Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18.30pm Lee just burst it's banks Union Quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Loire wrote: »
    I'm surprised the business owners don't group together and announce that all rates dues for 2014 will not be paid to offset the loss. I'm sure the council would (magically) jump into gear then ;):rolleyes:

With the magic money required, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ray13

Clearly the council cant be relied on. Given that I can't understand why businesses didn't invest in flood doors and non return valves for drains. Its flooding in the town I am in and the locals are up in arms but this happens every decade or so. A couple of buildings near the river have flood doors etc and they suffer no damage.

Very true, I cannot understand why business owners are not using door flood barriers such as these http://www.buyfloodgates.com/category.aspx?categoryID=1

They are relatively cheap, installation in minutes! it truly defies logic that people would rely on sandbags in this day and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Loire wrote: »
    I'm surprised the business owners don't group together and announce that all rates dues for 2014 will not be paid to offset the loss. I'm sure the council would (magically) jump into gear then ;):rolleyes:

That will not happen, this is Ireland not France. We are me feiners, once I am alright Jack and all that.

kub wrote: »
    That will not happen, this is Ireland not France. We are me feiners, once I am alright Jack and all that.

Not paying rates happens for the flimsiest of excuses. Nothing to do with being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

Ray13 wrote: »
    Very true, I cannot understand why business owners are not using door flood barriers such as these http://www.buyfloodgates.com/category.aspx?categoryID=1

They are relatively cheap, installation in minutes! it truly defies logic that people would rely on sandbags in this day and age!

Agree with this 100% - businesses in Clonakilty took this approach after more than their fair share of flood damage over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

we got them in work and have to say have been sorted not one drop of water in the door and that was on Victoria road

On the other hand with the canoe'rs just got wind that twas all a set up for a photo op that they went into a shoe shop to get their snap taking that lets say they were all friends

Milly33 wrote: »
    we got them in work and have to say have been sorted not one drop of water in the door and that was on Victoria road

You need to keep an eye on the toilet and drains too - the water will back up out of them if it is high enough outside. Its not very pleasant :eek: You can get non return valves fitted or just get inflatable pipe bungs or stoppers.

that is true too ick I remember working a few doors down and sewerage used to bubble over down the back. There isn't enough pipes or something around the area and when a blockage happens then you get this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ray13 wrote: »

We asked about these for our store on Oliver Plunkett Street and was told it'd take up to a week to get the barrier.

Installation may be quick, but getting one isn't.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    We asked about these for our store on Oliver Plunkett Street and was told it'd take up to a week to get the barrier.

In fairness to them if you were ringing up just before flood warnings its no surprise they were busy.

Dont meant to sounds mean but up to a week isnt actually bad delivery time.. That is standard really for this type of thing.. Plus a week wait compare to a of water damage i know which one i would pick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sonics2k wrote: »

One week is an incredibly short wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

evilivor wrote: »
    BfqcedcIIAAprU4.jpg:large

I know one of these guys. The shop owner actually invited them into the shop to take pictures. Most people they met thought what they were doing was hilarious. I don't understand the hate they are getting on here, what exactly did they do that was so bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

MadYaker wrote: »
    I know one of these guys. The shop owner actually invited them into the shop to take pictures. Most people they met thought what they were doing was hilarious. I don't understand the hate they are getting on here, what exactly did they do that was so bad?

Paddling up OPS creating waves which crashed into already damaged businesses as owners begged them to keep away from their side of the street. Of course they probably couldn't hear them over all the roaring they were doing to their friends about canoeing down the street. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What shop are they in actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Paddling up OPS creating waves which crashed into already damaged businesses as owners begged them to keep away from their side of the street. Of course they probably couldn't hear them over all the roaring they were doing to their friends about canoeing down the street. Idiots.

They're kayaks. They don't have engines. What 'waves' would they create? any 'wash' would be no worse than people walking past.

Sounds like a bit of exaggeration to me - no offence intended Banzai!

blindsider wrote: »
    They're kayaks. They don't have engines. What 'waves' would they create? any 'wash' would be no worse than people walking past.

What benefit would I have in exaggerating? I was walking home from work, not in one of those affected businesses. I just posted what I saw happening last night. The effect of the paddles was creating waves which people asked them to stop doing and they didn't. I posted about this last night BTW, before there was any pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Fair enough. I stand by my comment though - kayaks like that don't create waves - ripples maybe, waves? No. I'm sure any Emergency vehicle going up OP's would have created waves alright - but kayaks....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    What benefit would I have in exaggerating? I was walking home from work, not in one of those affected businesses. I just posted what I saw happening last night. The effect of the paddles was creating waves which people asked them to stop doing and they didn't. I posted about this last night BTW, before there was any pictures.

Id say the waves that you're on about were caused by the people swimming in it.

The whole city flooded and you're bothered by a few gang in Kayaks having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

blindsider wrote: »

not an exaggeration blindsider, the waves or ripples were going over the sandbags and doors stops rendering them useless.
    They were complete idiots to say the least. asked to stop and ignored the shop owners completely
    If they are that interested in Kayaking, go on to a river or the sea, not city streets. idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    What shop are they in actually?

O'Connors Princes Street.

Id say the waves that you're on about were caused by the people swimming in it.

The whole city flooded and you're bothered by a few gang in Kayaks having a laugh.

Huh?

The waves were caused by the paddles, not people swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

So did anyone see any council workers out that night or was it just canoers? Can't get over how bad the drainage systems are- might have been act of god but the council's incompetence exacerbated thing enormously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I cant believe some people here.A whole City Centre gets flooded,you get hundreds of people trying to wade/walk through the water,people running through the water,people cycling through the water,people driving through it.

And its a half dozen gang in Kayaks who caused all the damage.FFS.:rolleyes:

Lol calm down dear and read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

TBH if I had a kayak, I wouldn't bring it in. It would be interesting for sure, but a bit disrespectful to folks in real difficulty.

Prob the shoe shop guy was in good humour and had nothing more to lose. Might not get a good reaction from every business owner slopping out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

justbored wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Would be no bad idea to contact the hotel as there was water out up around there afaik.

• Advertisement

justbored wrote: »
    Can't get over the photos, it must be so hard for the people with premises there,

A group of us are due to go to Cork for the weekend, we are staying in the river lee hotel. Is the street where that hotel is flooded? is the city centre 'closed' as such?

The road is fine there today, there was a lot of surface water but no actual flooding on that area. Would be wise to check closer to the time though.

Advertisement