Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Vodafone anyway have it set so the downstream SNR target is 10db. It's unnecessary. Before the latest updates I was connected for weeks with not one disconnect at a downstream SNR of 6db. I asked them to change my SNR target to 6db but they didn't understand what I was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

Vodafone anyway have it set so the downstream SNR target is 10db. It's unnecessary. Before the latest updates I was connected for weeks with not one disconnect at a downstream SNR of 6db. I asked them to change my SNR target to 6db but they didn't understand what I was talking about.

Exactly the same experience here - right down to the phone call and the feeling that the person I was speaking to couldn't appreciate why I was asking for a change in target SNR. For me too the connection was always stable at 6 (even when it went a little less than that) and I'm fairly certain that it would make the difference between the highest available profile to me being the 25Mb one I'm on now and the 30Mb one I've always been just short of.

EDIT:
    Also I used to have 5Mb upstream when the SNR was targeted at 6 - now that it's targeted at 9 I only get 2.5Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its CPE defined isnt it? Probably hardcoded into the firmware.

ED E wrote: »
    Its CPE defined isnt it? Probably hardcoded into the firmware.

Hi Ed. I don't what CPE is but it seems that not all providers are targeting SNR to a minimum of 9. I'd be interested to see SNR stats from people 1.5km+ from the cab who are with the different providers.

Modem/Router. I think the SNR target is built into them. Arctan might know.

It'd be interesting if any boardsies had a Draytek they might be able to play with it. They'd also have to be set to a high rate adaptive profile for it to go that low.

• Advertisement

It'd be interesting if any boardsies had a Draytek they might be able to play with it. They'd also have to be set to a high rate adaptive profile for it to go that low.

I'd formed the impression (partly from info in this thread and partly from speaking to TS at Vodafone) that the SNR is set as part of the rate adaptive profiling of my line. I don't know what system does this or who is responsible for it but I had pretty much ruled out my router as being responsible: Its firmware updated more than two weeks before the target SNR changed (which I'm tentatively thinking resulted as part of the implementation of G.INP) and I've already changed the firmware to older versions and back again to see if it makes a difference: it doesn't. (The experiment did have a few curious side effects though - btw: if anyone wants one of the 12 most recent versions of the HG658c firmware they're available from Vodafone here: http://publicacs.vodafone.co.uk/firmware/IE/Huawei/HG658c/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

OcocO wrote: »
    Yes, those are remarkably high net attainables for the distance! Have you tried Eircom to see if they'll put you on a slightly higher profile?

I did... was on 25/7 now on
    ======================================================================
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.959 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.240 Mbps       40.960 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       10.7 dB           15.8 dB
                Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
              Transmit Power:        8.9 dBm          14.0 dBm
               Receive Power:       -7.1 dBm         -10.7 dBm
                  Actual INP:       29.0 symbols      29.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       16.0 dB           24.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     12.230 Mbps       53.640 Mbps
    ============================================================================
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  7.3    38.9    57.2     N/A    18.6    48.6    73.0   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  7.3    38.3    56.8     N/A    23.8    48.3     N/A   
            SNR Margin(dB): 10.2    11.0    10.2     N/A    15.1    15.1     N/A   
       Transmit Power(dBm):  0.1     6.1     4.2     N/A    13.0     7.6     N/A   

Previous for info. My SNR margin has dropped a good bit with the higher speeds.
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   1 day: 21 hours: 28 minutes
                   Line Rate:      7.167 Mbps       25.598 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:      7.168 Mbps       25.599 Mbps
                  SNR Margin:       15.6 dB           25.4 dB
              Transmit Power:        8.4 dBm          14.4 dBm
               Receive Power:       -6.8 dBm         -10.0 dBm
                  Actual INP:       30.0 symbols      30.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       15.3 dB           24.5 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     12.165 Mbps       53.084 Mbps
      Line Attenuation(dB):  7.3    38.8    57.0     N/A    18.6    48.5    72.8   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  7.3    37.9    66.0     N/A    23.8    48.2     N/A   
            SNR Margin(dB): 15.9    15.6    16.8     N/A    25.4    25.5     N/A   
       Transmit Power(dBm):  0.4     6.1     2.6     N/A    13.7     6.2     N/A   

