Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18.30pm Lee just burst it's banks Union Quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Great fun swimming in flood water and getting in a canoe, heres what under the water though

1888634_582484078500272_1262459485_n.jpg

Lego!

Oh, ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

My brother's out there and said it's not bad. High tide in the morning is ten past nine, haven't heard warnings about it but bear it in mind!

will it flood again in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Great fun swimming in flood water and getting in a canoe, heres what under the water though

Lovely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

I saw pictures of people on twitter walking barefoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I wonder what the two levels of underground carpark at the Elysian are like.Also the one at the Clarion and the Kingsley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I wonder how bad are the two levels of underground carpark at the Elysian are like.Also the one at the Clarion and the Kingsley.

-2 level in Elysian was dry as a bone at high tide, so I assume -1 and ground floor are also perfectly dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

tweeted what I thought of those canoeists... now being labelled anti-fun!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I wonder what the two levels of underground carpark at the Elysian are like.Also the one at the Clarion and the Kingsley.

Clarion is ok , I was just on the 1st basement level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm just so angry that the traders of Cork have been hit yet again. I'm not a trader, in fact even though I'm cork mod, I'm working in Dublin at the mo, so have been calling home making sure it's all dry !

The councillors arrive on the doorstep and promise improvements, we get intelligent traffic lights yet the city floods. Douglas was hit badly by floods from a blocked (badly planned) culvert. Very little done there since.

Every time it floods we get announcements of a relief fund.....when are they going to wake up and realise tides are rising, climate is disimproving and Cork is getting more vulnerable each year.

Sorry to rant, but it just drives me mad !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Some good pictures here:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23corkfloods&src=hash&mode=photos

I'd say south terrace is fucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It worries me that lesson haven't been learnt from the Kingsley when they are signing off on the docklands redevelopment with events centre.

I know the N25 flyovers are NRA rather than local, but is this part of a national evacuation plan for when we finally submerge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Andip wrote: »
    Every time it floods we get announcements of a relief fund.....when are they going to wake up and realise tides are rising, climate is disimproving and Cork is getting more vulnerable each year.

Sorry to rant, but it just drives me mad !

It is crap of course, but I don't think it's worse every year. At the back of Bresnan's shop in the market, there is a line etched into the wall, with a date and initials. It's the flood line from 1961. It's not been as high since. That was water 2.5 ft high inside the market.

I think some of the long term traders are very savvy to this. Tiled floors and walls. raised floors, steps into shops, never put any stock on the floor, and are able to clear out fast. They keep an eye on the tides themselves. Cork has always flooded. Douglas was different alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

pwurple wrote: »
    It is crap of course, but I don't think it's worse every year. At the back of Bresnan's shop in the market, there is a line etched into the wall, with a date and initials. It's the flood line from 1961. It's not been as high since. That was water 2.5 ft high inside the market. .

I was a boy of seven years then, I made polystyrene boats for my Action Men and I sailed from my flat in Robert Street.

That flood was seven steps high into the flats, that covered the front door, I could only play in about four foot of water :(:)

The Munster Arcade's red transit van was floating in the Oliver Plunkett Street junction with the brown coat clad [shop coat] hapless driver trapped on its roof. Later the Fire Brigade arrived with a boat load of people who had taken refuge on abandoned cars and window stills thinking this would subside in an hour like normal ~ it did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ruginator wrote: »
    Bunch of Muppets. People's livelihoods are going down the pan, the shop their in is ruined, and their smiling while misfortune is all around them

Are these people by any chance the shop owners? That is the only way their picture is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

gimmick wrote: »
    Are these people by any chance the shop owners? That is the only way their picture is ok.

a tweet on twitter claimed that they were CIT canoe club but the tweet has since been deleted or at least i cannot find it again (still don't know how to screenshot on my new phone), they were tweeting all the national and local media with the pictures trying to get some publicity it would seem...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I think some of the long term traders are very savvy to this. Tiled floors and walls. raised floors, steps into shops, never put any stock on the floor, and are able to clear out fast. They keep an eye on the tides themselves. Cork has always flooded.

