Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to TV Wire - What do I need

Options
  • 31-01-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I'm looking to get my laptop wired up to my TV. What do I need? Where would I get it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

to begin with, what do you have? (a laptop is a wee bit vague) - what does your tv have?

You basically are trying to match up one against the other.

Simpliest way is if both laptop and tv have hdmi, then you need a hdmi cable - and if so, then it should be a plug in and go scenario.

Similarly, if your TV has a VGA connector then a VGA cable hooked up to your laptop and to the TV will do it - though this doesn't include sound while the HDMI option will include sound.

After that you start to get a little messy, perhaps needing adapters of varying kinds - but again, it depends on what you have at both laptop and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

if your tv is a flat screen either cable will fit.

if your lattop is newish it will probable have a hdmi so happy days.
    if your laptop is oldish it may not have hdmi so you'll have to use a vga cable (and maybe a 3.5 to 3.5mm lead for the sound).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SET resolution to 1024x 768 ,
    set
    grahics card refresh rate to 60mhz .
    if refresh rate is 70 or higher theres risk of damage to the
    tv screen.
    http://hookpctotv.com/laptop-hd

If using pc vga cable,
    as opposed to hdmi .
    For sound use 3.5mm male to 3.5mm,
    audio cable,
    or 3.5mm male to stereo rca left ,right y cable
    rca both cable ends are male ,
    IF tv has 2 rca audio in ports.

IF using audio on hdmi out ,
    you may need to turn on ,
    enable audio out on the laptop hdmi interface.
    IN hdmi audio settings.

http://www.kc-kwan.com/online/pics/o_pc_audio_rca_cable_01.jpg

LOOK in dealz, poundland ,2 euro shops for those cables.
    hdmi cable 2 euro .

Get a 3ft long cable if possible.

SOME tvs have 3.5mm audio in,
    or rca ,l,r audio in,
    check tv before you buy a cable.
    vga only carrys video signal, no audio.
    ITS usually the more expensive ,
    model laptops that have hdmi out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

riclad wrote: »
    SET resolution to 1024x 768 ,
    set
    grahics card refresh rate to 60mhz .

Why use a 4:3 computer monitor resolution for watching TV? And it's 60 hertz, not megahertz. And European TV is 50 hertz.

IF you are not Sure what resolution to set use 1024x768, is ok.
    my tv manual says for PC Use,
    use 60htz ,
    70 or 75 htz may damage your tv.
    read your tv manual ,
    re ideal tv resolutions ,settings for tv .
    MY hdtv has only 3 resolutions it,ll work at ok,
    on pc input.
    According to the manual.
    european pal tv is 50 htz,
    thats a broadcast tv standard.
    use hdmi 1 input or vga in.

The default refresh rate on the laptop is 75htz,
    reduce it to 60htz in grahics card,settings,advanced.

A tv is not a monitor ,
    it doesnt give a good clear picture on random resolutions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Would it not make sense to ask the OP what they are actually planning to view on the TV, before making any kind of detailed suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

my tv manual says for PC Use,
    use 60htz ,
    70 or 75 htz may damage your tv.
    read your tv manual

A tv is not a monitor ,
    it doesnt give a good clear picture on random resolutions.

You have some understanding here. How does feeding an out-of-spec framerate to a display cause damage?

You have a link to your tv manual?

my manual says that ,
    ie risk of damage to tv if pc is connected ,
    using refresh rate over 60mhz.
    i read it carefully.
    i sold tv, i don,t have the manual.
    or a link to it.
    I used a vga cable to connect it to my pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

What make and model.
    Was tv?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090620180850AAsNgM4

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449803/lcd-tv-supported-refresh-rates-and-pc-display-settings

if you Look on the tv forums,
    they say use
    60mhz refresh rate ,

UNLESS you wish to damage your tv

quote;
    On page 129 of the manual quite many framerates are mentioned in conjunction to the TV's 3D capabilities. For example: 1920 x 1080p: 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 Hz and 1920 x 1080p: 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 / 50 / 59.94 / 60 Hz
    my tv was samsung tv hd 32 inch,
    no idea what model it was.
    I got perfect picture on tv use 6o htz rate.
    using vga cable.

