Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family dog

• 31-01-2014 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, hoping it's a correct place to post my question.
    We're family of 3 looking for a child friendly dog. We found one we love - vizsla but apparently vizslas are not good for people working full time...
    Would you be able to recommend any other dogs suitable for a family with small kid? Preferably not labs...
    Or maybe someone who owns vizsla and working full time can say how it really is?

I guess I'm still hoping that I will get a reply from vizsla owner that it can be done. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is there a specific reason you're looking for a Viszla or would you consider other breeds as well? In case of the second rescues would be able to advise what they have that would match your situation (i.e. used to being left or can be left alone for the full day, good with children) based on their evaluation reducing the risk of ending up with a breed that's normally good but that specific one is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Alicei

Open to any recommendations really.
    Rescue is an option but would prefer to have favorite breed and then start looking, even in a rescue. This way I can read a bit about the dog and its needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i ask why you came up with a Vizsla?

They are working/hunting dogs, so unless they get a huge amount of exercise, not just your average walk, you are going to have issues.

Was it a bigger dog you are looking for? Why not a Lab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

We got a male Golden Retriever when our son was 1.5. Two of them are the best of pals. Never had one ounce of trouble from the dog.

Will the dog live indoors? Reason i ask is a Viszla are not designed to live outside as they have a very short coat so it would have to stay indoors at night and during the day in Winter too, so something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP I've merged your 2 threads into one, hence the first 2 replies are one after the other.

Yes, she will leave indoors.
    I prefer medium to big dog.
    My cousin had a lab and it was very aggressive dog so I'm not a fun of labs any more. I know that labs are great dogs and it was just one unfortunate example but this is how I feel now.

She will have plenty of exercise as we are active family and there is lot of places around for running, playing and having fun.

Just thought someone may have other ideas, recommmend other breeds or asure that vizslas work as a family pet. They are on the top 10 family dog list but after reading about them I'm not sure if they are.

We got a male Golden Retriever when our son was 1.5. Two of them are the best of pals. Never had one ounce of trouble from the dog.

Rory, are you working full time? My worry is that dog would be left for too long alone. Not all dogs are 'fine' with that.

anniehoo wrote: »
    OP I've merged your 2 threads into one, hence the first 2 replies are one after the other.

I've posted the second question on hunting forum as there may be more vizslas owners there...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

I had a Vizsla before, I lived in an apartment at the time and the dog would be alone for around 6 hours a day no problems at all, just trained him that way from the beginning early on like every breed.

He would get an hour walk in the morning on lead and then in the evening we would go to the park for around an hour and a half where he could run off lead. This was enough for him. He would sleep the rest of the day and was actually really lazy. He was considerably less work than my collies are now :P

He was excellent with all people and children, really friendly.

They are an extremely popular breed where I used to live (hungary, since they originate there ;) ) and many people have them when they work all day no problems and you will see loads of familys with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Alicei wrote: »
    I've posted the second question on hunting forum as there may be more vizslas owners there...
    They didn't think it was a suitable thread for Hunting so moved it to us, hence 2 threads in here which I merged into 1.

Is there anyone that could call in on the dog during the day? How long realistically will it be on its own everyday. Is it possible to walk it before work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

OP have you thought of whippets or greyhounds? They are gentle, lazy dogs and there are plenty of them to be rescued in Ireland. Good companions for walks and runs but they don't need to be worked as hard as other breeds. They tend to have sweet personalities too. You could get one from a reputable rescue so that you would know their personality and traits beforehand.

Thank you fiounnalbe! Really appreciate your feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi, hoping it's a correct place to post my question.
    We're family of 3 looking for a child friendly dog. We found one we love - vizsla but apparently vizslas are not good for people working full time...
    Would you be able to recommend any other dogs suitable for a family with small kid? Preferably not labs...
    Or maybe someone who owns vizsla and working full time can say how it really is?

I guess I'm still hoping that I will get a reply from vizsla owner that it can be done. :(

TBH OP leaving a puppy (any breed) alone all day , 5 days a weeks isnt ideal, expect lots of destruction etc... an older dog would more suit those hours if im honest :o

Also a hunting dog (puppy) left unsupervised 8-10 hours a dog will wreck the place (inside or outside)... I have a cocker and can speak from experience

andreac wrote: »
    Is there anyone that could call in on the dog during the day? How long realistically will it be on its own everyday. Is it possible to walk it before work?

Hi, yes we would walk her before work, someone at lunch time (quick 20 min walk) and we will be back at 6 the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

From what I have seen of Vizlas, they need LOTS of exercise......but a beautiful dog. Not suitable to left alone, and very giddy, a bit big to have around small kids.

Hi, yes we would walk her before work, someone at lunch time (quick 20 min walk) and we will be back at 6 the latest.

So realistically 8am - 6pm at the latest?

If this is the case IMO its too long, 10 hours a day alone for a dog especially a puppy isnt fair on the dog.