You've hit the nail on the head here. There was footage last night on the news of a few traders lambasting the lack of sandbags being handed out and this indeed may have been the case. BUT If you're trading in an environment when flooding always happens you need to be prepared yourself.

I feel for the independent traders who bore the brunt especially when trading is getting it from the economy as well but some of them really need to be better prepared for the environment they are trading in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Do you think they'd be fcuking smiling and having the craic if they were the owners??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Gru wrote: »
    What a bunch of complete asshats.

The best and most apt comment

Hope they have got their hepatitis injections last night:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I still think a tidal barrier like the one in Hull is what's needed.

This is caused by a tidal surge and the City sits on underground rivers.

All the proposals I've seen are for walls and embankments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It is crap of course, but I don't think it's worse every year. At the back of Bresnan's shop in the market, there is a line etched into the wall, with a date and initials. It's the flood line from 1961. It's not been as high since. That was water 2.5 ft high inside the market.

I think some of the long term traders are very savvy to this. Tiled floors and walls. raised floors, steps into shops, never put any stock on the floor, and are able to clear out fast. They keep an eye on the tides themselves. Cork has always flooded. Douglas was different alright.

Clearly the council cant be relied on. Given that I can't understand why businesses didn't invest in flood doors and non return valves for drains. Its flooding in the town I am in and the locals are up in arms but this happens every decade or so. A couple of buildings near the river have flood doors etc and they suffer no damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Do you think they'd be fcuking smiling and having the craic if they were the owners??

Calm down :rolleyes:

Do you really think I thought the answer was yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Calm down :rolleyes:

Do you really think I thought the answer was yes?
    I think the people taking the pictures (not the canoing eejits) seem like staff too.

Clearly the council cant be relied on. Given that I can't understand why businesses didn't invest in flood doors and non return valves for drains. Its flooding in the town I am in and the locals are up in arms but this happens every decade or so. A couple of buildings near the river have flood doors etc and they suffer no damage.

i think it depends on the building they are in,
    some of the buildings are 'protected' buildings, or certain parts like the windows are protected meaning they cannot be changed or modified just kept in working order, its ridiculous really especially since other better looking buildings have been completely demolished or rebuilt and can have these flood protection measures...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i think it depends on the building they are in,
    some of the buildings are 'protected' buildings, or certain parts like the windows are protected meaning they cannot be changed or modified just kept in working order, its ridiculous really especially since other better looking buildings have been completely demolished or rebuilt and can have these flood protection measures...

Good point, but there are plenty of removable options that do not require permanent fixtures. It just seems weird that in an area where flooding is known to happen often that people are relying on the council to protect them, especially when the measures taken by the council previously are woefully inadequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It does depend on the building, and maybe the characteristics of the floods have changed as well, with different streets now getting hit. I was just thinking that on the news last night, the trader who was very stressed out had only opened her shop 2 weeks previously. So she obviously wasn't used to this, and was unprepared. I hope she wasn't wiped out... but it is something to bear in mind when trading in Cork city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Ruginator wrote: »
    Bunch of Muppets. People's livelihoods are going down the pan, the shop their in is ruined, and their smiling while misfortune is all around them

Except the photo is from the shops Facebook page. How do you think they got into the shop and who took the photo's? It's a laugh or cry moment and the owner has certainly got a lot more publicity for the damage the floods did than the 20 second soundbite he had on 6:01 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Does anyone know if floods are expected again tonight on Oliver Plunkett Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'm surprised the business owners don't group together and announce that all rates dues for 2014 will not be paid to offset the loss. I'm sure the council would (magically) jump into gear then ;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Loire wrote: »
    I'm surprised the business owners don't group together and announce that all rates dues for 2014 will not be paid to offset the loss. I'm sure the council would (magically) jump into gear then ;):rolleyes:

they shouldn't have to go that far to be fair, the city council could give them relief on a weeks/months worth of rates surely?

Advertisement