Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Lackagh, East Galway

Options
  • 31-01-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I live in Lackagh. Up until now I've had a Metero huawei hotspot. Internet connection speed isn't consistent and can be PAINFULLY slow at times.

So I'm looking to change and get consistent, quick broadband. From a quick browse it seems that you're looking at €30 a month for something like Sky or Vodafone.
    Is this correct, are there any better offers available?
    Thanks in advance,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Hi, been to hell and back trying to sort out broadband in south galway.

One word of advice, have your line checked for what it can deliver

They will promise you the earth (all suppliers) but basically if your rural,

its a roll of the dice what speed you will be able to obtain.

all the best on your hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

Patrick,

We're in Lackaghmore, used to be with Vodaphone (not great but OKish) and are now with Skype (was slightly cheaper and we wanted to change from Vodaphone for other reasons related to the way they treated us). Not sure of the price actually, my other half is the one paying for it (but I seem to remember the 30€ thing is the lowest you can get, but you won't necessarily be able to: it depends if you're located in their "network area". If not - as is our case - it's minimum 10€ more per month).
    Now, re. the broadband itself: it was great at the start, for a while. Now most evening is just "bah", not any better than Vodaphone used to be, and sometimes totally ghastful. During the day usually no problem, in the middle of the night same thing, so I don't know if there are too many people using the "pipes" in the area in the evening, or if its due to another reason, but we dream of a good, proper and reliable broadband. 'Seems impossible to get living less than 20km from a major city! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

I just moved to Lackaghmore and got fixed wireless with airwire at 45 a month. Only 3Mb (symmetric) but it is pretty consistent. I came from 120Mb in the city so it was some shock! I work from home most days (IT) and it has done the job fine so far. Eircom are to fibre enable the area by 2016 but I hope the ESB have their FTTH offering this year. I can dream!

PS. Sky/Eircom/Vodafone/UTV all share the same exchange backhaul so will have same speeds. The Turlougmore exchange has AFAIK only 7Mb connection so all users share that. ie rubbish.

Also see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056446931 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057137161

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm in Lackaghmore, with eircom, . Suppost to be getting 7 , but at it's best, got 6.3 , but that was a good while ago. It's getting slower by the month, but hopefully that's down to upgrade work being done for fibre. ( I hope)

• Advertisement

Not supposed to be fibre from Eircom for at least 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

yfaykya wrote: »
    Not supposed to be fibre from Eircom for at least 18 months.

Bummer, it's really slow at certain times atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oran2011

All,
    As you can (and will) see from Airwire (Martin in particular) is that they deal with any issue or compliant with their service with a nothing more than a waiver of their responsibilities and blame their customer.
    I am with Airwire for nearly a year and the quality of the service it now at a comical level. I cannot download the most basic of programs/apps etc from the internet - cannot update flash player, Skype, etc to the latest versions. It took 48 hours for the last update to almost go through but eventually crashed due to bad internet connection.
    The worst of all it that the support from airwire is shameful.
    They blame my equipment - even though I have a state of the art Cisco EA6500 router with booster/extender.
    The confirmed that I do not have an antenna signal when they tested it??? They asked if I turned of the antenna??? Are they serious. They can't get a signal when they test my signal and they blame me for not having a signal.
    Below are 2 direct quotes from Martin at airwire (yet again it's my problem for a almost non existent service that they have no problem taking 30 euro a month for)-
    "currently your antenna is not online, so we can't test it again. Did you
    turn it off ?
    Your connection issues could also be caused by your own equipment on top
    of that.
    As for the connection, if the changes today haven't improved the
    connection at all, all we can do is to decommission the connection.
    You're on the 2 mbit/s package at 16:1 contention, and it's within the
    contention, but obviously not great as it seems. That package is already
    priced at the absolutely bare minimum, that is viable for us, so there
    is no space for reductions.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire Ltd."

In summary - do not go with a service provider of this quality but more importantly a company that blame their customers for their poor quality service. I have loads of information, data, records etc to expand on the above hence I will not take any generic/general response from airwire lightly. Anyone that wants more information on my dreadful experience with airwire please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

@oran2011, I really don't want to see another post from you on the topic of "airwire". Clearly you have an axe to grind but your spamming of boards.ie is not the way to go about it. I have removed several of your airwire posts.

Advertisement