Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Apple HQ

Options
  • 31-01-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I was wondering is it possible to visit/tour the Apple facility in Hollyhill or the one in the city? Not from Cork but am interested to know if this is possible. Not sure if there is anything exciting there,or just offices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

They have had open days in the past where members of the public were given tours...Dunno if they still do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Snap them off an email. As mentioned they used do Open Days or Open Afternoons.

I don't think they manufacture anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

esprimo wrote: »
    I was wondering is it possible to visit/tour the Apple facility in Hollyhill or the one in the city? Not from Cork but am interested to know if this is possible. Not sure if there is anything exciting there,or just offices?

It's fairly buzzy up there today - Tim Cook has popped by for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's probably mostly call-centre staff up there now, I'd guess. They had PCB manufacture there, now it's mostly assembly. Plus some testing, possibly still localisation.

Very little design/engineering I'd say. They did design one Mac (many years ago), but most of the interesting work is done in Cupertino.

who_me wrote: »
    It's probably mostly call-centre staff up there now, I'd guess. They had PCB manufacture there, now it's mostly assembly. Plus some testing, possibly still localisation.

Very little design/engineering I'd say. They did design one Mac (many years ago), but most of the interesting work is done in Cupertino.

I think they did some assembly/manufacturing on the Mac Pros before they were banned in Europe but I think the new ones are all assembled in the US now.

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    It's fairly buzzy up there today - Tim Cook has popped by for a visit.

Scary. Last time (that I recall) he was in Cork to speak to the Apple employees, I - and several hundred others - were made redundant! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Scary. Last time (that I recall) he was in Cork to speak to the Apple employees, I - and several hundred others - were made redundant! :eek:

I'm guessing he wasn't CEO then? He was sent in to do the dirty work. CEO's never do the dirty work, so I guess they're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Around 1998 or so? I was there that time, that would have been the time St. Rufus the Mad (a.k.a. Steve Jobs) was CEO, and he sent Cook over to do some shaping up.

I think they did some assembly/manufacturing on the Mac Pros before they were banned in Europe but I think the new ones are all assembled in the US now.

Not sure what they do - I was talking to a guy at the weekend who works in "manufacturing" above, but what that entails I'm not sure.

He's hosting a visit by the Taoiseach today - wouldn't be polite to announce job cuts at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

He's hosting a visit by the Taoiseach today - wouldn't be polite to announce job cuts at the same time.

OR make the Taoiseach do it. I'm pretty sure he'd do whatever Mr. Cook tells him to do.

OR make the Taoiseach do it. I'm pretty sure he'd do whatever Mr. Cook tells him to do.

Maybe he's firing the Taoiseach? At this stage, he almost could..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mocathain

They build the iMac in Cork. They used to build the Mac Pro until it got banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

mocathain wrote: »
    They build the iMac in Cork. They used to build the Mac Pro until it got banned.

They do not,,, the parts are manafactured, and sent off where the Imac is then built and shipped back..... source? yes a relative working in Apple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

mocathain wrote: »

That's not current IMO.

Back in the days when the iMac coloured glass tubes were made, all of The North side was employed in some part of Apple which had vast assembly lines and loaded directly into waiting containers.

The Campus has shrunk back to the main building, REHAB now occupy the principal assembly lines and the dispatch is derelict.

We could do with a bit of excitement back in the old Apple for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

It would be hard to see manufacturing on that scale back in cork,the 90s really were the heyday,worked in bg turnkey across the road and it used to be mental at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ofcork wrote: »
    It would be hard to see manufacturing on that scale back in cork,the 90s really were the heyday,worked in bg turnkey across the road and it used to be mental at times.

They'll be expanding lines soon enough, nothing on the scale that they had before though. And yes, the iMac is still assembled there.

Advertisement