Well I was a month on a SNR of 6db before the G.INP update and my modem hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Digiweb, Fritzbox users

I just recieve an email from digiweb tech support this morning

"Thanks very much for the details you sent. I was very helpful and accurate
    information. The modem guys were able to use these details to create a new
    firmware file for the fritz box to improve the issue. We are currently loading
    this firmware onto a modem and would like to send this modem to you. Once
    received please run some speed tests on speedtest.digiweb.ie and see if speed
    issue is resolved."

I will any new information as i recieve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

GIMickey wrote: »
    Digiweb, Fritzbox users

issue is resolved."

I did say that AVM would do everything they can to fix this problem. A decent company really.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    I did say that AVM would do everything they can to fix this problem. A decent company really.

Yeah i was talking with both Digiweb and AVM, both companies got back to me with the same questions

Surprised really.

Just hope it works now.

MBSnr wrote: »
    I did... was on 25/7 now on
    ======================================================================
                   Line Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.959 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.240 Mbps       40.960 Mbps
                  SNR Margin:       10.7 dB           15.8 dB
              Transmit Power:        8.9 dBm          14.0 dBm
               Receive Power:       -7.1 dBm         -10.7 dBm
           Total Attenuation:       16.0 dB           24.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     12.230 Mbps       53.640 Mbps
      Line Attenuation(dB):  7.3    38.9    57.2     N/A    18.6    48.6    73.0   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  7.3    38.3    56.8     N/A    23.8    48.3     N/A   
            SNR Margin(dB): 10.2    11.0    10.2     N/A    15.1    15.1     N/A   
       Transmit Power(dBm):  0.1     6.1     4.2     N/A    13.0     7.6     N/A   

Excellent! :)
    And thanks for the before and after for the purposes of comparative analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Yeah i was talking with both Digiweb and AVM, both companies got back to me with the same questions

Surprised really.

Just hope it works now.

Great news, the routers really are excellent bar not picking up the vectoring changes.

OcocO wrote: »
    Excellent! :)
    And thanks for the before and after for the purposes of comparative analysis.

NP ;-)

I asked the Eircom rep I have been in contact with to tell me the line distance but I didn't get any feedback - perhaps he can't actually say and only an engineer can. My attenuation, by the online checkers, puts me further than I actually think the line is. My latest best guess is the line length is 1.25Km (as I was told it actually runs to one cabinet, but since that was full it then runs back on itself to another and Google maps gives that as the distance). I think the joints and the internal cable run of 40m results in the higher attenuation of 25dB for the distance. This still ties in with Eircom initially saying I could not get fibre as I was over 1Km distance from the cabinet.

I asked the Eircom rep I have been in contact with to tell me the line distance but I didn't get any feedback - perhaps he can't actually say and only an engineer can. My attenuation, by the online checkers, puts me further than I actually think the line is. My latest best guess is the line length is 1.25Km (as I was told it actually runs to one cabinet, but since that was full it then runs back on itself to another and Google maps gives that as the distance). I think the joints and the internal cable run of 40m results in the higher attenuation of 25dB for the distance. This still ties in with Eircom initially saying I could not get fibre as I was over 1Km distance from the cabinet.

Thanks for trying to get a reading on your distance - I'd still be most interested to know if you find out. In my case it was only the visiting engineers who could tell me alright. Your explanation would go a long way to accounting for your attainable speeds though (at least, based on my patchy knowledge of all this, I imagine it does). I did a very careful check of my own (seeming) physical distance from the cab using Google Maps as well some time back - literally plotting telegraph pole to telegraph pole and, coincidentally enough, I also got just over 1.2km. The line disappears under the ground some 100 meters from the cab so I have to assume that the remaining 700m odd is the result of the very circuitous route it must take to travel those last 100m as the crow flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Here is mine.

Is it bad?

