Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chia seeds

Options
  • 31-01-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've been tempted by the idea of buying chia sits because they're rich in Omega-3 (the main source is from fish, which obviously vegetarian won't consume), I don't drink juices or smoothies and was wondering what you guys do to integrate them into your diet, besides sprinkling them on breakfast. They're very expensive so I'd hope one packet would last me a couple of months.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/03/chia-seed-benefits-_n_3379831.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

They really are so good for you and so easy to incorporate in to your diet.

Decide which type you want, the whole ones are very small seeds, and the milled ones are ground down finely.

The milled ones are a good egg replacer in vegan or non-allergen baking. Simply let 1 tbsp milled chia seed sit in 3 tbsp warm water for a few minutes, and it creates a thick binding gel. Chia seeds are stable at a high heat so they do not lose their beneficial properties when baking, so it is easy to encorporate some nutrition in to your baked goods too. Because of these properties, depending on what you are mixing it with, if it is liquidy, the milled ones might make the texture thick, for example, milled chia seeds would thicken up a smoothie.

I sprinkle them on porridge and in to yoghurt. Other than that I mostly use them in baking and for binding, like in these recipes. You can also make chia dessert puddings. If you google chia recipes you'll find loads! :)

Raw Energy Seed & Nut Bars

Seeded Spelt Brown Bread

Red Quinoa, Mixed Bean & Spinach Burgers

Banana Bread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

roweeeeena wrote: »
    They really are so good for you and so easy to incorporate in to your diet.

Decide which type you want, the whole ones are very small seeds, and the milled ones are ground down finely.

The milled ones are a good egg replacer in vegan or non-allergen baking. Simply let 1 tbsp milled chia seed sit in 3 tbsp warm water for a few minutes, and it creates a thick binding gel. Chia seeds are stable at a high heat so they do not lose their beneficial properties when baking, so it is easy to encorporate some nutrition in to your baked goods too. Because of these properties, depending on what you are mixing it with, if it is liquidy, the milled ones might make the texture thick, for example, milled chia seeds would thicken up a smoothie.

I sprinkle them on porridge and in to yoghurt. Other than that I mostly use them in baking and for binding, like in these recipes. You can also make chia dessert puddings. If you google chia recipes you'll find loads! :)

Raw Energy Seed & Nut Bars

Seeded Spelt Brown Bread

Red Quinoa, Mixed Bean & Spinach Burgers

Banana Bread

Brilliant, thanks for this! Do they have a distinctive taste or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Brilliant, thanks for this! Do they have a distinctive taste or anything?

You're welcome. No they have no taste at all really, which makes them so versatile to use with other foods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I usually just throw them into the morning porridge, or any type of yoghurt type thing, although lately I've been buying Sowans milled flaxseed, they have a big tub for a 5er, which is pretty good. The best price I've seen for Chia is 7.99 for a bag.

Advertisement