Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Digital

Options
  • 31-01-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I'm hearing this term a lot recently - Digital (with capital D)

What exactly is this? To me, it seems like a marketing buzzword simply for "using technology".

For example, getting a customer to fill in an online form instead of a written form and subsequent manual data entry has been described to me as Digital.

Is there more to Digital than this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It can mean lots of things.

Digital = stuff done with your fingers (waheyyy).
    Digital = stuff done with numbers.
    Digital = stuff involving ones and zeroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Can't say I've noticed Digital with a capital 'D' creeping in as a term. To someone in technology using Digital in your scenario would not make much sense though I'd image most people would be able to work out what the person using it was angling at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

An example of a role in such an area: http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/9863432?trk=jobs_search_public_seo_page

I've seen a number of Head of Digital roles being advertised recently. It seems to be a combination of IT and marketing, i.e. Head of Digital (Marketing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

This is an analog clock
    Analog-1.jpg

This is a digital clock
    Digital-1.jpg

Using the term digital might be an attempt to encompass all technology departments under one umbrella group, so they can oversee everything from the OS on the desktops to the toasters in the canteen! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

That company in Galway starting up again:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That everybody you will work for, has worked for in the past :pac:

Advertisement