Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom downgraded me while moving my service to my new, equally capable for "up to 24

Options
  • 31-01-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

My partner put in for a move with Eircom to our new address. We gave the address to the agent (this address is roughly a 2-minute walk from the original) and she quoted capabilities of around 17mb! We were delighted, authorised the move and yesterday the Eircom technician came to check the box out and make sure everything was wired right. 

We checked our speeds, and got 7mb. Disappointing, to say the least, for two gamers. My partner rang Eircom, where he was told by a very unpleasant member of staff, that the move had not been completed yet and our broadband was not active, which is why it was not working properly. I tried to prompt my partner to explain the broadband was working just find and the requested jumper exchange was completed as per our Eircom account, so clearly the broadband was active. 

I got through to live chat last night where Tech Support was able to tell me that our package had been downgraded to an 8mb package during the move, and that we were obviously capped at that speed as a result. He confirmed the line can hold 17mb and offered to put me through to Customer Services to have it changed back. I got put through to a colleague named Joanne, who was obviously in a massive hurry to get home - she refused to deal with me, told me her systems couldn't show her my information (even though she told me that she could see on her system that we were changed to 24mb package in August) and offered me a 7mb package for an amazing price of €65... almost €30 dearer, and not what I asked her about at all. 

Finally got through to another online representative this morning who has told me that they cannot change my account back to the original package - that it has to be completed by "Moving Orders" and no-one else is authorised to do this. 

Well no-one was authorised to downgrade my package to a non-existant one in the first place! I now have absolutely no idea what package I am on, nor what I am paying for - but one thing is for sure, it is not the package I agreed to!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My partner put in for a move with Eircom to our new address. We gave the address to the agent (this address is roughly a 2-minute walk from the original) and she quoted capabilities of around 17mb! We were delighted, authorised the move and yesterday the Eircom technician came to check the box out and make sure everything was wired right. 

We checked our speeds, and got 7mb. Disappointing, to say the least, for two gamers. My partner rang Eircom, where he was told by a very unpleasant member of staff, that the move had not been completed yet and our broadband was not active, which is why it was not working properly. I tried to prompt my partner to explain the broadband was working just find and the requested jumper exchange was completed as per our Eircom account, so clearly the broadband was active. 

I got through to live chat last night where Tech Support was able to tell me that our package had been downgraded to an 8mb package during the move, and that we were obviously capped at that speed as a result. He confirmed the line can hold 17mb and offered to put me through to Customer Services to have it changed back. I got put through to a colleague named Joanne, who was obviously in a massive hurry to get home - she refused to deal with me, told me her systems couldn't show her my information (even though she told me that she could see on her system that we were changed to 24mb package in August) and offered me a 7mb package for an amazing price of €65... almost €30 dearer, and not what I asked her about at all. 

Finally got through to another online representative this morning who has told me that they cannot change my account back to the original package - that it has to be completed by "Moving Orders" and no-one else is authorised to do this. 

Well no-one was authorised to downgrade my package to a non-existant one in the first place! I now have absolutely no idea what package I am on, nor what I am paying for - but one thing is for sure, it is not the package I agreed to!

Hi ShaShaBear

I'm very sorry to hear of the negative experience you have had with eircom so far. Please PM me your account number, landline number and a mobile contact for you and I will look in to this further.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hi ShaShaBear

I'm very sorry to hear of the negative experience you have had with eircom so far. Please PM me your account number, landline number and a mobile contact for you and I will look in to this further.

Thanks

Al
    Hi Alan, mailed you with that information ages ago. Was left with no other option but to call yet again while waiting for an update. Here's what I have been informed of:
    • An Eircom technician is booked to go to our local exchange by the 11th of February to activate our line for broadband (please note that the 11th of February is three days outside of the 10 working day promise we were given the day the order was put through). 
    • Linda in Moving Orders placed an incorrect order for a lower package instead of the one we were on at the time of placing the order. 
    • An Eircom technician has already attended the exchange and activated our line for broadband sometime during yesterday or before it, and neglected to update the Eircom systems to alert them that we were now live on the 8mb package that Linda incorrectly put us on. 
    • No-one in Customer Services has the authority to change the package ordered (which is still pending) to the package we originally agreed to when entering into the new 12 month contract, which was the same package we have been using since August of last year. 
    • No-one in Customer Services has the ability to call the technician that is responsible for our exchange to confirm with him that he activated our line and to remind him to update the system immediately so that they can alter our order to suit our original request. 
    [*]

I suggest that someone contact the technician responsible for the exchange in my area (which you should know from the area code in the PM I sent) and tell him to update his system for my address, and then have someone from Customer Care upgrade our package to the up to 24mb package so that we can receive the broadband we applied for.

Otherwise, we are looking at a breach of the new contract, if the new contract technically even exists.

Hi ShaShaBear

Thanks

Al
    Hi Alan, mailed you with that information ages ago. Was left with no other option but to call yet again while waiting for an update. Here's what I have been informed of:
    • An Eircom technician is booked to go to our local exchange by the 11th of February to activate our line for broadband (please note that the 11th of February is three days outside of the 10 working day promise we were given the day the order was put through). 
    • Linda in Moving Orders placed an incorrect order for a lower package instead of the one we were on at the time of placing the order. 
    • An Eircom technician has already attended the exchange and activated our line for broadband sometime during yesterday or before it, and neglected to update the Eircom systems to alert them that we were now live on the 8mb package that Linda incorrectly put us on. 
    • No-one in Customer Services has the authority to change the package ordered (which is still pending) to the package we originally agreed to when entering into the new 12 month contract, which was the same package we have been using since August of last year. 
    • No-one in Customer Services has the ability to call the technician that is responsible for our exchange to confirm with him that he activated our line and to remind him to update the system immediately so that they can alter our order to suit our original request. 

[*]

I suggest that someone contact the technician responsible for the exchange in my area (which you should know from the area code in the PM I sent) and tell him to update his system for my address, and then have someone from Customer Care upgrade our package to the up to 24mb package so that we can receive the broadband we applied for.

Otherwise, we are looking at a breach of the new contract, if the new contract technically even exists.
    [*]
    Hi ShaShaBear

There is a 24 hour response timeframe however I apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced with this move order.

My findings do reflect what you have detailed above and of course I will request operations the record updated as this will be able to speed up the whole upgrade process.

As soon as I have further information on this I will let you know right away.

Thanks

Al

[*]
    Hi ShaShaBear

There is a 24 hour response timeframe however I apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced with this move order.

My findings do reflect what you have detailed above and of course I will request operations the record updated as this will be able to speed up the whole upgrade process.

Thanks

Al
    [*]
    Any update on this?

Find it hard to believe that not a single person in Eircom could ring the technician responsible for my very small area (I have been informed he is a local) and confirm with him that our line is active and request he update immediately. I'm assuming we will just need to keep calling every day to find out if this has been done so we can be transferred to our original package. According to Joanne in Customer Care, the package we are now "on" is almost €20 per month more expensive than the one we requested to move with.

Ideally someone could simply ring the technician today, have him update our account and apply for an upgrade to the original package, and then apply the discounts offered to us during the move request over the phone (I should like to point out at this stage that we have this call recorded).

[*]
    Hi ShaShaBear

Thanks

Al

[*]
    Any update on this?

Find it hard to believe that not a single person in Eircom could ring the technician responsible for my very small area (I have been informed he is a local) and confirm with him that our line is active and request he update immediately. I'm assuming we will just need to keep calling every day to find out if this has been done so we can be transferred to our original package. According to Joanne in Customer Care, the package we are now "on" is almost €20 per month more expensive than the one we requested to move with.

Ideally someone could simply ring the technician today, have him update our account and apply for an upgrade to the original package, and then apply the discounts offered to us during the move request over the phone (I should like to point out at this stage that we have this call recorded).
    [*]
    Hi ShaShaBear

We have already requested the engineers to update the records to this effect but I'm afraid we have no control of this further than this request. Once the records are updates we will arrange the upgrade and rebate for mistakes made.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Al

• Advertisement

[*]

Hi ShaShaBear

We have already requested the engineers to update the records to this effect but I'm afraid we have no control of this further than this request. Once the records are updates we will arrange the upgrade and rebate for mistakes made.

Al
    [*]
    Still surfing along on dreadful speeds. 4-5mb during the day, which drops to a TOTALLY unusable 1-2mb from around 5PM onwards. Given that I should be getting 17, this is outrageous.
    What is even more outrageous is that you are essentially telling me that you cannot force your engineers to update my account and that this issue could continue indefinitely?! 

38kb/s download on a game from Steam, whereas if I were on the package that I was meant to be on, would be over 1mb/s in my previous residence, which I can see from my new house. 

[*]

Hi ShaShaBear

Al

[*]
    Still surfing along on dreadful speeds. 4-5mb during the day, which drops to a TOTALLY unusable 1-2mb from around 5PM onwards. Given that I should be getting 17, this is outrageous.
    What is even more outrageous is that you are essentially telling me that you cannot force your engineers to update my account and that this issue could continue indefinitely?! 

38kb/s download on a game from Steam, whereas if I were on the package that I was meant to be on, would be over 1mb/s in my previous residence, which I can see from my new house. 
    [*]
    Hi ShaShaBear

I have had news from managers in technical support that the upgrade is now complete.

Thanks

Al

[*]
    Hi ShaShaBear

I have had news from managers in technical support that the upgrade is now complete.

Thanks

Al

It appears to be, only problem is now that after 6pm we are lucky to get 1mb and 75 percent of the day the internet won't connect.

[*]
    Hi ShaShaBear

Thanks

Al
    [*]

It appears to be, only problem is now that after 6pm we are lucky to get 1mb and 75 percent of the day the internet won't connect.
    [*]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Very sorry to hear this ShaShaBear

I highly recommend contacting technical support regarding this. They can be contacted on free phone 1901 (choose option 3 then 2 when prompted) or alternatively on 1890260260.

Thanks

Al[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

Advertisement