At times with vectoring enabled, FEC and CRC errors will be in the thousands. As the line is sampled for interrupting signals and an antiphase of that signal is introduced to counteract the interrupter, in essence this registers as errors. Taking into account that vectoring has significantly increased the frequency at which transmission occurs and recurs there should be no adverse affects on your line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Digiweb, Fritzbox users

issue is resolved."

Any news on this? If you are 'talking' to AVM, can you ask if the 7390 will be included in any software update for this problem?

Deagol wrote: »
    Any news on this? If you are 'talking' to AVM, can you ask if the 7390 will be included in any software update for this problem?

Got the UK edition on the 7360 on Monday with a beta firmware.
    No improvements anywhere. But I'm giving line diagnostics back. I'm working with Digiweb, I think they are working directly with the firmware team in AVM.

I'm guessing if the issue is resolved they shud release firmware for ur model also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

NP ;-)

use this guide to work out your line length

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

use this guide to work out your line length

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

Thanks, but as I posted, I already have and it gives a result of 1.8Km, which I am sceptical of as I am running on the 40/10 profile.....

• Advertisement

Thanks, but as I posted, I already have and it gives a result of 1.8Km, which I am sceptical of as I am running on the 40/10 profile.....

As far as I can tell, Eircom / Telecom Eireann / P&T, don't use the 26AWG cable that that site presumes. Therefore the attenuation / Km is probably quite a bit out.

I'd stand to be corrected on that if we have anyone knowledgable on the type of TP cable Eircom use(d)?

Got the UK edition on the 7360 on Monday with a beta firmware.
    No improvements anywhere. But I'm giving line diagnostics back. I'm working with Digiweb, I think they are working directly with the firmware team in AVM.

I'm guessing if the issue is resolved they shud release firmware for ur model also.

Ok, thanks for the update :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Visited my parents this weekend, they're pretty far from their cabinet and before vectoring was enabled they were getting 12 down and 1 up (a vast improvement over their old DSL).

This weekend though their speedtests are 20 down and 3 up, very nice! Vectoring is effective even on very long lines it would appear.

Visited my parents this weekend, they're pretty far from their cabinet and before vectoring was enabled they were getting 12 down and 1 up (a vast improvement over their old DSL).

This weekend though their speedtests are 20 down and 3 up, very nice! Vectoring is effective even on very long lines it would appear.

Would you be able to hazard a guess as to the distance from the cab they are? You can get down to street level on the fibre map here http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/. Tick the Live box on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

My line got reprofiled last night.
    Suddenly went from 10 / 40 to the maximum the line will take which is 20/70 roughly.

Not bad at 650m from the cabinet!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not bad at 650m from the cabinet!

Not bad! That is super.

This VDSL and vectoring really is fantastic news. It looks like superfast broadband should be a reality for the majority of people in urban and semi-urban areas.

That is fantastic news, we finally have the urban broadband problem fixed.

Now we just need rural Ireland sorted.

^^^
    Yeap have to say I'm more than impressed with the Eircom VDSL connection I have at work! A guy in Eircom told me that anyone within 300m of a cab should expect the 100Mbps profile with vectoring (obv. if their line is suitable).

We just need more reports of lines on longer runs (which unfortunately is a bit lacking but should increase in time...). As I mentioned before, I'm hopeful that vectoring has provided a chance of the reach being extended out beyond 2Km for suitable lines (esp. those directly connected lines to exchanges). It seems (based on the limited reports/versus longer known distance) that the speed profile used has been a pleasant surprise - in that it's more than was expected.

I've seen the stats for a connection with Vodafone (easily within 300m) still on the 70Mbps profile - but didn't get to see the net attainables - so perhaps vectoring is not enabled there. I don't like the way the HG658 doesn't show them on the main status screen unlike the F1000....

The small distributed cabinets make a lot of sense with population distributions like we have here in Ireland.

Even our urban areas are fairly low density.

I'm within 2km of Patrick's St in Cork but it's an old mostly Victorian (some Georgian) area with lots of space between houses. UPC coverage is patchy. They've done a terrace here and there and some individual houses that paid for ducts in the 80s.

So VDSL has been a massive improvement. Entire area is adequately covered with about 5 cabinets.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes vectorised VDSL2 is proving to be quiet a good solution for Irelands unique challenges.

I'm also looking forward to the rollout of VDSL to exchange only lines and to see how VDSL handles longer lines in rural Ireland.

In the longterm, I'm hoping they will introduce smaller, pole mounted VDSL cabs, that might help serve rural Ireland even better.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    I'm also looking forward to the rollout of VDSL to exchange only lines and to see how VDSL handles longer lines in rural Ireland.

From another thread eircom wholesale have started the trials for direct fed. Wont be too long now.

bk wrote: »
    Yes vectorised VDSL2 is proving to be quiet a good solution for Irelands unique challenges.

In the longterm, I'm hoping they will introduce smaller, pole mounted VDSL cabs, that might help serve rural Ireland even better.

Ohh pole mounted VDSL cabs.... they exist? About 300m from my house all the lines from the exchange are terminated on a pole (with the weather proof connectors) then disappear underground for a few hundred metres under power lines.... That's the phone line for nearly every house 2km and further East of the exchange. If there was ever a location for a pole mounted VDSL cab then that's it....

Ohh pole mounted VDSL cabs.... they exist? About 1Km from my house all the lines from the exchange are terminated on a pole (with the weather proof connectors) then disappear underground for a few hundred metres under power lines.... That's the phone line for nearly every house 1km and further East of the exchange. If there was ever a location for a pole mounted VDSL cab then that's it....

There are pole mounted and also underground ones that can be fitted into vaults.
    However, I haven't seen one from Huawei yet. I'd suspect if they're going to be used here they'll probably stick to the same supplier to keep it all in one maintenance contract.

The Huawei gear is proving to be very good though and they've really innovated on VDSL2 stuff. Seems it's getting excellent reviews from operators that have used it elsewhere too.

That's a "mini cab" https://www.ecitele.com/OurOffering/Products/Pages/MiniCab-64V.aspx for example from ECI.

Supports up to 64 lines and you can mount it on a pole or in an underground vault. They require no cooling or anything like that, it's all passive.

Obviously, for eircom it would need to support the same kind of vectoring and it if were from the same vendor as the existing small cabinets, it would make a lot of sense.
              VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   1 day: 2 hours: 54 minutes
                   Line Rate:     20.476 Mbps       68.821 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     20.477 Mbps       68.822 Mbps
                  SNR Margin:        9.1 dB            8.4 dB
              Transmit Power:        7.7 dBm          12.1 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.6 dBm          -9.1 dBm
           Total Attenuation:       21.3 dB           21.2 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     21.268 Mbps       67.064 Mbps
      Line Attenuation(dB):  6.0    31.2    46.9     N/A    15.7    39.6    61.6   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  6.0    30.8    46.4     N/A    17.5    39.3    61.8   
            SNR Margin(dB):  9.7     9.3     9.0     N/A     8.1     8.1     8.0   
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 7.8     1.0     6.4     N/A     8.3     8.2     4.4   

At 650 meters

To Cork Internet Exchange:
    3527920984.png

To Blacknight:

3527922559.png

To London:
    3527925806.png

Ohh pole mounted VDSL cabs.... they exist? About 300m from my house all the lines from the exchange are terminated on a pole (with the weather proof connectors) then disappear underground for a few hundred metres under power lines.... That's the phone line for nearly every house 2km and further East of the exchange. If there was ever a location for a pole mounted VDSL cab then that's it....

Yup there are some mini pole mountable VDSL cabs. As you say excellent solution for a situation like yours. Here is an example of a 16 port model:

http://www.zyxelonline.com/showpic.php?categid=2&picid=84&view=1

I don't think they will look to do this for at least another year, maybe even two or more. There is too much low hanging fruit of standard VDSL cabs and exchange only lines to do first. But I'm hopeful they will.

