Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18.30pm Lee just burst it's banks Union Quay

Options
  • 31-01-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Lads, if you know anyone parked in town near union quay best give them a call to move their car. Just out from the school of music and the Lee has breached the wall & it's still raining .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think it receded shortly afterwards did it ?

No mention on news etc of any serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

just looking too see no mention hope all is ok and there wasn't too much damage done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I wasn't hanging around to find out but doesn't sound like too much damage. Quite a sight when it came over the top though !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lapps quay, Albert quay, city hall quay all partially overflowing. Plunkett street and south mall closed off. Patrick street partially flooded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

is it just me or does the water look very clear?

not much debris or mud or sewerage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Just a heads up, tomorrow's storm is less than 24hrs away now, models show storm to strong storm force winds from our vulnerable side, the East, with a sustained 12 hours of storm winds to violent storm force coming up river.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So yeah took me 2 hours to get to work this morning....:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Giak

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Just a heads up, tomorrow's storm is less than 24hrs away now, models show storm to strong storm force winds from our vulnerable side, the East, with a sustained 12 hours of storm winds to violent storm force coming up river.

What does that mean? The storm is coming up the river into the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Giak wrote: »
    What does that mean? The storm is coming up the river into the city?

I think the point is with Easterly winds, a surge of water comes up-river causing worse flooding (in addition to the heavy rainfall and high tides).

Haven't been listening to the weather forecasts much - has this year been freakishly wet/windy/stormy? I know there were a couple of exceptionally bad storms in previous weeks, but it seems to be constant winds and downpours before & since.

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Lads, if you know anyone parked in town near union quay best give them a call to move their car. Just out from the school of music and the Lee has breached the wall & it's still raining .

Not meaning to sound like a pedant, but I don't think 'breaching' is correct here; more overflow / overtop. Breaching kind of implies the bank has been broken, which I don't believe happened, and would be more severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

who_me wrote: »
    Haven't been listening to the weather forecasts much - has this year been freakishly wet/windy/stormy?.

In a way, yes, these storms and frequencies of are not unique or inandof themselves freaks, they are normal enough but usually are diverted far north of Ireland so we only get hit occasionally.

The main reason we are being hit by this constant stream of storms is the position of the jet stream that these storms follow once they drift into the Atlantic.

Additionally the extreme mix of cold and less cold air is whipping up almost everything that moves into a storm rather than a prolonged period of wet wet glooooomey weather.

Not meaning to sound like a pedant, but I don't think 'breaching' is correct here; more overflow / overtop. Breaching kind of implies the bank has been broken, which I don't believe happened, and would be more severe.

Mea Culpa...apologies, but I was typing hurriedly on my phone at the time whilst marshalling three kids into the car and trying to save people grief in case it got worse.......

No offence taken though, my wife keeps me in my place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

leahyl wrote: »
    So yeah took me 2 hours to get to work this morning....:(

Me too! Don't want to drive into the city (as there was an ambulance trying to get past a line of traffic-me being there). I don't want to go into the city, if it can be avoided. The gardaí were great today- they kept traffic moving and I was advised as to how to drive through the massive 'puddle' in Patrick Street!

Can't wait for those clowns to come round looking for votes!:D:D

Me too! Don't want to drive into the city (as there was an ambulance trying to get past a line of traffic-me being there). I don't want to go into the city, if it can be avoided. The gardaí were great today- they kept traffic moving and I was advised as to how to drive through the massive 'puddle' in Patrick Street!

Can't wait for those clowns to come round looking for votes!:D:D

Don't suppose those 'most intelligent traffic lights ever' helped....:rolleyes:

Seriously though, drove out of the city at 5am and gardai standing in puddles marshalling traffic even at that stage, fair play

Don't suppose those 'most intelligent traffic lights ever' helped....:rolleyes:

Seriously though, drove out of the city at 5am and gardai standing in puddles marshalling traffic even at that stage, fair play

Yep.....heads up to the gardaí! What are the 'most intelligent lights ever'?Please do divulge....am blow-in!

Yep.....heads up to the gardaí! What are the 'most intelligent lights ever'?Please do divulge....am blow-in!

Sorry, its off thread and I should ban myself here :P just a reference to some decisions taken in terms of road junction changes that would solve all Cork woes - apologies, back to the floods

Sorry, its off thread and I should ban myself here :P just a reference to some decisions taken in terms of road junction changes that would solve all Cork woes - apologies, back to the floods
    Funnily enough, was thinking that if the Council filled in a few MASSIVE potholes around the city, traffic might flow more freely! But there are roundabouts (that were working fine) etc to be replaced!Egos!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

All credit to the Fire Brigade yesterday, they did a great job and had Oliver Plunkett Street mostly cleared up by 11.

Mea Culpa...apologies, but I was typing hurriedly on my phone at the time whilst marshalling three kids into the car and trying to save people grief in case it got worse.......

No offence taken though, my wife keeps me in my place

So, basically what you're saying is the flooding was the least dramatic thing going on in your life! ;)

On Union Quay there isn't much difference as apart from a small bit of concrete at the bottom of the railing, there's no protection / nothing to 'breach'. Once the water level reaches any higher than the quayside, it floods.

Whereas on Grenville Place for example (by the Mercy hospital), there's a wall there that does keep the water back, well above the level of the road. When that breached a couple of years ago, there must have been a huge deluge through it.

Scary stuff either way!

• Advertisement

So, basically what you're saying is the flooding was the least dramatic thing going on in your life! ;)

I'm married to a Cork woman :)

Just seen they've announced a further €15m in flood contingency....why o why they don't just start improving the defences rather than keep paying out for the damage and repairs. The insurance companies will hit us with yet another levy to recoup the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Well, I'm effectively trapped in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Well, I'm effectively trapped in work.

Where are you Banzai and is it very bad inside??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

some thunder just gone there...

hold me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jaysus, not looking good judging by the pictures of the South Mall and Grand Parade going up on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Where are you Banzai and is it very bad inside??

The Mercy. Town is submerged and exceptionally stormy.

Patricks Quay and Horgan Quay partially underwater (inside lane is still 'dry'). Water still rising though..

p.s. I now have a moat! Yaaaay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Patricks Quay and Horgan Quay partially underwater (inside lane is still 'dry'). Water still rising though..

p.s. I now have a moat! Yaaaay!

Would you like a canoe with that? :p

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Would you like a canoe with that? :p

Don't go giving me ideas!! :D

Was tempted to buy skis after the winter a few years back, now a canoe. Cork's becoming one big activity centre!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Anyone know where I can find some pictures of flooded Cork if i'm not on social media?

Advertisement