Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions for useful stuff to look for in charity shops, at car boot sales etc..

• 31-01-2014 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

I've just picked up some stuff from a charity shop so thought I'd make a list of some things you can look out for, obviously it can be feast of famine when out looking for stuff but with a bit of effort you can usually find something of merit. I'm talking primarily about charity shops here but same goes for car boot sales.

Blankets, good clean brand name wool blankets go for between 1 and 5 euro, I buy them for dog bedding but they are really far to good for that and I keep a stack of good ones for emergencies. I'm always on the look out for old Army light weight blankets which are handy for the car and larger BOBs. Good quality picnic blankets (the tartan ones with fringe edges) are another bargain rarely costing more than a couple of euro.

Aluminium stuff, always easy to spot and people sometimes throw out all their aluminum pots and pans if the Alzheimers scare goes around. Mess tin and billy can sets sometimes turn up.

Cast Iron Pots - a bit of a rarity but I bought all ours from car boot sales and charity shops. Ideal for cooking on open wood fires.

Pots and pans in general, check in case there is anything useful looking in Stainless Steel. You might want something to cook some chemicals up for something like home dying or felting and spare pans you aren't going to be using for cooking will come in handy.

Cloths, this is an area I'm not great at but only yesterday I spotted a decent waterproof jacket and an orienteering/running jacket (smock with front map pocket) for very little money, just not my size.

Rucksacks, often you can find a decent rucksack in with the kids school rucksacks and the cost will probably be the same, carefully check all the zips, straps and buckles because you'll often find important ones damaged. I thought I have a couple of classics this week (lowe alpine) but both had damaged zips and missing buckles.

Tents, camping stoves, closed cell foam sleeping mats are also occasionally to be found but for odd things that don't really fit in with the run of the mill stuff that charity shops sell you sometimes have to look in corners and under shelves to find them.

I know some people go in charity shops and go to car boot sales and find nothing useful but tbh they aren't looking properly, yeah it is 99.9% tat and rubbish the trick is to spot the rarer 0.1% useful stuff. If in doubt ask for what you want and if they haven't got it ask will they keep it for you.

So have bought any of your gear from a charity shop or cbs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

I got two mag charger torches for 4 euro each (bodies only) spent about 50 euros rebuilding them ( batteries etc) . they are over 100 euro each new.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Granite Head

Blankets, good clean brand name wool blankets go for between 1 and 5 euro, I buy them for dog bedding but they are really far to good for that and I keep a stack of good ones for emergencies. I'm always on the look out for old Army light weight blankets which are handy for the car and larger BOBs. Good quality picnic blankets (the tartan ones with fringe edges) are another bargain rarely costing more than a couple

Where do you get your blankets? Never see any at the charity shops I frequent.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, Godspeed You, Black Emperor, Melts,The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Elaine Mai, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

As I've said it can be feast or famine when you are out looking for stuff. Hadn't seem many blankets myself in ages but in the last month I picked up a nice travel blanket for €3 and single dog blanket (bit tatty) for a euro. Then in a shop I'd never visited before I picked up 7 blankets for all for a euro each (mostly dog blanket quality) and only yesterday I picked up 5 excellent double wool blankets for €4 each. Suffice it to say I won't be buying anymore for a while.

I look very carefully around any shop and make a note of what is there in case something catches my eye then I'll home in on where I think particular items might be. Blankets are normally with stuff like curtains, bead spreads, duvet covers, pillow cases and sheets so are easily covered up. In some case they don't sell very well and because they take up a lot of space you need to ask for them as they might be out back. If its only blankets for dogs then I always ask as sometimes some charity shops will have tatty ones they can't/won't sell but are happy to give them away. You can get a lot of duvets that way but I've found the dogs rip them up and make a mess so I don't get them now.

If in doubt ask and if you really want anything then ask if they ever get whatever you are after and if they 'll keep it for you, but if you do that you need to check back fairly regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I have to agree 100% with this thread.

I have sourced the vast majority of my tools at car boots, not from tool dealers, but from the person selling all kinds of everything.

I have picked up several new articles of clothing at Charity Shops. I got a fantastic Jacket its a North face rip off but it keeps me perfectly dry and warm any time I've used it.

I also picked up several jumpers, Timberland Boots and Fristads work trousers for a few euro each.

I find fleece or good quality jumpers bought for a few euro are ideal for work and rough wear.

The secret to charity shops is to visit on a regular basis get to know the staff and let them know what you're looking for.

I have a brother who picks up all kinds of electronic gadgets from 2 shops he visits, they tend to hold things they're unsure of for him.

In the last few months he's gotten an Ipod dock, A clock with a hidden camera,several mp3 players, a SAD lamp and a bicycle computer all for little money or to take away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I hit car boot sales/markets more so than the shops but over the years I got a SAK work champ for €5 because the seller thought it was a knock off one, lots of 25lt drums for €2 to €3 each weird/normal tools even got a Gshock watch all it needed was a battery, books are always a good buy 5 or 10 for a euro

Went to 5 charity shops last summer trying to give them a box of about 50 book and none of them would even look at them I find these shops are getting very fussy on what they take in the Dublin area at least, A friend of mine offered the full contents of his apartment to the Vincent de Paul when he was moving to America Suite Beds Fridge/Freezer even the tv and they said no all this stuff was less than 1 year old in perfect condition.

Keep an eye on Adverts.ie on the free to take away section but you need to be quick to get it

As for blankets keep an eye in Dunnes last year and the year before they had double bed fleece blankets for €5 and single size for €3 around march if i remember right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Well satisfied with my Charity Shop efforts this week, got a Helly Hansen sleeveless fleece top which you couldn't tell wasn't brand new for a fiver, ideal warm lightweight item for my every day bag.

