Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18.30pm Lee just burst it's banks Union Quay

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

justbored wrote: »

Most business were prepared and are back open already, it will probably be business as normal for the majority I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

you will be grand,,enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

For the most part, the floods that you've seen were just around high-tide. For instance the quays near me went from fine -> flooded -> fine in little over an hour. Some parts (probably the city centre streets where the water came up through the drains) retained the water for longer.

I think others have answered about the hotel itself. At least the bridge to it is nice and high, but I think the quay opposite (used for access) is prone to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I seriously think you've misinterpreted the situation, kayaks create tiny ripples, not waves. They also got a free pint in one of the pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

MadYaker wrote: »
    I seriously think you've misinterpreted the situation, kayaks create tiny ripples, not waves. They also got a free pint in one of the pubs.

they were also asked by some of the shop owners to not do it as it was further damaging their stores, but the kayakers ignored them.

hope they enjoyed their free pint :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I can well understand home & business owners being upset at people making light of the damage being caused (and possibly seeming to make the damage worse), knowing how much it will cost them.

But, the damage done isn't being caused by the kayakers. If a couple of centimetres of ripple is enough to cause extra damage, they should give up and close their businesses now before they lose more money. There will be more floods and worse floods. Flood door guards can be bought for less than 200 euros, there's no excuse for businesses not having them installed and instead berating the council for not giving out enough free (and less effective) sandbags. It would be the best investment they've ever made. The city has been flooding for many decades if not centuries, no one could be surprised by it. And yet, next year we'll go through this all again.

Flood guards won't stop water if it's coming up through the foundations or through the drains; but at least it means owners won't have to be out on the streets warning pedestrians, kayakers and motorists away; and stopping the sandbags from moving or being stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Blaming Global Warming is a cop out by politicians. The city has been flooding for years. Its just convenient to turn the blame on everyone but themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

MadYaker wrote: »

Oh they were offered a free pint? Absolved! Great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

In the year 2014 in a major city we still can't direct water in a way in which we want it to flow when it rains heavily in a country that it rains a lot is quite frankly unbelievable. "Cork always floods" might of been an excuse in the 1800's but not anymore. People scrambling for sandbags off the back of a lorry was like looking at scenes of people in Africa fighting over aid food supplies and what's peoples major gripe? The tiny insignificant ripple from a kayak. Millions and millons of euro worth of damage already caused by something that all too regularly happens and people in kayaks is whats ticking most of ye off the most? Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

most people are capable of being annoyed by more than one thing at a time, Max :)

Advertisement