I think there was 3 resolutions avaidable on the tv for pc use according to the manual.
    1024 X 768 was 1 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090620180850AAsNgM4

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449803/lcd-tv-supported-refresh-rates-and-pc-display-settings

if you Look on the tv forums,
    they say use
    60mhz refresh rate ,

UNLESS you wish to damage your tv

quote;
    On page 129 of the manual quite many framerates are mentioned in conjunction to the TV's 3D capabilities. For example: 1920 x 1080p: 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 Hz and 1920 x 1080p: 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 / 50 / 59.94 / 60 Hz
    my tv was samsung tv hd 32 inch,
    no idea what model it was.
    I got perfect picture on tv use 6o htz rate.
    using vga cable.

I think there was 3 resolutions avaidable on the tv for pc use according to the manual.
    1024 X 768 was 1 of them.

Are you actually using Yahoo answers to back up your claim?

An LCD panel cannot be damaged by a high refresh rate. If you output 120Hz to a 60Hz panel, the panel is either just going to ignore it, or say it's out of sync/range. All you'd be doing is not allowing the pixels to have time to wait for a frame between oscillations.

The crystals themselves only respond at a given rate, based on the panel voltage. Unless you increase that voltage no damage can be done.

see
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/how-to-connect-computer-to-tv3.htm

quote;
    Avoid increasing the refresh rate on your graphics card, unless you have a 120-hertz HDTV. If you send a signal with a refresh rate over 60 hertz to a normal HDTV, you could damage the TV [source: Komando].

The biggest problem with connecting your computer to your TV is that, generally speaking, computers and TVs don't display at the same resolutions. For example, the closest thing to the HDTV resolution 720p (1280 x 720) is a monitor display mode called XGA (1280 x 960). Not quite the same. And the closest thing to 1080p (1920 x 1080) is a monitor display mode called WUXGA (1920 x 1200). Again, not quite the same.

in the tv manual,
    theres usually 3 or 4 safe resolutions for use on the tv,
    When connecting a pc to the tv.

I,D advise 1024x768 ,
    at 6o htz is a good one to start with.

A monitor is not a tv,
    a monitor is designed to accept a wide range of resolutions ,
    at least up to 75htz refresh rate.
    some older monitors were less than 75htz.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

see
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/how-to-connect-computer-to-tv3.htm

quote;
    Avoid increasing the refresh rate on your graphics card, unless you have a 120-hertz HDTV. If you send a signal with a refresh rate over 60 hertz to a normal HDTV, you could damage the TV [source: Komando].

The biggest problem with connecting your computer to your TV is that, generally speaking, computers and TVs don't display at the same resolutions. For example, the closest thing to the HDTV resolution 720p (1280 x 720) is a monitor display mode called XGA (1280 x 960). Not quite the same. And the closest thing to 1080p (1920 x 1080) is a monitor display mode called WUXGA (1920 x 1200). Again, not quite the same.

in the tv manual,
    theres usually 3 or 4 safe resolutions for use on the tv,
    When connecting a pc to the tv.

I,D advise 1024x768 ,
    at 6o htz is a good one to start with.

A monitor is not a tv,
    a monitor is designed to accept a wide range of resolutions ,
    at least up to 75htz refresh rate.
    some older monitors were less than 75htz.

That article is wrong. The "source" for that claim is an American talk show. I've already told you the facts. It's physically impossible for an incompatible refresh rate to damage an lcd panel.

If the source is a multiple of what the panel expects (120Hz to a 60Hz panel, so a new frame every ~8ms instead of every ~16ms) , it's just going to ignore the extra frame. If it's something like a 75Hz source to a 60Hz panel, it's going to complain that it's out of sync. That's it.

It's quite clear that you have no idea what you're talking about. You make an anecdotal claim and then go on a rampage across Google trying to find any dubious source to agree with you.

I could do the same and claim that the world is flat, then post some random article backing me up. But it doesn't mean I'd be right.

Advertisement