I often tell people that just don't get the car boot sale, charity shop, thrift shop thing that its my "hunter gatherer" replacement therapy.

Just back from visiting my brother, he picked up a kindle ( because there was no charger with it) :D for €8 and a Vupoint portable scanner still in the box for €10 in a charity shop last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Bought a landline phone , back up battery unit for a PC, various leads, computer mouses (computer mice!!) all for 3 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Picked up a nice natural stone for knife sharpening for 75 cent, I took this photo after a clean up. Apparently it's a rare enough Belgian coticule and gives a fine edge when used with water, even on stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

Being a recent returnee and Dublin based at present I have no idea what/where to look for in finding a decent car boot sale. the few I've been to were a wash out, Would I be right in thinking that the further from the City..the better the opportunities. Have sourced many great bits of kit at car boot sales on the continent and elsewhere for ridiculous money so I know how good they can be. Am a regular to charity shops but they tend to focus on clothing mostly....found some great hats. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Paraffin/kerosene hurricane lantern. I'd say you'd pick one up for a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

ones here in uk are brilliant… i go early to them and buy brand name tools which i then sell on ebay… also lots of camp and camping gear about

I picked up an Optimus 80 stove in a little blue tin that doubles as the pot holder for €2 and a complete aluminium cook set from for €1.99 in a charity shop on Friday.

I had a look on you tube an the stove appears to be rare enough, I also got the little key with it.

The cook set has a frying pan, 2 pots and clip on handles, as an extra because it had been used for paint, should be able to clean it easily enough,I got a 3 pint billy can for holding clean water or making a stew for a few people.

I think I got good value for my €5 prep this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

You can sometimes get used UPS (uninterruptible power supply) at car boot sales cheap (<10e). They're really just an inverter with a built in battery with a circuit to switch over when the mains goes and the battery will usually be fecked in them which costs about 20e or less to replace. This is a lot cheaper than buying an actual inverter even though most UPS are only modified sine jobbies so not ideal or efficient for long term use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I picked up an Optimus 80 stove in a little blue tin that doubles as the pot holder for €2 and a complete aluminium cook set from for €1.99 in a charity shop on Friday.

I had a look on you tube an the stove appears to be rare enough, I also got the little key with it.

The cook set has a frying pan, 2 pots and clip on handles, as an extra because it had been used for paint, should be able to clean it easily enough,I got a 3 pint billy can for holding clean water or making a stew for a few people.

I think I got good value for my €5 prep this week.

That optimus 80 is a great little stove. Run it on Coleman Fuel or Aspen Fuel rather than unleaded, the wicks sometimes need replacing check spiritburner.com for lots of info including the instructions .

The current Svea 123 is a similar style stove and would set you back around €120 which might not get you a decent 80 on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭fastrac

Jerry cans pop up at boot sales fairly often

Good couple of items this week. As well as a few more branded pint beer glasses for the collection I got a very good quality merino wool jumper (€6) which seems brand new and a slightly dirty but otherwise perfect Lowe Alpine rucksack an Appalachian Aps 55+15 (€5).

Probably not much short of 20 visits to various charity shops to pick those two items up (I collect other non S&SS stuff) but proves if you make the effort decent stuff eventually turns up. Still looking forward to finding an Optimus 80 stove like Fries-With-That found but if you don't look you won't find.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tc556guy

Rucksacks, often you can find a decent rucksack in with the kids school rucksacks and the cost will probably be the same, carefully check all the zips, straps and buckles because you'll often find important ones damaged. I thought I have a couple of classics this week (lowe alpine) but both had damaged zips and missing buckles.

Sometimes that's something that can be repaired. We have a local shoe repair shop whose owner works on all sorts of canvas and nylon repairs as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I was beside my local charity shop yesterday and seen them refuse to take a load of gear off a guy what mostly jumped out at me was a plce 120lt bergan pack because it was a little dirty they wouldnt take it I approached the guy and bought it for €10 and he gave me a small axe too so I went into the shop and gave them my number and asked if anyone arrived with stuff like that again would they ring or txt me and id go down

In the interests of getting all the best stuff myself I shouldn't be telling you this but now is a good time to be looking for stuff in charity shops.

Did the rounds of my local charity shops and you could hardly get in the door of the first one with all the after Christmas sort out donations and in the second one the staff were complaining that they were running out of places to store all the stuff that had been donated.

Only picked up a Peter Storm fleece body warmer €5 but will be back again soon to see what else has come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭fastrac

Could they not work with other charities to distribute the surplus rather than hoarding it. This happens every Springtime .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The problem with books is that they have to pay to get them recycled. I know insane.. I haunt charity shops and have done for decades having been on disability and now over 70.... I have rescued dogs and most shops have bedding they cannot sell and are glad for you to take it. One of my old dogs is now incontinent and am using soft old towels.. I am wearing fleece, all at around E1...what you are saying re self sufficiency is for many of us simply a way of life. When I cannot access the mobile library I get books from them and take them back in. My idea of a grand day out is a drive with a many charity shops as I can find; planning a drive with two this weekend! All my pans and dishes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

PS and please do not omit to feed back into the system... So others can do as we do. Rather than hoard

Picked up a very old (c1970) primus 2241 with a near full cartridge of gas in a charity shop and asked what price and got given it :) Checked up and you can still get the large 450g gas cartridges for it part no 2202 but it will take any screw thread resealable cartridge.
    161113067_vintage-1970s-primus-2241-gas-stove-in-original-box-.jpg
    Its a bit of a monster to use unless you have a vehicle so I might just split it down and use just the burner head on a smaller cartridge.
    Picture stolen from the web.

Advertisement