Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP camera and POE

Options
  • 31-01-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

was out and about gathering up parts for an IP camera this morning

I went to one shop looking for a POE adaptor, he didn't have one BUT, there was a man who does some networking at the counter who overheard my enquiry, and says "POE I wouldn't, much better off to run a seperate power and LAN cable to your IP camera, POE will interfere with your signal"

So what do people think, Im not an expert and was the first time I had heard something like that

this is the camera http://www.irishwireless.net/cctv/surveillance_cameras/ds-2cd2012-i

Ill be using ~50ft of cable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No direct experience of it myself, but sounds like nonsense to me.

PoE just uses either spare pairs on the cable in the case of 10/100Mbit/s or adding a common mode DC voltage to existing signals on the wire for 1GBit/s that is taken off to power the end equipment. Maybe if you used a cheap and nasty PoE injector that generated noise on the DC signal that messed up the Ethernet signal then maybe, but otherwise I'd say you're OK.

Most corporate WiFi access points are powered by PoE by the way, so if it was a major problem in and of itself then it would have come up before.

Did you sort out your cable problem by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

Alun wrote: »

Did you sort out your cable problem by the way?

I just used a different cable, I must contact the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

It's a digital signal. PoE on the same cable will not degrade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

aidanki wrote: »
    was out and about gathering up parts for an IP camera this morning

I went to one shop looking for a POE adaptor, he didn't have one BUT, there was a man who does some networking at the counter who overheard my enquiry, and says "POE I wouldn't, much better off to run a seperate power and LAN cable to your IP camera, POE will interfere with your signal"

So what do people think, Im not an expert and was the first time I had heard something like that

this is the camera http://www.irishwireless.net/cctv/surveillance_cameras/ds-2cd2012-i

Ill be using ~50ft of cable

Nonsense, this is exactly what POE is used for, to power routers, access points and cameras etc. without the need to run a separate power cable.

Advertisement