Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Cannabis Propaganda!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

robman60 wrote: »
    I would have instantly agreed with you guys condemning this as propaganda until last year.

I used to smoke occasionally, maybe once or twice a month, never any problems of any description. Anyway, went smoking with a few friends and as always, no problems at all. When I got home my heart rate starts going absolutely crazy as in my stomach was nearly shaking it was so fast.

Had to get my parents to bring me to the doctor instantly and then got hospitalised. Heart rate didn't return to normal until the following evening. Honestly thought I might die that night and was the most frightening experience I've had. Stayed in for approximately 40 hours. No alcohol was involved. Subsequent tests showed my heart is healthy.

I know lots of people who smoke and I don't know anyone else who's experienced something like me, but surely this shows it's a dangerous drug for the minority of which I'm a member.

Anyone wish to dispute that?

yes. ill dispute it. unless your medical record says that it was 100% specifically brought on by cannabis, ill dispute it.

AND EVEN THEN...

if you bought a 50 bag of weed off the local corner dealer then who knows what else was sprayed on it for weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I would have instantly agreed with you guys condemning this as propaganda until last year.

I used to smoke occasionally, maybe once or twice a month, never any problems of any description. Anyway, went smoking with a few friends and as always, no problems at all. When I got home my heart rate starts going absolutely crazy as in my stomach was nearly shaking it was so fast.

Had to get my parents to bring me to the doctor instantly and then got hospitalised. Heart rate didn't return to normal until the following evening. Honestly thought I might die that night and was the most frightening experience I've had. Stayed in for approximately 40 hours. No alcohol was involved. Subsequent tests showed my heart is healthy.

I know lots of people who smoke and I don't know anyone else who's experienced something like me, but surely this shows it's a dangerous drug for the minority of which I'm a member.

Anyone wish to dispute that?

What did the ingredients list say on your pack of cannabis?
    Maybe you had a reaction to an additive in it.
    What did the producer list as the THC to CBD ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

mikom wrote: »
    What did the ingredients list say on your pack of cannabis?
    Maybe you had a reaction to an additive in it.
    What did the producer list as the THC to CBD ratio?

You're bringing in the separate argument of legalisation. Of course it could have been sprayed with dog urine for all I know.

One doctor said it was caused by the weed but the other couldn't be sure. I had one-third of a joint since then and my heart rate increased to a rate that would be on par with running but fortunately it wasn't nearly as bad as the previous time. I decided that I'd just quit for good after that as I figured it's not worth the risk. It's notable that this weed was bought in a different county to the weed that lead to me being hospitalised. Of course they could both have been sprayed, though. In total, there were six different people smoking with me on those two occasions and none of them had a similar reaction.

I don't know why you guys are so eager to dismiss what I'm saying. All I'm aiming to convey is that there appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

Some people just refuse to believe that it can do any harm at all. It's people like this that are as big an impediment as the anti-drugs types to getting it legalised, as their behaviour is likely to justify what the anti side say and believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

god wrote:
    Genesis 1-11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

There it is first page of the bible

• Advertisement

I don't know why you guys are so eager to dismiss what I'm saying. All I'm aiming to convey is that there appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from weed.

I hear what you are saying, robman60.

You could also say.......

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from peanuts.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Sesame seeds.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from shellfish.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Gluten.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Dairy.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Soya.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Eggs.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from flashing images.

If you have a bad reaction, it's best to stay away.

Gluten does not agree with me so I stay away from it, even though I drool at herself tackling into a crusty tiger loaf.
    You won't get me decrying Gluten as the devil though.
    I would not like to see farmers who grow wheat locked up, neither would I like my missus locked up for dogging into a loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I hear what you are saying, robman60.

You could also say.......

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from peanuts.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Sesame seeds.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from shellfish.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Gluten.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Dairy.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Soya.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from Eggs.

There appears to be a minority which may be susceptible to serious adverse health risks from flashing images.

If you have a bad reaction, it's best to stay away.

Are there any long term mental side-effects from taking any of the above?

Not enough is known about long-term moderate to heavy cannabis use yet for any of us to make a call

Some of the heavier drug users I know still call it one of the more subtly risky (psychological) drugs out there

I have personal and anecdotal examples of how it can affect certain people in certain ways (psychologically), quite a clear pattern, however my own personal sample size of 20 odd people over 15 odd years is probably not enough - like I said, more research needed

Jonny7 wrote: »

Not enough is known about long-term moderate to heavy cannabis use yet for any of us to make a call

Some of the heavier drug users I know still call it one of the more subtly risky (psychological) drugs out there

I have personal and anecdotal examples of how it can affect certain people in certain ways (psychologically), quite a clear pattern, however my own personal sample size of 20 odd people over 15 odd years is probably not enough - like I said, more research needed

Cannabis was used for century's by doctors and only no longer in use because of the prohibition last century. Its uses and long term effects are very well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There is much herping and derping about cannabis and schizophrenia. Yet even a cursory analysis shows the incidence of schizophrenia dropping despite rates of cannabis use skyrocketing. Reverse correlation does not disprove causality of course.... But there really is no supporting evidence. Whenever you read or hear mention of "skunk cannabis" being some new stronger more harmful type you know it's rubbish. Indeed, some claims that the weed around in the 60s was weaker than today were caused by tests being done on stuff the police had confiscated and kept in storage for a year (thus degraded).

No causal relationship has been found between the use of cannabis and the development of Mental illness.
    If you have a study that states the opposite then feel free to post it up.

Here is a Department of Medicines Management at Keele Universitys study assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005.

This paper investigates whether this has occurred in the UK by examining trends in the annual prevalence and incidence of schizophrenia and psychoses, as measured by diagnosed cases from 1996 to 2005.
    The study cohort comprised almost 600,000 patients each year, representing approximately 2.3% of the UK population aged 16 to 44.

It found that between 1996 and 2005 the incidence and prevalence of schizophrenia and psychoses were either stable or declining even though there had been a substantial rise in UK cannabis use from the mid-1970s

Here is the pubmed link.......http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19560900

• Advertisement

Cannabis was used for century's by doctors and only no longer in use because of the prohibition last century. Its uses and long term effects are very well known.

I used to think so too, but because it's been illegal so many years there have been relatively few trials

Also there's a lot of woo about there about it curing cancer and all that

I used to think so too, but because it's been illegal so many years there have been relatively few trials

Also there's a lot of woo about there about it curing cancer and all that

Scientists in Israel have been studying it for nearly 30 years for use in medication and psychotherapy. Americans government also did tests. Also scientist in Cardiff have been studying it recently to along with psilocybin for use on depressives.
    Medical weed is now legal in most of the states many people using it for stress and pain management instead of dangerous opiates.
    The long term effects are known and in 20 years it will be as legal as alcohol.

No causal relationship has been found between the use of cannabis and the development of Mental illness.
    If you have a study that states the opposite then feel free to post it up.

Causal being the key word

Not enough study or trials have been done to fully determine that either way - we simply don't know enough

and I strongly contend that light use is virtually harmless

However there are many studies linking cannabis use (e.g. at a young age, or heavy cannabis use) to a higher susceptibility toward certain mental illnesses, whether it's amplifying a pre-existing condition or even developing

As I said, from personal experience, that of my friends and speaking to psychiatrists it's evident moderate to heavy use by some people is not harmless in a psychological sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

More rubbish. Cannabis today is 15 times stronger than the 70s.... There may be some stronger strains around today indeed, because of selective breeding - but 15 times stronger is just nonsense. If that was the case then noone would be able to get stoned in the 60s/70s at all!

As said earlier, it is suspected that the cause of this informational deficit was the unscientific use of degraded stock for testing.

Scientists in Israel have been studying it for nearly 30 years for use in medication and psychotherapy.

This is, for example, testing chemical THC on chemotherapy patients - and it has been shown to have beneficial effects

He isn't handing joints out to teenagers and getting them to smoke for a few years - not easy studies to do

Hopefully legalisation and decriminalisation will increase the studies and we'll get a better picture

Causal being the key word

Not enough study or trials have been done to fully determine that either way - we simply don't know enough

and I strongly contend that light use is virtually harmless

However there are many studies linking cannabis use (e.g. at a young age, or heavy cannabis use) to a higher susceptibility toward certain mental illnesses, whether it's amplifying a pre-existing condition or even developing

As I said, from personal experience, that of my friends and speaking to psychiatrists it's evident moderate to heavy use by some people is not harmless in a psychological sense

Harvard medical school any good to you........
    A controlled family study of cannabis users with and without psychosis. Proal AC, Fleming J, Galvez-Buccollini JA, Delisi LE.
    Source Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck St, Boston, MA 02115, United States.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Cannabis is one of the most highly abused illicit drugs in the world. Several studies suggest a link between adolescent cannabis use and schizophrenia. An understanding of this link would have significant implications for legalization of cannabis and its medicinal value. The present study aims to determine whether familial morbid risk for schizophrenia is the crucial factor that underlies the association of adolescent cannabis use with the development of schizophrenia.

METHODS: Consecutively obtained probands were recruited into four samples: sample 1: 87 non-psychotic controls with no drug use; sample 2: 84 non-psychotic controls with cannabis use; sample 3: 32 patients with a schizophrenia spectrum psychosis with no drug use; sample 4: 76 patients with schizophrenia spectrum psychosis with cannabis use. All cannabis using subjects used this drug during adolescence, and no other substance, with the exception of alcohol. Structured interviews of probands and family informants were used to obtain diagnostic information about probands and all their known relatives.

RESULTS: There was an increased morbid risk for schizophrenia in relatives of the cannabis using and non-using patient samples compared with their respective non-psychotic control samples (p=.002, p<.001 respectively). There was no significant difference in morbid risk for schizophrenia between relatives of the patients who use or do not use cannabis (p=.43).

CONCLUSIONS: The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself.
    Published by Elsevier B.V.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24309013

This is, for example, testing chemical THC on chemotherapy patients - and it has been shown to have beneficial effects

He isn't handing joints out to teenagers and getting them to smoke for a few years - not easy studies to do

Hopefully legalisation and decriminalisation will increase the studies and we'll get a better picture

Im not wanting to hand out joints either but there is a lot more known about weed than there is about antidepressants and anti psychotics both of which only invented after the 60s, should they too be banned because we dont know the long term effects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Freddie Dodge

"I drive better after a few drinks myself to be honest"

One less stoner. No biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Harvard medical school any good to you........

Harvard medical school, lol, what do those clowns know? My gubberment told be the opposite and I swallow that hook line an sinker..unless the change their minds, then I will change mine

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Sevenspeed

Why is her being a devout Christian have anything to do with this? It's like as if there is something virtuous in being a devout Christian or that she is better or special in some way. Similarly to a previous poster, if she was an agnostic, a Muslim or a believer in Thor or Wotan, would it have been mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If that were the case, I'd hazard a guess that the Mail would be using her death as an example of "godless immorality".

Advertisement