Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First months rent?

Options
  • 31-01-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I am moving house soon. Anyway, paid a deposit weeks ago, and gave a date that suited me to move, didn't want to be paying rent on 2 properties for an extended time, so worked dates around keeping that to a minimum.
    Anyway, just had a mail from new LL regarding signing lease and collection of rent, a week before I will be moving in.
    I have assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the first months rent is paid from the date you move in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

if its by standing order the rent should come out of your account on the day before you move in. If you are paying by cash, it should be the same, but possibly with lease to sign etc. the LL just finds it handier to do it the week before with the second month's rent due in five weeks time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I would have thought the same - pay the deposit to secure the property, and then rent payable monthly in advance, i.e. from the date you are actually moving in.

Having said that, I have often paid the first months rent a few days early, just for convenience really - i.e. as in your case it might be convenient to pay it while signing the lease.

Could you reply saying that that date suits you for signing the lease, and that you will set up a standing order for payment of rent, with the first payment to be made on X date?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

sandin wrote: »
    if its by standing order the rent should come out of your account on the day before you move in. If you are paying by cash, it should be the same, but possibly with lease to sign etc. the LL just finds it handier to do it the week before with the second month's rent due in five weeks time,

What was stated was that he would collect rent and have lease to me signed, and then would collect rent on that same date each month.
    As it transpires that date doesn't suit me to meet him, I'm not in the area and have work commitments.
    I hadn't factored in the cost of paying rent on 2 properties for over half a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How long are you proposing between giving the deposit and moving in? Your post seems to suggest it wont be a matter of a few days?

djimi wrote: »
    How long are you proposing between giving the deposit and moving in? Your post seems to suggest it wont be a matter of a few days?

I paid deposit a number of weeks ago, had viewed and liked property, but wasn't in a position to move until I have given notice, etc, where I am currently living, so new LL has deposit for more than a month now.

• Advertisement

How long do you expect them to keep the property empty and not earning rent while you wait to sort yourself out? I would imagine their patience wore thin.

How long do you expect them to keep the property empty and not earning rent while you wait to sort yourself out? I would imagine their patience wore thin.

Excuse me?
    I am looking for information not opinions from people who don't know the full story.
    The property wasn't empty when I first viewed it. Prior to paying the deposit I informed LL of the specific date that I would be in a position to move in, so, for your information 'patience wearing thin' had nothing to do with the situation.
    And as for sorting myself out....seriously, who are you to pass judgement on others?

Im not passing judgement, Im simply stating fact; a vacant house is not earning money. Apologies if I took the situation up wrong, but its not normal to pay a deposit a month in advance of moving in.

Im not passing judgement, Im simply stating fact; a vacant house is not earning money. Apologies if I took the situation up wrong, but its not normal to pay a deposit a month in advance of moving in.

And again, the property was not vacant, so yes you are making assumptions, and passing judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Neadine wrote: »
    Excuse me?
    I am looking for information not opinions from people who don't know the full story.
    The property wasn't empty when I first viewed it. Prior to paying the deposit I informed LL of the specific date that I would be in a position to move in, so, for your information 'patience wearing thin' had nothing to do with the situation.
    And as for sorting myself out....seriously, who are you to pass judgement on others?

Please don't take that tone with posters. If you have a problem with a post report it and leave it to the mods to deal with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement