Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound/Amp UPC Horizon/AppleTV/DVD Player

• 31-01-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Could anyone point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. My technical knowledge is very limited.

I have a current Sony Surround surround sound system that is about 6 years old but only has an HDMI out. I have a 42'' Samsung (I think it is a three or a four series). It has two HDMI ports and TWO AV ports and the coloured (Red, white, yellow) ports too.

So I can't connect these the items I have with the surround sound that I currently have. When I put the surround sound on to TV function it doesn't work because I am using HDMI cables (which I believe is sound and vision) it doesn't work.

So I am guessing that I need an amp that can take multiple HDMI cables at least four, UPC Horizon Box, Laptop, DVD player and Apple TV. I have the speakers and sub woofer from the Sony Surround sound that are like new and have the cables tidy. So would prefer not to replace them. What amp will do this and will the current speakers I have work with a new amp?

If I buy an amp that will take four HDMI cables is it then as simple as plugging the HDMI cables into the amp on different channels then plugging the speakers into the amp and the amp into one of the HDMI ports on the TV?

Any advice would be great. Hopefully I have been clear enough for you guys to understand. Budget would be €300-€400 max. The less I spend the better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

The free option: wire your source devices straight into the TV with HDMI cables. Then run sound out of your TV (using red/white audio out) to the Sony surround sound system. That will only get you stereo though.

What's the actual Sony model you have? A lot of times the speakers in those kits won't work properly with regular receivers/amps. Check the impedance rating on the speakers - if it's less than 4 ohms it's not good. 8 ohms would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mwalsh7

Thanks Luck100

Yeah I did try that but there are no red/white audio out on the surround sound as far as I can remember. I will have another look and post the model of the surround sound system.

Not sure on the speakers but will again check them later.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

You want the audio IN on your surround system. You'll be outputing analog left/right channels from the TV and playing them through the surround system (well, just the stereo part). What inputs does the surround system have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭greasepalm

its a pity you dont have a spdif out from tv to run optical from tv to amp,as said before i hook up sat box,saorview box to hdmi and optical from them to an onkyo amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mwalsh7

Thanks guys for your help.

I now have it all working. The sound is going to all the speakers. Not sure which cable it is. But I have put in the red/white cable into the tv and the UPC box and I also put as cart lead between the tv and UPC box and it's all working. Not sure why or how but delighted it is. Also the Apple TV sound also comes through the speakers I have around the room.

Thanks again for your advice it made me do it and it didn't cost me a penny. I am very happy camper.

THANKS

• Advertisement
Advertisement