If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround Sound/Amp UPC Horizon/AppleTV/DVD Player

Options
  • 31-01-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Could anyone point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. My technical knowledge is very limited.

I have a current Sony Surround surround sound system that is about 6 years old but only has an HDMI out. I have a 42'' Samsung (I think it is a three or a four series). It has two HDMI ports and TWO AV ports and the coloured (Red, white, yellow) ports too.

So I can't connect these the items I have with the surround sound that I currently have. When I put the surround sound on to TV function it doesn't work because I am using HDMI cables (which I believe is sound and vision) it doesn't work.

So I am guessing that I need an amp that can take multiple HDMI cables at least four, UPC Horizon Box, Laptop, DVD player and Apple TV. I have the speakers and sub woofer from the Sony Surround sound that are like new and have the cables tidy. So would prefer not to replace them. What amp will do this and will the current speakers I have work with a new amp?

If I buy an amp that will take four HDMI cables is it then as simple as plugging the HDMI cables into the amp on different channels then plugging the speakers into the amp and the amp into one of the HDMI ports on the TV?

Any advice would be great. Hopefully I have been clear enough for you guys to understand. Budget would be €300-€400 max. The less I spend the better.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

mwalsh7 wrote: »
    Could anyone point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. My technical knowledge is very limited.

I have a current Sony Surround surround sound system that is about 6 years old but only has an HDMI out. I have a 42'' Samsung (I think it is a three or a four series). It has two HDMI ports and TWO AV ports and the coloured (Red, white, yellow) ports too.

So I can't connect these the items I have with the surround sound that I currently have. When I put the surround sound on to TV function it doesn't work because I am using HDMI cables (which I believe is sound and vision) it doesn't work.

So I am guessing that I need an amp that can take multiple HDMI cables at least four, UPC Horizon Box, Laptop, DVD player and Apple TV. I have the speakers and sub woofer from the Sony Surround sound that are like new and have the cables tidy. So would prefer not to replace them. What amp will do this and will the current speakers I have work with a new amp?

If I buy an amp that will take four HDMI cables is it then as simple as plugging the HDMI cables into the amp on different channels then plugging the speakers into the amp and the amp into one of the HDMI ports on the TV?

Any advice would be great. Hopefully I have been clear enough for you guys to understand. Budget would be €300-€400 max. The less I spend the better.
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch :)

Yup, sounds like it's time for an upgrade.  Most amps now have at least 4 HDMI inputs so you'll be grand there.  Your HDMI sources will just connect into your amp and then the HDMI from the amp to your TV will carry the picture and sound for you.  Easy as that thankfully :)

I'll need to check the specs on the speakers, do you have the model number from the Sony system?  Near certain though you may need to upgrade the subwoofer as the 1 from the Sony will more likely be a passive sub which wont work with an AV receiver ans they use active subs.

I'd suggest the Yamaha RXV 375 currently priced at £179.95 - http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv375/yama-rxv375-blk

We offer an excellent 5.1 speaker pack that includes an active subwoofer.  This will be a bit more serious than the Sony speakers and offer much better sound quality.  The speaker pack is the Yamaha NSP40 currently priced at £119.95.

For both including delivery you're looking at £312.89 / €386.28.

Let me know what you think.

Chris  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.