Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due October 2014.

Options
  • 31-01-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Never thought I'd be starting such a thread. Shocked which is weird because we have been ttc for over a year but still when you get the positive test it's quite a shock.
    Took a home pregnancy test this morning and it tells me I am 1-2 weeks pregnant. The due date calculator says I'd be due on or around October 8th 2014.....
    Now I'm scared things won't go well. No pleasing some people is there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Clicked into this by accident cos I thought it was the Oct 2013 thread, which is full of mammies and their 3/4 month olds....:D

Congrats and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Congrats! I remember the excitement when I went from lurking in the October 2013 thread to actually braving posting. Hopefully you'll be joined by a few more soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Roesy wrote: »
    Congrats! I remember the excitement when I went from lurking in the October 2013 thread to actually braving posting. Hopefully you'll be joined by a few more soon :)

I hope so!!!
    Was talking to my husband this morning and he feels its really surreal too. I can't believe that I have to go away for the weekend this afternoon and I won't get to see him until Sunday night!!!
    Guess I should make an appointment with my GP ? Too soon? After all I am only a little bit pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I hope so!!!
    Was talking to my husband this morning and he feels its really surreal too. I can't believe that I have to go away for the weekend this afternoon and I won't get to see him until Sunday night!!!
    Guess I should make an appointment with my GP ? Too soon? After all I am only a little bit pregnant!

Maybe wait a week? The tests in the gp don't seem to be as sensitive. I booked an appointment to get things rolling very quickly because medication I'm on needs to be adjusted quite quickly in early pregnancy so I went at around the same time as you and got a negative test in her office. I was told that the tests they use are 'quite sensitive' and given one to take away and come back in a few days 'if and when I got a positive test'. I spent a fortune in the chemist across the road because I got a bit of a fright and went home and got 2-3 positives in a row with different tests without first morning sample. It still took another day or so and a first morning sample to come up positive on the doctors one. Anything I read or heard afterwards said that the over the counter tests seem to be more sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Never thought I'd be starting such a thread. Shocked which is weird because we have been ttc for over a year but still when you get the positive test it's quite a shock.
    Took a home pregnancy test this morning and it tells me I am 1-2 weeks pregnant. The due date calculator says I'd be due on or around October 8th 2014.....
    Now I'm scared things won't go well. No pleasing some people is there!

That's wonderful news Penny, I know you've been trying for a while so it must be a double blessing for you! Congratulations, it will take a while to really sink in! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I hope so!!!

Congrats!!!

I got a negative test in the GP after getting a positive at home that same day, so might be best to wait a few days ... as others have said, the tests in the GP tend not to be as sensitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I hope so!!!

The night I found out my OH was on his way out the door to do a gig, he had to be shoved out, he didn't want to go!
    Wild horses wouldn't have kept me from the docs to have it confirmed, thankfully my GP is very understanding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

That is fantastic news Penny. Congratulations and have a wonderful happy and healthy 9 months xx

That is fantastic news Penny. Congratulations and have a wonderful happy and healthy 9 months xx

Thank you Caroline. I am very familiar with your journey down this ttc road. I really and truly do wish all the very best of baby luck for you and your husband.
    I hope you get to either join in the thread or start one of your very own for November!

nikpmup wrote: »
    The night I found out my OH was on his way out the door to do a gig, he had to be shoved out, he didn't want to go!
    Wild horses wouldn't have kept me from the docs to have it confirmed, thankfully my GP is very understanding :)

I made an appointment for next Monday evening. I took another test a few minutes ago (first response) and it is positive too. The second line is very faint but it isn't FMU and I've had a fair bit to drink already today in terms of water and one cup of tea.
    Now I think two positives and two different times of the day is a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I made an appointment for next Monday evening. I took another test a few minutes ago (first response) and it is positive too. The second line is very faint but it isn't FMU and I've had a fair bit to drink already today in terms of water and one cup of tea.
    Now I think two positives and two different times of the day is a good thing?

Of course it it! You can't get a false positive so don't worry.You're pregnant! :) You can however get a false negative however and the results could be negative at the GP surgery for another couple of weeks as they are considerably less sensitive!

Had my appointment wih the GP today and the pregnancy is confirmed.
    Now to decide on private/ semi private or public. I'm leaning towards semi private but will call the hospital and insurance company tomorrow and see what the bills will be like with the first two options!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oct14

Jumping in here! I'm not going by my usual boards name, know too many in real life and I'm not ready to share yet!
    Got the positive today after being fairly convinced for a few days!
    How are you feeling penny dreadful?

oct14 wrote: »
    Jumping in here! I'm not going by my usual boards name, know too many in real life and I'm not ready to share yet!
    Got the positive today after being fairly convinced for a few days!
    How are you feeling penny dreadful?

Yazers! I'm not alone here now.
    I'm fine thanks really. Tired a lot which is to be expected I suppose and I have very tender boobs (actually cannot believe how quickly they start to grow!- I've always been on the small side when it comes to boobs so its weird for me to actually have bigger ones).My back is a bit sore too (like if you were getting your period) and every so often I feel "stuff" happening in my pelvic area.
    Pretty much decided to go semi private for my hospital care, will go to the Coombe too. Not sure which consultant I should opt for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oct14

Yazers! I'm not alone here now.
    I'm fine thanks really. Tired a lot which is to be expected I suppose and I have very tender boobs (actually cannot believe how quickly they start to grow!- I've always been on the small side when it comes to boobs so its weird for me to actually have bigger ones).My back is a bit sore too (like if you were getting your period) and every so often I feel "stuff" happening in my pelvic area.
    Pretty much decided to go semi private for my hospital care, will go to the Coombe too. Not sure which consultant I should opt for though.

Hopefully we'll gather some momentum :D
    I'm tired on and off, thought I'd be worse tonight but I'm not too bad! Boobs are ridiculous though, I'm sure they've grown since I tested! Not tender but they do feel weird!
    I can't decide between semi private or public. Went semi private first time round, which was worth it when I was working cos I wasn't missing full days for a 10 minute appointment, and it was nice post c section to be semi private. I'm not working now though, so don't havea job to rush back to or they money to easily choose semi private! Argh, decisions decisions!!

oct14 wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll gather some momentum :D
    I'm tired on and off, thought I'd be worse tonight but I'm not too bad! Boobs are ridiculous though, I'm sure they've grown since I tested! Not tender but they do feel weird!
    I can't decide between semi private or public. Went semi private first time round, which was worth it when I was working cos I wasn't missing full days for a 10 minute appointment, and it was nice post c section to be semi private. I'm not working now though, so don't havea job to rush back to or they money to easily choose semi private! Argh, decisions decisions!!

I burst into tears for no good reason this morning while putting my make up and getting ready for work!:eek::o
    I was thinking about telling my parents and how happy they will be and they love little babies and I started crying and couldn't stop!!

Also the need to pee so often is very marked. I'm also waking up quite early now (despite being very tired in the evening) and have lots of saliva in my mouth too. Thats an odd one and not a symptom I'd heard of before. Checked it on the baby ap (I'm quite the one for apps - have 3 while TTC and now I have 3 for pregnancy:D:o) and apparently it does happen.

Decided on Semi Private. Thought I've paid enough insurance premiums over the years its time to get something, however small, back!

So posted the form today. Cannot believe that I am booking myself in to have a baby:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Penny how are you getting on? Don't you think that one of the best things about getting pregnant is finally getting a break from the relentless grind of thinking about/worrying about/researching TTC all the time?!
    Apart from organising a few things and moaning on the internet about the symptoms, pregnancy could never occupy as much of my time and thoughts as TTC did :-)

Lucuma wrote: »
    Penny how are you getting on? Don't you think that one of the best things about getting pregnant is finally getting a break from the relentless grind of thinking about/worrying about/researching TTC all the time?!
    Apart from organising a few things and moaning on the internet about the symptoms, pregnancy could never occupy as much of my time and thoughts as TTC did :-)

Hi Lucuma, I'm getting on grand thanks. Its hard to believe that I've only known I'm pregnant for little over a week as it feels like ages. Its been lovely though.
    I've been having very few symptoms really - sore boobs, peculair twinges in my pelvic area (its easy to forget I'm growing a person in there and that a LOT is going on), being fit for bed very early in the evening and going to the bathroom an unbelievable amount. Compared to the savage morning sickness that a lot of people get I'm doing fine.
    While I'm really looking forward to telling my family about another grandchild/ niece or nephew being on the way, my husband and myself are really enjoying having such a lovely piece of news to ourselves for now.

With regard to the break from TTC I was thinking this morning that its really nice now that if we have sex we just have sex because we want to. The timing of it and making the most of certain days even if you couldn't stand the sight of each other is all gone and its very nice.

Hope you're doing ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

True we were lucky to see the back of timed sex before it had a serious affect on our relationship, if you were a couple of years at that without success I'd say it would exact some toll on a relationship....
    The way I see it now even if this is the only baby I ever get to have, having looked down the barrell of possibly not having any, I'll be forever grateful that I got to be a mother and will never take it for granted :-) 1st trimester is a pain in the proverbial but I still have to pinch myself that this is actually happening to me!! It's so exciting :-)

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    True we were lucky to see the back of timed sex before it had a serious affect on our relationship, if you were a couple of years at that without success I'd say it would exact some toll on a relationship....
    The way I see it now even if this is the only baby I ever get to have, having looked down the barrell of possibly not having any, I'll be forever grateful that I got to be a mother and will never take it for granted :-) 1st trimester is a pain in the proverbial but I still have to pinch myself that this is actually happening to me!! It's so exciting :-)

It sure is.
    I find that I'm waking up every morning around 4/ 4:30am to pee and then my back is sore and its very hard to go back to sleep. I have a full on cold today too and kinda miserable but then my letter of appointment came from the Coombe this morning and it reminded me that we've created another person and its going to be bloody fantastic so you just suck it up and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nikki2510

hi girls,

congrats to ye!

i had posted in Due Sept 2014 but seems like ye are at excatly the same stage as me!!

i'm due Oct 9th . have only known like a week and a half but feels like forever!!

we are going semi private in Rotunda. but with sharded care with my GP.

i have excatly same syptoms as ye, in that my back is very achy when i wake and my boobs are so sore, i swear if i touch anything of them its sooo sore!! other than that its all ok so far i reckon.

When i went to GP she didnt even do test so i still have moments where i think maybe i'm not?? altho then i rub off my boobs and i'm fairly convienced again!!

My Gp wasn't happy with my blood pressure so i had to keep going back to her all week to re check it and hen wear blood pressure monitor for 24hrs , so she is a bit happier now , but going to monitor it... it was a fairly scary first week though as we did test on Saturday, saw her on monday and then i was back everyday that week to recheck blood pressure!!

Have ye looked at doing early scan or are ye waiting till your 12 wk hospital scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Can i join you ladie!! Im due 10th oct...just found out. However, i have had two missed miscarriages, where the pregnancy sac develops, but no baby, at 9wks. In both cases, i had no signs of a mc and only found out at an early scan...so i am terrified to let myself believe this will turn into a baby!!! I have a scan on 10th march, and am praying there's a heartbeat.

Fittle wrote: »
    Can i join you ladie!! Im due 10th oct...just found out. However, i have had two missed miscarriages, where the pregnancy sac develops, but no baby, at 9wks. In both cases, i had no signs of a mc and only found out at an early scan...so i am terrified to let myself believe this will turn into a baby!!! I have a scan on 10th march, and am praying there's a heartbeat.

Congratulations and welcome! It's was starting to get a little lonely in here with so few people.
    Fingers crossed everything works out for you.....for all of us!

Congratulations and welcome! It's was starting to get a little lonely in here with so few people.
    Fingers crossed everything works out for you.....for all of us!

thanks!!! I think we are all just in the nervous stage!! Im remaining positive!

Nikki2510 wrote: »
    hi girls,

congrats to ye!

i had posted in Due Sept 2014 but seems like ye are at excatly the same stage as me!!

i'm due Oct 9th . have only known like a week and a half but feels like forever!!

we are going semi private in Rotunda. but with sharded care with my GP.

i have excatly same syptoms as ye, in that my back is very achy when i wake and my boobs are so sore, i swear if i touch anything of them its sooo sore!! other than that its all ok so far i reckon.

When i went to GP she didnt even do test so i still have moments where i think maybe i'm not?? altho then i rub off my boobs and i'm fairly convienced again!!

My Gp wasn't happy with my blood pressure so i had to keep going back to her all week to re check it and hen wear blood pressure monitor for 24hrs , so she is a bit happier now , but going to monitor it... it was a fairly scary first week though as we did test on Saturday, saw her on monday and then i was back everyday that week to recheck blood pressure!!

Have ye looked at doing early scan or are ye waiting till your 12 wk hospital scan?

Welcome. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Like you I have feelings of " what if I'm not really pregnant" all too often.
    I'm going semi private in the Coombe and my first appointment is April 1st. I'll be 13+4 when I have the appointment. I'm torn between waiting for the appointment to have the first scan or doing an earlier one myself.

Fittle wrote: »
    thanks!!! I think we are all just in the nervous stage!! Im remaining positive!

I'm very nervous too. I remember my sister saying that you worry from the minute you find out you're pregnant. At the time I thought she was nuts but now that I am pregnant myself I see where she was coming from.

I'm very nervous too. I remember my sister saying that you worry from the minute you find out you're pregnant. At the time I thought she was nuts but now that I am pregnant myself I see where she was coming from.

she us right, of course! I have an 11yr old, had a fab pregnancy and birth on him, so if this turns into a baby,ill be delighted xx

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nikki2510

oh Fittle, thats so hard for you. Positive thinking all the way i reckon!!

are you getting an early scan this time? how far will you be getting it done?

i'm not sure if getting one will stop me worrying or make me worry more!

• Advertisement

Nikki2510 wrote: »
    oh Fittle, thats so hard for you. Positive thinking all the way i reckon!!

are you getting an early scan this time? how far will you be getting it done?

i'm not sure if getting one will stop me worrying or make me worry more!
    yes, in getting one at ten weeks, its the earliest the rotunda will do it..3wks and 6 days to go! Tho i feel exactly as i did on my first pregnancy..i didn't feel this on the two mc's...sore boobs, sore back, stretching feeling in my belly..so fingers crossed xx

Advertisement