Unless you are willing to maybe get a dog walker or maybe try doggie day care two days a week... otherwise IMO its faaar too long especially for a puppy

mhge wrote: »
    OP have you thought of whippets or greyhounds? They are gentle, lazy dogs and there are plenty of them to be rescued in Ireland. Good companions for walks and runs but they don't need to be worked as hard as other breeds. They tend to have sweet personalities too. You could get one from a reputable rescue so that you would know their personality and traits beforehand.

Wouldn't guess that they may be less demanding that vizslas.
    Thank you for that suggestion! Now I have to start reading about them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I meant to add, they can be expensive. Maybe consider (as mentioned earlier) a rescue dog, adult, Golden Retriever maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Rory, are you working full time? My worry is that dog would be left for too long alone. Not all dogs are 'fine' with that.

I was just thinking this. I personally think it is cruel to get a dog if you are working full time. I couldn't do it, it would break my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Wouldn't guess that they may be less demanding that vizslas.
    Thank you for that suggestion! Now I have to start reading about them. :)

Do read about them, they are very sweet and many of them are in need of a good home.

I have a young pointer/lab who would be similar in character to a vizsla and while I love him to bits I would likely kill myself if I took him on to combine with children and work... he's a firework and you need to exhaust him every single day more than once to prevent destruction.

Yes that's why I'm not sure we should get a dog.
    So all working people cannot have a dog... :(
    My parents had one and she was fine and I think it made a huge difference with rising kids.

But I hear what you are saying. It was my worry, dog shouldn't be left alone for so long.

Yes that's why I'm not sure we should get a dog.
    So all working people cannot have a dog... :(
    My parents had one and she was fine and I think it made a huge difference with rising kids.

But I hear what you are saying. It was my worry, dog shouldn't be left alone for so long.

Theres no need to be smart OP.... no one said all working people cannot have a dog.

I already offered you solutions... dog walker / doggies day care (there not too expensive).

Get a puppy, leave it alone for 8-10 hours a day and see what state the place is in when you get home... :rolleyes:

Get an older dog (again what i already suggested) then things may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

maguic24 wrote: »
    I was just thinking this. I personally think it is cruel to get a dog if you are working full time. I couldn't do it, it would break my heart.

I can see where you are coming from, but we have a springer that was rescued as a pup when the litter was dumped without their mother. I know not all of the litter were homed. He gets walked for an hour every morning, an hour every evening, more at the weekend, stays with us at night and sleeps inside during the day, with no damage. He really enjoys his life, and if it crosses my mind that it might be cruel, I just think of the alternative!

jayobray wrote: »
    I can see where you are coming from, but we have a springer that was rescued as a pup when the litter was dumped without their mother. I know not all of the litter were homed. He gets walked for an hour every morning, an hour every evening, more at the weekend, stays with us at night and sleeps inside during the day, with no damage. He really enjoys his life, and if it crosses my mind that it might be cruel, I just think of the alternative!

I do agree with this somewhat.. your dog is used to his routine (and happy)... but most puppies would be utterly devastated to be alone 10 hours a day

Adult dog - maybe not so much... but a puppy yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

cocker5 wrote: »
    Theres no need to be smart OP.... no one said all working people cannot have a dog.

I already offered you solutions... dog walker / doggies day care (there not too expensive).

Get a puppy, leave it alone for 8-10 hours a day and see what state the place is in when you get home... :rolleyes:

Get an older dog (again what i already suggested) then things may be different.

I don't think she meant to be smart, she did say she could see where we were coming from and perhaps her comment was more targeted at me, as I was the one who said I thought it was cruel.

OP I would love a dog but I just have too many other commitments in my life right now, work being only one of them. Remember that if you get a dog it will be like having another family member to look after. I'm only giving my opinion and I understand what it's like to want a dog. I get so jealous of people in the park out walking their dogs. :(

A dog walker is a good idea!!! And hopefully when your kiddies get a bit older they could help you look after the doggie but just be mindful that it will be a lot of work especially in the early days. Animals get lonely, so if you could somehow get someone to check in on them or get a dog walker it would be a big help.

Sorry didn't mean it that way.
    Yes getting an older dog was what I considered. Never said i want a puppy. Puppy is like a baby you need to be with her/him all the time. And yes walker would take a dog for a walk at lunch time. This is what I meant when I said that someone would walk a dog at lunch time.

Thanks for all advices!
    Guess we are not ready to have a dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

I do agree with this somewhat.. your dog is used to his routine (and happy)... but most puppies would be utterly devastated to be alone 10 hours a day

Adult dog - maybe not so much... but a puppy yes

Ours was 6 weeks when we got him, extremely young, but we were able to increase his time alone gradually over a couple of monthsfrom a couple of hours to 8 hours now. Took a lot of work, and I would always prefer to get a dog from about a year old, but he was stuck, us or nothing! I suppose he (and we) got lucky:)

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your replies! Really appreciate.

Advertisement