Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos charging for recycling when it should be free

• 31-01-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

Cooker is ****** the oven wont work so had a look in the Argos catalogue for something cheap to replace it with for the time being and noticed Argos are charging customers for the collection of their old appliances when they buy a new one.

I called WEEE Ireland who confirmed this was a compliance issue and under the WEEE Directive 2002/96/EC Argos are legally obliged to collect and recycle the appliance free of charge. I guess Argos will have to refund every customer it charged €12.99 to recycle their old electricals.

Collection

Since the introduction of the WEEE Regulations 2005 Consumers can bring their unwanted electrical and electronic equipment to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.

The WEEE Ireland map gives details of Civic Amenity centres nationwide with WEEE collection facilities.

In addition Consumers can bring back WEEE within 15 days to Retailers when they purchase new equipment on a like for like basis.

Retailers are also obliged to collect WEEE within 15 days of delivery of a new item, provided the item is disconnected from all mains, does not pose a health and safety risk and is readily available for collection.

Retailers must give 24 hours notice prior to the collection of WEEE.

If 24 hours notice is not given, retailers are obliged to collect WEEE within 15 days of delivery of a new item, provided the item is disconnected from all mains, does not pose a health and safety risk and is readily available for collection. If the item does not meet these requirements, the consumer may return their WEEE to the Retailer themselves within 30 days of the date of delivery.

Consumers can bring used batteries and accumulators to Retailers free of charge as long as the batteries and accumulators are of equivalent type available to purchase from the premises. There is no requirement for a purchase to be made.

Retailers may limit any one consumer to 5kgs of battery returns at any one time and may refuse to accept any waste portable battery leaking any of its constituent materials.

Consumers can also bring their used batteries and accumulators to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Citizens information
    Alternatively, if the product is being delivered you are entitled to have the old item collected at the same time for no extra cost on the same one-for-one, like for like basis. If a new product is being delivered to a customer’s home retailers cannot charge for collection of the waste equipment (although a retailer can charge a delivery fee). Retailers must give 24 hours notice of delivery and the old item must be disconnected from all utilities. If you do not wish to avail of the free collection of waste equipment on delivery of new equipment, then you have 30 days to return it to the retailer’s premises if you wish to avail of free retailer take back.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/recycling_waste_from_electrical_and_electronic_equipment.html

On to the NCA and the Dept of the Environment about it. (not the first time someone has complained about Argos) expecting a call back soon. Have nothing against Argos btw but I wont stand by and let them get away with charging people for recycling when it should be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

you'd buy a cooker from argos?

nothing against argos, but i'd like to get proper advice and knowledge and know that if something did go wrong i could drop into a real appliance store and get it sorted rather than deal with some student behind the argos counter.

No I meant a cheap €37 mini oven just to do until next week. I agree with you the local electrical stores are the best to buy from.

I would never buy a cooker, fridge or a washing machine in Argos. My sister bought a washing machine off them in 2007 (was either a Bush or Beko) and it lasted only a few months. At the same time that year I bought a silver Whirlpool washing machine it cost €699 and even though its out in the shed since last year (new kitchen bought a white Whirlpool) its still like new never gave any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

It's free on a " like for like basis"
    the code for white goods takeback is 482 0011 cost 0.00
    You don't expect a retailer to collect your old cooker when you only spent €37 on a small appliance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CH3OH wrote: »
    It's free on a " like for like basis"
    the code for white goods takeback is 482 0011 cost 0.00
    You don't expect a retailer to collect your old cooker when you only spent €37 on a small appliance?

If it's in the same WEEE category it is like for like. Refrigeration goes by volume but I don't think cooking kit does

I wasn't expecting them to take it back I have another use for that old cooker. I was just browsing the catalogue and seen that they do charge you for recycling. WEEE Ireland called me back and confirmed that Argos are breaking the law by charging for recycling. I wonder how many people paid €12.99 to them for recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

seems they are aware of it

Some electrical and electronic items that can be found in the Argos catalogue are not available on this website at present. We are currently updating our systems to ensure we comply with the legislation on waste electrical & electronic equipment. Please bear with us while we continue to develop and extend our online range. In the meantime, you can find our complete range of electricals in the catalogue or in your local store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

imagine if they were forced to withdraw all those thousands of brand new catalogs over this :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

imagine if they were forced to withdraw all those thousands of brand new catalogs over this :pac:

yeah, would be a serious waste of paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

I'd say it's just a mis-print.They are a business that has 700+ stores in Uk and 40ish in ROI.Its not the first time and won't be the last time errors have occurred.They must print the catalogue for the Uk and then make changes.They've left some £Prices in in the past and some of they UK only products too.Ive bought home delivery stuff and electrical stuff and they've never charged WEEE on top of advertised price.Id question it in store before I start ringing NCAA and the likes.

Advertisement