Ireland's climate actually has serious advantages for this kind of technology (and poses a few problems too)

Advantage:

It's very temperate and cool meaning that you don't need complicated air conditioning and cooling systems on most outdoor plant. That's a huge issue in most other countries as on warm days it can easily go >30ºC and in winter you can risk freezing temperatures which can cause problems too.

In general you should be able to install quite compact cabinets as there are no real heat/cooling issues whatsoever and most equipment would be able to cool completely passively all year.

The biggest issue you have to contend with in Ireland is waterproofing as we get a lot of driving rain, drizzle and plants that will happily penetrate enclosures i.e. moss, ivy etc.

So, all in all it's not a bad place to use outdoor equipment and is far more suited to it than say Spain, most of France, or California in some ways where you'd have serious heat issues. In fact, almost everywhere else other than Ireland, Britain, Iceland, New Zealand, Western France and maybe parts of Western Scandinavia etc tends to face far more extreme weather.

---

BTW: Really impressed with eircom's ping times! They've improved dramatically in the last few months.

BTW: Really impressed with eircom's ping times! They've improved dramatically in the last few months.

IPoE helps there as your packets go direct to their destination, not to an access server that could be half way across the country and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Any way of finding out when your cabinet is going to get vectoring enabled? Like a roll out plan?

Xcellor wrote: »
    Any way of finding out when your cabinet is going to get vectoring enabled? Like a roll out plan?

AFAIK, they're all enabled at this stage.

Check your modem stats and see if your 'attainable speed' has gone up. You could still be on a slower profile. In that case, you might need to contact your ISP's technical support.

Eircom seem to be re-profiling their own customers automatically (bit by bit), but that doesn't necessarily mean that other ISPs using the cabinets are necessarily doing the same.

The profile is just the speed that your account is set to rather than what the line's capable of.

AFAIK, they're all enabled at this stage.

Check your modem stats and see if your 'attainable speed' has gone up. You could still be on a slower profile. In that case, you might need to contact your ISP's technical support.

Eircom seem to be re-profiling their own customers automatically (bit by bit), but that doesn't necessarily mean that other ISPs using the cabinets are necessarily doing the same.

The profile is just the speed that your account is set to rather than what the line's capable of.

When i originally got VDSL months back it was synching at 40mb , recently this dropped to 36-38. I am about 1 KM away from cab. My SNR has not changed signficantly or attentionuation leading me to believe vecitoring has not been enabled?

At 1km from the cabinet, that's probably within the norms.

There are two issues :

1) Noise - vectoring actively cancels this. So on shorter lines this can see big speed improvements.
    2) Attenuation - signal fading and becoming weaker as it passes through a medium i.e. copper wire in this case.
    Unfortunately, at 1000m away from the cabinet, that's a lot of copper to get the signal through and vectoring doesn't do anything to reduce attenuation.

It's possible the line has vectoring switched on but that it's just having no impact on your speed due to your distance from the cabinet.

At 1km from the cabinet, that's probably within the norms.

There are two issues :

1) Noise - vectoring actively cancels this. So on shorter lines this can see big speed improvements.
    2) Attenuation - signal fading and becoming weaker as it passes through a medium i.e. copper wire in this case.
    Unfortunately, at 1000m away from the cabinet, that's a lot of copper to get the signal through and vectoring doesn't do anything to reduce attenuation.

It's possible the line has vectoring switched on but that it's just having no impact on your speed due to your distance from the cabinet.

Yeah maybe will check when home. Also measure distance from cab. I think it's probably less than 1km

• Advertisement

Xcellor wrote: »
    Yeah maybe will check when home. Also measure distance from cab. I think it's probably less than 1km

Check it out, but just remember that the distance to the cab may not be the distance along the road.

Occasionally phone wiring can take some odd routes for historical reasons i.e. you might have a line going to a cabinet that might have made sense in 1967 when your house was built but doesn't make sense now due to other local developments.

You can also find that the cabinet could be directly opposite your house, but the wiring takes a scenic route through your estate (happened a friend of mine! - they can see the cabinet outside the window on a green outside their house but the wiring goes right around the outside of the estate and back in the main entrance adding about 600m to it!)

Telecom/P&T/eircom also used various different gauges of wire over the decades (although most of it seems to be very good quality surprisingly enough. The main issue in Ireland is that the lines can be VERY long). However, you can get slight variations in attenuation so, it's not always a 100% accurate judge of distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am with VF and waiting patiently for vectoring to be enabled, I have the latest frimware in modem, but its bridged. When I check eircom site it says line can take 50mb, it used to say 40mb but when I check VF site it says up to 100mb. I am 800 metres from cabinet and get around 35mb/8mb but when I got fibre first it was a steady 38/8. Pings have improved on speedtest and I notice GALWAY has been deleted. I am in clare.

If I ring VF tech support should they be able to up the profile or is it still like the old days they wait for eircom? In other words do I just hang on?

The roll out has been a shambles so far.

swoofer wrote: »
    I am with VF and waiting patiently for vectoring to be enabled, I have the latest frimware in modem, but its bridged. When I check eircom site it says line can take 50mb, it used to say 40mb but when I check VF site it says up to 100mb. I am 800 metres from cabinet and get around 35mb/8mb but when I got fibre first it was a steady 38/8. Pings have improved on speedtest and I notice GALWAY has been deleted. I am in clare.

If I ring VF tech support should they be able to up the profile or is it still like the old days they wait for eircom? In other words do I just hang on?

Ring em, if the stats are good they'll do it in a few minutes.

What roll out has been a shambles?

I haven't had vectoring enabled yet, I think I on one of the big cabinets that needs different tech.

What roll out has been a shambles?

I haven't had vectoring enabled yet, I think I on one of the big cabinets that needs different tech.

To be fair to them, the rollout hasn't been a shambles. It's actually been very quick and very smooth.

AFAIK, the entire NGA rollout is using a standard type of Huawei cabinet. There was an early trial in Dundrum and Sandyford in Dublin that used Alcatel cabinets which were an earlier design - very large white ones rolled out about 5 years ago at this stage.

I had assumed they'd been replaced with the standard Huawei ones that were selected in the end.

I had assumed they'd been replaced with the standard Huawei ones that were selected in the end.

Theyre still in place in at least two locations.

There's a pair here on Taney Road:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.291549,-6.233369,3a,39.9y,127.71h,87.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skKe6ORoC1lP6vr-es07BOw!2e0

The shambles is that there has been no news by VF about vectoring, all they have done is change theIr website to show " up to 100mb" which I detest.

Eircom did a press release aeons ago and nothing else. One has now way of knowing if local cabinet has been enabled so you are at the mercy of the provider.

Eircom will understandably upgrade their customers automatically but the rest of us are faffing about waiting for news.

The roll out was expected to finish end of March 2014.

What eircom could do and should have done was mark the cabinets on their map as enabled for vectoring as they went along. They could also do a few updated press releases advising of progress.

I am only ranting as my line went bad as vectoring was being rolled out but a great guy on VF tech support told me just now, line has a fault so until that is fixed no point in enabling vectoring but he has put my speed back up to 39mb/8.5mb, however until fault is fixed this may drop again. Its now over to eircom.

I was expecting vectoring by end of March and its nearly June now. I know I should not moan but a lot of the blurb promises great things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Eircom will understandably upgrade their customers automatically but the rest of us are faffing about waiting for news.
    What happens is vectoring is enabled and higher speed profiles are made available for the lines by eircom wholesale. It is then up to each retail operator to apply the higher profiles to their customer's lines.

jd thanks, does that mean VF should do it automatically? But, as in my case, if there is a line fault they will do nothing until I ring them???

Theyre still in place in at least two locations.

There's a pair here on Taney Road:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.291549,-6.233369,3a,39.9y,127.71h,87.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skKe6ORoC1lP6vr-es07BOw!2e0

Do they still contain the original Alcatel-Lucent DSLAMs though?
    It's quite possible that eircom re-kitted them out with Huawei gear since. Or, at least have AlcaLu gear that's to the same more up-to-date spec.

The white box is just a cabinet with racks. It's what's inside that matters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement