Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due October 2014.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 murphy2

29 weeks, thats great! I'm only 25 tomorrow! 13 weeks left in work! Will have to get my maternity benefit application organised!
    How did the 3D scan go greenman? Did anyone else go for a 3D scan? My husbands not sure if he'd like one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

murphy2 wrote: »
    29 weeks, thats great! I'm only 25 tomorrow! 13 weeks left in work! Will have to get my maternity benefit application organised!
    How did the 3D scan go greenman? Did anyone else go for a 3D scan? My husbands not sure if he'd like one!

The count down to maternity leave is just great. I have 9 weeks left (after this one at work finishes) and I just can't wait.
    Forgot to get my maternity forms signed last Monday when I was at the Coombe but will get my GP to do the necessary when I see them on the 28th.
    I'm moving between getting and not getting a 3D scan. I'm registered with the GENESIS study anyway and I'll be having one at 39 weeks as part of the study and it won't cost me a penny. So the sensible part of my brain tells me to wait until then. The not so sensible part wants to see the little one now (a touch of Verucca Salt there;)) and also wonders what if I don't make it to 39 weeks and deliver a little earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Bloods done had small 3d just of the face not clear. Just done in the normal scan rooms. Baby kicked the doc while getting the scan done heart beat consistent. Heard beating a few times. Arms covering face so didn't want a photograph. Legs crossed. Loads of spins. Busy wee baby. Bloods done on Tuesday. Met the midwife. Under the combined care we could have one of 4 anytime we go in. Long but 2 hrs and we were finished. Less than 13 weeks. Baby bag nearly sorted as to be done for 30weeks and onwards. Roll on October 12th.

greenman09 wrote: »
    Bloods done had small 3d just of the face not clear. Just done in the normal scan rooms. Baby kicked the doc while getting the scan done heart beat consistent. Heard beating a few times. Arms covering face so didn't want a photograph. Legs crossed. Loads of spins. Busy wee baby. Bloods done on Tuesday. Met the midwife. Under the combined care we could have one of 4 anytime we go in. Long but 2 hrs and we were finished. Less than 13 weeks. Baby bag nearly sorted as to be done for 30weeks and onwards. Roll on October 12th.

Really:eek: I thought the bag was to be packed from 35 weeks onwards. I don't have a single thing for either myself or the baby!!
    Maybe I should do something about that soon. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I wouldn't worry about not having anything done.
    Even if you went into labour now you'd be fine :)

On my last i don't think i had my bag packed until the last couple of weeks

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry about not having anything done.
    Even if you went into labour now you'd be fine :)

On my last i don't think i had my bag packed until the last couple of weeks

I mentioned this to my husband last night and he had a similar attitude of "sure couldn't I just get all the stuff you needed, you'd be grand..."

So while I know I'd get the stuff I needed I realised the following:
    1) I want to pick out the stuff myself, certainly the things I need for me.
    2) I've asked my Mam and my older sister to meet up with me for a Mammy and Baby Shopping Day in the next week or so. I think it will be a nice day for the 3 of us to spend together doing nice things in preparation for the baby and also I can have the benefit of their combined experiences as to what is and isn't worth having and what are the ABSOLUTE MUST HAVES!!
    3) It would also seem that I don't trust my husband, lovely and all as he is, to actually get the right stuff for me. :o

At one visit to the Coombe the midwife told me about a woman who didn't bring enough stuff with her to do the full length of her stay. Her husband was sent home to get more supplies - underwear, nightwear, etc. He arrived back in with a super sexy nightie and couldn't understand why it wasn't suitable!:D

I bought a nightie for labour. Ended up not wearing it as i just ended up in the vest I wore into hospital and nothing else. Didn't get time to change :)

But i did wear it that night after i showered. I wore pyjamas after that but i had bought a pj top that was quite clingy and made me very self conscious so if you're getting Pjs I'd get a nice loose fitting cotton top. Also make sure you get nice light nightwear. The hospitals are sooooo warm!

With regards to baby stuff, I brought in several babygros and vests, nappies etc. but left another bag of them at home as well as the clothes i would wear home and my husband brought those in as needed.
    I also ended up bring loads of stuff i didn't use but sure it'll be a lighter suitcase for me this time. Travel sized toiletries are handy so you're not carrying a rucksack to the shower :)

30 weeks today! Not quite sure where and when that happened. Its flown past. Imagine in 30 more weeks I'll be a Mammy!:eek::)
    I'm feeling rather emotional today. Labour and birth are looming large in the near future now. I know I'll be fine with it, have no choice and women have been dealing with it since the begining of time! I'm also dying to get to meet my little baby. I suppose its the stepping into the unknown that is scary.
    Thankfully my pregnancy has been fine and I've had not even the tinest hint of a health issue and the baby is progressing brilliantly too. I did find the feeling of being "public property" hard to deal with yesterday.
    It seemed that almost everyone I met had an opinion on something, a comment to make on my bump (which is actually quite small and I've put on no excess weight at all-4kg in total), some are disappointed that I am not really big, we visited friends of my husband last night who have a new baby too- I'm not mad about them at the best of times but the Dad really got to me last night with his (understandable) new found enthusiasim for all things pregnancy and birth related........
    If he mentioned the pain relief "we" opted for during "our labour and birth" one more time I was going to kick him on the shin.

I love that men are really into their wives/girlfriends pregnancies and are so supportive but yesterday it took all of my self control to say "shut up, this is something that women do with their bodies, its their process".
    Thankfully I managed to keep my mouth shut but did have to make a swift departure!:o

Another baby and pregnancy fair in the RDS at end of august. Went to this in April. Loads of info. Could be with a visit with only 6 weeks til out due date from then

GP antenatal this morning. All superb. Baby nice and active and a lovely strong heartbeat. Hearing the heart beat turns me into such a softie and always brings a tear to my eyes.
    It's so lovely to get positive reassurance and feedback.
    On we go- 29+6 today and I can hardly believe it.

• Advertisement

31 weeks today and month 8!!! :eek: I just don't know where the last 31 weeks have gone! Single digit count down now to being finished work (yazers!) and the baby being born (yazers again!).
    Need to sort out the baby's room/ box room. Hoping I'll be gripped by a nesting instinct soon and just get stuck into that.
    Exhausted today which is odd as I've had two very relaxing lovely days off work. Have a long day at work today though so that will be tough.
    Did some shopping yesterday for the baby and got its first bits- vests and baby gros and sheets for the cot and all that stuff.
    Feeling the baby move about loads yesterday and today. Lots and lots of movement last night- kinda freaked her Daddy out last night as we were in bed. He had his hand on my stomach and some of the kicks and movement was so strong he was convinved I must be in agony. :p

Hope the rest of you are doing well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I have my 31 week scan this week. My hospital only scan at 12 weeks and 31 weeks so it's a long time to wait. They check growth, heart and brain. Hopefully all will be ok.

Baby moving loads again so happy out.

Started antenatal classes and got quick tour of labor ward, the heat just hits you like a wall, be warned!

Marz66 wrote: »
    I have my 31 week scan this week. My hospital only scan at 12 weeks and 31 weeks so it's a long time to wait. They check growth, heart and brain. Hopefully all will be ok.

Baby moving loads again so happy out.

Started antenatal classes and got quick tour of labor ward, the heat just hits you like a wall, be warned!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping things will be well cooled down by October and the heat won't be as intense on the wards.
    We're booked in for the all day Saturday ante natal class at the end of August so that should be good.
    I have a low(ish) placenta so have to have a localisation scan at 35 weeks. If it hasn't moved upwards by then I think it will be a scheduled Section for me and the baby. They might even do it at 37 weeks as I'll be full term then and they won't want risk my going into labour naturally.
    I was pretty bothered about the idea of a section for a while but as time has passed I've focused on the positive of it ( will keep the baby safe, it's planned so less drama than with an emergency, I'll know exactly when I get to meet the little one too) rather than the lack of choice and will just accept it for what it is if I need it. Things could be far worse.

As long as the baby arrives safely thats the main thing :)
    The wards will probably still be hot in October. I had my first baby in February and it was boiling! Just make sure you have really light cotton nightwear and you'll be grand

30 weeks today which means 10 left.time is fair flying. Will be here before we know it. Baby pretty active everyday. I must have felt about 6or7 kicks last night in a 20second period. Herself tells me that kicks movements etc are everytime she relaxes. Most stuff in now and baby room is painted. Cot and that to be delivered next week. More organised than I thought we'd ever be. Stocked up on nappies this weekend with the half price deals in tesco and dunnes. Seems everyone is good well here

Ordered our buggy today and stocked up on some pampers too :)

My scan was fine. I really wanted to be told your baby looks perfectly healthy but the aim of the scan seemed to be just to check the growth which was fine. High side of average - better than the low side I am telling myself.

Penny, I would be a bit unsettled if I was told I needed a section, but you're right, there are advantages. There will be no rushing to the hospital for you and lots of people find the recovery quite manageable, no tears/episiotomies etc to worry about either.

Ordered our buggy today and stocked up on some pampers too :)

My scan was fine. I really wanted to be told your baby looks perfectly healthy but the aim of the scan seemed to be just to check the growth which was fine. High side of average - better than the low side I am telling myself.

Penny, I would be a bit unsettled if I was told I needed a section, but you're right, there are advantages. There will be no rushing to the hospital for you and lots of people find the recovery quite manageable, no tears/episiotomies etc to worry about either.

The way I look at the possibility of the section is that a) it has yet to be confirmed as a need and b) it will all be planned and calm and all that business and so I'll focus on the positives of it rather than stress about it because it's pointless as there will be nothing I can do to avoid it.

How are all the Oct parents to be?

I am getting excited now and keeping an eye on the birth stories in the Aug and Sept threads, soon to be us!

I have a question about baby clothes - a bit clueless here. The difference between body suits and sleep suits? Sleep suits seem to have full length arms and legs so are they just for sleeping at night? Body suits have short sleeves and not much on the legs, are they for during the day, even in the winter months? Lastly, what does a baby wear when going out for a walk in the pram? Body suit covered with a snowsuit thing? Presume 2 snow suits are enough to buy for first while?

I thought I was doing well with no stretch marks so far. Had a closer look, they have been hiding under the bump which I can only see in the mirror!!

I thought I was doing well with no stretch marks so far. Had a closer look, they have been hiding under the bump which I can only see in the mirror!!

Exactly as herself. Only just found them today. We are 32weeks today. Bit of a drama Friday. Herself has had pain on right side since June. Baby's feet blamed all along. Went for bloods for gallstones and white books count was high( common in pg) and a few other high counts. New tests done yesterday in the coombe. Staff very reassuring with no panic. If they aren't worried we aren't. Doctor when giving results sounded concerned and it relayed. Panic over but pain can't be sorted til after baby born. Baby monitored for 20 mins and showed no distress. Normal movements and heartbeats. 8 weeks to go.

On positive note. Cot built today. Changing table and drawers. Painting done and all. Just organising bags now. Looking at it now we have loads of stuff. Wipes nappies bibs pjs. And we don't even know the sex. Can't wait til it flies in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

With about 8 weeks to go, I'm pretty sure that our imminent arrival will be a world champion kickboxer by the age of 1.

Glad the tests showed baby doing fine greenman and the worry is over

I have some stuff bought but no bag packed yet

With about 8 weeks to go, I'm pretty sure that our imminent arrival will be a world champion kickboxer by the age of 1.

I have 7 to go and there have been times over the last little while, most especially the last two days, when the kicks came so hard it made me exclaim out loud and I was almost going to check if the skin at the top of my stomach had been broken they were so strong.
    I have 4 more weeks to work (after this one) and I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to finish them out. I am exhausted and sleeping badly due to many toilet breaks during the night and pelvic pain that is bad enough to keep me awake when I turn over.
    I have everything now except for a new mattress for the Moses basket and a pair of flip flops and a light dressing gown for me for the hospital. Will be 34 weeks on Wednesday and so really should pack a bag for the hospital.
    The furniture has been delivered (save for the changing unit for downstairs but I think I'll get that delivered next week maybe) and assembled and the baby's room is all ready. All of the clothes have been washed too. I must get busy stocking the freezer up with dinners and soups for the first few weeks.

At every appointment the doctors have told me that the baby is very long/ big and so measuring 2 weeks and a day ahead of itself. At my last appointment the doctor said that the baby might well come a little early due to being so cramped rather than do the typical thing of going over. I'd be ok with it coming a little early but I do want a few days to myself just to chill out and relax once I've finished work before the little one arrives.

Glad the tests showed baby doing fine greenman and the worry is over

I have some stuff bought but no bag packed yet

Blood test results tomorrow on what is wrong the the boss. Hopefully all is good and just an infection that can be sorted easily.
    Really enjoying telling everyone we are gonna be parents. It's amazing the amount of good wishes you get.

I have 7 to go and there have been times over the last little while, most especially the last two days, when the kicks came so hard it made me exclaim out loud and I was almost going to check if the skin at the top of my stomach had been broken they were so strong.
    I have 4 more weeks to work (after this one) and I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to finish them out. I am exhausted and sleeping badly due to many toilet breaks during the night and pelvic pain that is bad enough to keep me awake when I turn over.
    I have everything now except for a new mattress for the Moses basket and a pair of flip flops and a light dressing gown for me for the hospital. Will be 34 weeks on Wednesday and so really should pack a bag for the hospital.
    The furniture has been delivered (save for the changing unit for downstairs but I think I'll get that delivered next week maybe) and assembled and the baby's room is all ready. All of the clothes have been washed too. I must get busy stocking the freezer up with dinners and soups for the first few weeks.

At every appointment the doctors have told me that the baby is very long/ big and so measuring 2 weeks and a day ahead of itself. At my last appointment the doctor said that the baby might well come a little early due to being so cramped rather than do the typical thing of going over. I'd be ok with it coming a little early but I do want a few days to myself just to chill out and relax once I've finished work before the little one arrives.

My wife was having awfully bad sleep up until about 4 weeks ago. It was improved hugely by changing one of the thingts about the way she was told to lie in bed - legs stacked with a pillow between the knees. Once she got rid of the pillow and moved one leg in front of the other she's slept so much better but she's always been bad for getting up to go to the toilet during the night so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary now.

And as for the kicking, it eases off when I put my hand on her belly and rub my thumb on her skin. I just hope that's a sign of things to come :)

Hope your last few weeks go smoothly and to plan!

My wife was having awfully bad sleep up until about 4 weeks ago. It was improved hugely by changing one of the thingts about the way she was told to lie in bed - legs stacked with a pillow between the knees. Once she got rid of the pillow and moved one leg in front of the other she's slept so much better but she's always been bad for getting up to go to the toilet during the night so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary now.

And as for the kicking, it eases off when I put my hand on her belly and rub my thumb on her skin. I just hope that's a sign of things to come :)

Hope your last few weeks go smoothly and to plan!

Best laid plans and all that jazz. I bet, just to show that I am no longer in charge of anything, the baby will decide to arrive the very day I finish work!
    Had a brilliant nights sleep last night for the first time in ages so that was nice.
    Did throw my breakfast up this morning though which was a lot less pleasant.
    Thankfully that hasn't been too big a feature of my pregnancy- I had bad nausea for the first 14 weeks but throwing up only happened a few times and that was once I reached the third trimester.

Best laid plans and all that jazz. I bet, just to show that I am no longer in charge of anything, the baby will decide to arrive the very day I finish work!
    Had a brilliant nights sleep last night for the first time in ages so that was nice.
    Did throw my breakfast up this morning though which was a lot less pleasant.
    Thankfully that hasn't been too big a feature of my pregnancy- I had bad nausea for the first 14 weeks but throwing up only happened a few times and that was once I reached the third trimester.

I think we've been quite lucky. There was some evening nausea in the first trimester but never any getting sick.

Did you find yourself eating differently or anything over the pregnancy?

Speaking of best laid plans, the mid-wife saidat the class yesterday that there's nothing wrong with being prepared but you'll never be prepared so to settle down on the books and all that. Music to my ears :)

I think we've been quite lucky. There was some evening nausea in the first trimester but never any getting sick.

Did you find yourself eating differently or anything over the pregnancy?

Speaking of best laid plans, the mid-wife saidat the class yesterday that there's nothing wrong with being prepared but you'll never be prepared so to settle down on the books and all that. Music to my ears :)

My appetite has decreased massively since I got pregnant and that hasn't changed even since the nausea passed. I (usually) eat a good breakfast (porridge with nuts and seeds) and then some fruit or nuts mid morning and have a small lunch as I'm not that hungry then. Dinner- I'd eat the same type of dinner as I did before hand but since the bump has grown the space has become more limited and so my dinner is small enough.
    That said the baby is growing fantastically well and my health has been fine so things are obviously ok.

Re: being prepared - my mother (who had 6 of us) and sister (has 3 of her own) said that you are never ready for the actual real impact of having the baby. I'm glad that I have the stuff ready as outlined before hand but I'm pretty much going along with them and their statement about just having to go with it once the baby arrives.
    Luckily I am used to being around small babies and children a lot so its not all 100% new to me - just 99%:D
    Still can't wait for it though. 34 weeks tomorrow and dying to meet my little baby.

My appetite has decreased massively since I got pregnant and that hasn't changed even since the nausea passed. I (usually) eat a good breakfast (porridge with nuts and seeds) and then some fruit or nuts mid morning and have a small lunch as I'm not that hungry then. Dinner- I'd eat the same type of dinner as I did before hand but since the bump has grown the space has become more limited and so my dinner is small enough.
    That said the baby is growing fantastically well and my health has been fine so things are obviously ok.

Re: being prepared - my mother (who had 6 of us) and sister (has 3 of her own) said that you are never ready for the actual real impact of having the baby. I'm glad that I have the stuff ready as outlined before hand but I'm pretty much going along with them and their statement about just having to go with it once the baby arrives.
    Luckily I am used to being around small babies and children a lot so its not all 100% new to me - just 99%:D
    Still can't wait for it though. 34 weeks tomorrow and dying to meet my little baby.

My wife is the same actually. Every now and then she'll think she has a craving to eat loads and ends up eating normally. Dinners are still the same size as well.

Must start getting the bag of stuff ready though. I know it's 8 weeks to go but better to have it sitting there ready to go.

I'm 100% not ready but that's ok...no one ever is :D

• Advertisement

34 weeks today!
    Dreadful nights sleep though - bump really hard and awkward all night and every time I'd start to get any way comfortable I'd need to get up to pee! Grrrr.

Did the ante natal physio class yesterday and it was really helpful and informative. It dealt with how to manage the early stages of labour and next weeks one deals with the later stages and post delivery. For anyone who is wondering if they're worth attending I would have to say yes, most certainly.

Hope everyone else is doing well today.

Advertisement