Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've a cheque thats just gone over 6 months old

Options
  • 31-01-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I've an expense cheque from work for a small amount thats just gone over 6 months (Dated 25th July 2013, amount is less than €100)

If I lodge it Monday, will it still be accepted?

Your pdf guide to personal banking merely states it "may" not be accepted
    Its a real pain to get new cheques issued at work, and I thought I had another month before it expired. I was away from the office and it took me months to get this first cheque. 

"
    Out-of-date cheques
    If the date on a cheque is more than six months old, we may not pay
    "

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi John,

Thanks for posting.

In this instance, you may be best to have the cheque re-issued. We can't guarantee an out of date cheque will be honoured, as it has to go through clearing with the issuing bank. 

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Nobody will examine the cheque physically because of the small amount so it will be accepted. However if the drawer of the cheque has a problem with this, and spots it within a day of it hitting their account, they could stop it. Other than that, you're home free 

Advertisement