Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

swoofer wrote: »
    ah but is it switched on????

He's on 100Mb. Above 70 isnt available on non vectored cabs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ED E wrote: »
    He's on 100Mb. Above 70 isnt available on non vectored cabs.
    swoofer wrote: »
    ah but is it switched on????

Basically what Ed E said :P

Would be handy IMO to have a list of Vectored areas or at least Vectored cabinets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Not on in Newtownforbes longford yet. Same Snr as always same sync too

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Has there been any new plans/updates for lines connected via the exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Manc Red wrote: »
    Has there been any new plans/updates for lines connected via the exchange?

Some of the exchanges now have cabinets inside them and some trials are ongoing. So hopefully there will be a roll out soon countrywide.

The remaining big questions with the vdsl rollout in general are:

When will direct fed exchanges lines be enabled for vdsl

When will system level vectoring be enabled

Praetorian wrote: »
    Some of the exchanges now have cabinets inside them and some trials are ongoing. So hopefully there will be a roll out soon countrywide.

The remaining big questions with the vdsl rollout in general are:

When will direct fed exchanges lines be enabled for vdsl

When will system level vectoring be enabled

Has it been made clear what grouping is being used for vectoring right now. Some users saw 30% boosts, that could well be full dslam(cab) vectoring. Cross cab vectoring is unlikely to make any real difference, if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Digiweb have got new modems, its the Technicolor TG589vn V3

i was sent one out in the post, will post back here on Monday or Tuesday when i receive it with results and my opinion of the modem

GIMickey wrote: »
    Digiweb have got new modems, its the Technicolor TG589vn V3

i was sent one out in the post, will post back here on Monday or Tuesday when i receive it with results and my opinion of the modem

That's good!

Hopefully this one works grand with Vectoring.

hope so, i am currently using the eircom f1000, because it gives me gud speeds, i will see if this new Technicolor TG589vn V3 gives the same results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

What happened with the AVM Fritz?

• Advertisement

Existing customers still have the fritz box. Tech support just told me that a new batch of modems arrived.

I do not know if they are permanent.

Regarding the fritz box, the speed was terrible since version 6.03 and have failed to fix it on the next to iterations. 6.05 is the current version and it only gives me half what my line can hold (40mb).

With the eircom F1000 I am getting 77 mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

GIMickey wrote: »
    hope so, i am currently using the eircom f1000, because it gives me gud speeds, i will see if this new Technicolor TG589vn V3 gives the same results

dont expect much, magnet use the same modems, they are the cheapest of cheap most locked down heaps of SH*T on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I have to say the ZyXel/Eircom F1000 has been really good so far for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

In fairness, the F1000 isn't a bad modem, the wifi range seems to be the major technical issue. I found it poor to middling compared to my previous Linksys.

I won't mention the 'unappreciated' Eircom remote login as another issue :p

OcocO wrote: »
    That's a pretty decent raise in SNR - it should translate into a better profile (although perhaps only rate adaptive, which, for my line, has been great) assuming that there's no basis to that "Eircom's locked your line speed" dubiousness. You could push for 60/20 anyway.

Fantastic increase in ping as you say :). I couldn't be absolutely certain that vectoring is enabled on your line as the recent g.INP implementation also boosted people's stats but I would guess that it has. Vodafone have access to the database of which cabs have vectoring active and which don't - last I checked with them though, the database was far from fully populated. Give them a ring again and ask them to check it if you're sufficiently curious.

well after the 5th time trying to get my profile changed to a rate adaptive one, a agent at vodafone clearly said hes trying to put me on the highest profile for my cab that was 70/20 so it appears that my cab in drogheda has not had vectoring enabled yet and i will be stuck with 50/15 for the time being

a friend on the next cab up the road from me has eircom and evision, hes on a 40/15 profile and his stats say the attainable is 88mb down and 24mb up with a SNR of 20+ if i remember right, could his be enabled?

dazdrog wrote: »
    a friend on the next cab up the road from me has eircom and evision, hes on a 40/15 profile and his stats say the attainable is 88mb down and 24mb up with a SNR of 20+ if i remember right, could his be enabled?

Not necessarily, but it could be. Attains can go over 70 without vectoring, just not the profiles.

Not necessarily, but it could be. Attains can go over 70 without vectoring, just not the profiles.

i see, thanks. ill be keeping a eye on my stats over the coming weeks and see if anything changes

wonder how many cabinets in drogheda are 100mb enabled, it says on the eircom wholesale website that 16290 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, before vectoring was enabled, my parents were getting attainables of over 100mb/s !!

They are literally 10 meters from the cab :D

What's the login for the Eircom Fibre modem?

I've to call in to one of my elderly neighbours and she wants me to have a look for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What's the login for the Eircom Fibre modem?

I've to call in to one of my elderly neighbours and she wants me to have a look for her.
    Whatever it is it shouldn't be left in the factory state. Make sure you set your own password on it before you leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Other details are on the modem.

Is this what you are looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

airuser wrote: »

Other details are on the modem.

Is this what you are looking for

Login is admin
    Default password is on modem

Hope this helps

Thank you all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

dazdrog wrote: »
    well after the 5th time trying to get my profile changed to a rate adaptive one, a agent at vodafone clearly said hes trying to put me on the highest profile for my cab that was 70/20 so it appears that my cab in drogheda has not had vectoring enabled yet and i will be stuck with 50/15 for the time being

yes it can... with 88mb/24mb attainables 70mb/20mb would be max stable profile

possibly even 80mb/20mb might be possible

if they cannot push the speed up because the profilesa are not available get the agent to email eircom wholesale with a manual prequal request to get the line stressed tested and new profiles added based on test results

manual prequal tests usually take 72-96 hours to complete

all cabs are vectoring enabled now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

if they cannot push the speed up because the profilesa are not available get the agent to email eircom wholesale with a manual prequal request to get the line stressed tested and new profiles added based on test results

Thanks, I'd missed this reply from dazrog. Very interesting that you say that all cabs are vectoring enabled now - I hope you won't be offended if I enquire as to your sources?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'd missed this reply from dazrog. Very interesting that you say that all cabs are vectoring enabled now - I hope you won't be offended if I enquire as to your sources?

the vectoring rollout was completed last month. according to eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

Thanks, but could you provide a link to the news or report if you heard it from an Eircom engineer (for example). Good tip re. having the agent email eircom wholesale with a manual prequel request btw.

Thanks, but could you provide a link to the news or report if you heard it from an Eircom engineer (for example). Good tip re. having the agent email eircom wholesale with a manual prequel request btw.

vectoring is merely a software update rolled out on all cabs this was deployed starting in march and finished in may. before march there were a few cabs in ballyboden and drogheda that were used as test beds to allow eircom wholesale figure out the best settings to use.

when the cabs are installed they are configured by eircom wholesale with vectoring switched on & tested before any customers are connected to the new cabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

manual prequal tests usually take 72-96 hours to complete

Vectoring definitely not enabled on my cab. SNR is unchanged since I got connected last December. My attainable download rate has fallen from 88 to 48, attainable upload has remained largely unchanged.

jca wrote: »
    Vectoring definitely not enabled on my cab. SNR is unchanged since I got connected last December. My attainable download rate has fallen from 88 to 48, attainable upload has remained largely unchanged.

a drop in downstream attainables like that would indicate an earth or short fault on your line rather than a vectoring issue

call into tech support and get them to test your line for earth or short faults... call using a mobile so the line is free for testing

• Advertisement

a drop in downstream attainables like that would indicate an earth or short fault on your line rather than a vectoring issue

call into tech support and get them to test your line for earth or short faults... call using a mobile so the line is free for testing

I'll give them a shout on Monday. I hope I don't get a "have you a connection?" Genius. I've tried several times to get them to listen to me but all I get is, "you have a connection what's your problem"? I have never been happy with the line from the day it was installed as a pots. It always was a bit crackly. In fairness since the fibre install voice quality is the best its ever been so I can tentatively say the fault lies beyond the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

My cabinet is still not enabled for vectoring (cabinet live since december). I tried to find out why without success.
    My provider - vodafone (specially 1 level support) does not give a sh1t about this,

domeld wrote: »
    My cabinet is still not enabled for vectoring (cabinet live since december). I tried to find out why without success.
    My provider - vodafone (specially 1 level support) does not give a sh1t about this,

Most of the "support" gurus don't even know what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

jca wrote: »
    Most of the "support" gurus don't even know what it is.

The point is they don't care about customer as long broadband is working they don't know anything, any question regarding vectoring end up with 'i don't know or eircom does not give us any informations'

The point is they don't care about customer as long broadband is working they don't know anything, any question regarding vectoring end up with 'i don't know or eircom does not give us any informations'

No point in changing to eircom because they are just as bad.

It's been mentioned several times already. Vectoring is not completely rolled out, as quite a number of cabinets will require system level vectoring. My information is that it will be q3/q4 before these cabinets have vectoring enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Really depends on what questions your asking, regarding vectoring. If your cabinet is enabled for vectoring, your provider will be able to check what profile your line can take. Its only when vectoring is enabled will anyone know what speed each individual line can support. If your looking for when your cabinet will have vectoring enabled, support find out when its enabled. When vectoring is turned on at your cabinet, time frames vary greatly between each site to allow for want of a better word things to settle. This allows providers to establish what profile your line can can sustain. In reality the progress they have made in terms of fibre to the cabinet and vectoring has been phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Don't think so. Even people extremely close to my cab are showing as 50Mbit max speed on the line checker.
    It's been mentioned several times already. Vectoring is not completely rolled out, as quite a number of cabinets will require system level vectoring. My information is that it will be q3/q4 before these cabinets have vectoring enabled.

This makes an awful lot of sense.

Don't think so. Even people extremely close to my cab are showing as 50Mbit max speed on the line checker.

If they're real close they should be seeing 70Mb even before vectoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If they're real close they should be seeing 70Mb even before vectoring.

Yep, I don't really understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

It would be interesting if people posted the before and after speeds so we could establish an average increase and include an estimate of distance to cabinet...

It should also be noted in built up areas where more than one cabinet is required, there's no guarantee you are connected to the nearest...
    My nearest cabinet is 30 meters away... yet I'm connected to a cabinet 175 meters away.... still pretty good but not ideal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

In Dundalk. Just wondering has my local cabinet got vectoring enabled? Downstream SNR margin is now 22.8 dB. