that claims to prove it another will contradict. It hasn't been proven conclusively.

I've never seen anyone give a child a fag and tell them it's ok, nevermind a joint

Sadly I have seen children being introduced to drink like that though

I've never seen a priest molest a child, does that mean it doesn't happen

I've never seen a priest molest a child, does that mean it doesn't happen

good, albeit rather disturbing point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

@ Iwasfrozen
    Less harmful than alcohol? That has never been proven conclusively

The only thing alcohol does above moderation is drive people insane, or for a lot of people, sick and violent. It's a serious problem. Cannabis has many medicinal health properties of which have been proven over and over again Ad nauseam. Study it if you ever have time, because your comment above is nonsensical, and of which has no basis in real-world scientific studies regarding Cannabis.

• Advertisement

Cannibas has been used for centurys and only banned in the middle of last century, before that you bought it in the chemist. The long term effects are well known if not published.

Good for you vote for someone else
    Yes Hospitals are full during the weekend with gobshítes who have either hurt themselves or poisoned themselves or attacking staff and general public not to mention the families torn apart . Its a massive strain on the HSE.
    Now tell me the numbers of cannibas users who end up in hospital or the drunk tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A lethal dose of cannabis being over a kilo of the stuff I'd say this is more a case of Cannabis Smoker has Undiagnosed Heart Problem.
    UCDVet wrote: »
    Yes - lots of things are correlated with an increased risk of heart attack. That means, even if it's rare, it happens. It's measurable and it's real.

Caffeine is also one.
    In the new study, moderate coffee drinkers (those who consumed two or three cups a day) raised their risk of having a heart attack by 60% by drinking a cup of coffee.

I'm not saying I wouldn't drink coffee for fear of a heart-attack, but I also wouldn't call it propaganda when someone tells me caffeine can trigger a heart attack.
    Even at that it's relative to the individual. A increase risk of 60% doesn't mean that someone who has a coffee has a 60% chance of having a heart attack, it means that if you have a 1% risk of having a heart attack, and that that was raised by 60%, you'd have a 1.6% chance of having a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

It's been pretty conclusively shown that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61462-6/fulltext
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(07)60464-4/fulltext

Of course, if you have any evidence to show the opposite, please feel free to share.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

penguin88 wrote: »
    It's been pretty conclusively shown that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61462-6/fulltext
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(07)60464-4/fulltext

Of course, if you have any evidence to show the opposite, please feel free to share.

Dont hold your breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Thats impossible since the active ingredient in cannabis is not toxic. Whereas alcohol actually is. I think they got that wrong but Im not surprised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

zenno wrote: »
    @ Iwasfrozen

The only thing alcohol does above moderation is drive people insane, or for a lot of people, sick and violent. It's a serious problem. Cannabis has many medicinal health properties of which have been proven over and over again Ad nauseam. Study it if you ever have time, because your comment above is nonsensical, and of which has no basis in real-world scientific studies regarding Cannabis.

Don't mind him, he's an expert on nothing and pretty much wrong about everything.

Wow What's this the hate iwasfrozen club? Karma I know you're obsessed but can you hold yourself for at least one thread? As to the serious posters I'm on my phone at the moment I'll respond when I'm on my laptop if you all can manage to contain yourselves until then ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Wow What's this the hate iwasfrozen club? Karma I know you're obsessed but can you hold yourself for at least one thread? As to the serious posters I'm on my phone at the moment I'll respond when I'm on my laptop if you all can manage to contain yourselves until then ;-)

Don't flatter yourself, I will admit I find you entertaining on occasion simply because I find that young people with ultra conservative views wildly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

zenno wrote: »
    This Tripe from the Dailymail, without having her full previous health records at hand, and blurt out the first narrow-minded thing to gain popularity in pseudo-news
    To be fair, if you do a search on google you'll find all the news sources reported it the same way.
    Who's encouraging children to smoke it?
    Ming has been a champion for cannabis legalisation for decades, he's not hiding behind anything. But it's not surprising that people insist on creating imaginary monsters out of ordinary people to try and somewhat justify their completely irrational hatred of that person.

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    Don't flatter yourself, I will admit I find you entertaining on occasion simply because I find that young people with ultra conservative views wildly amusing.

Nothing wrong with a bit of self flattery. I'm glad I entertain you though diversity of opinion is what makes this site so interesting.

Advertisement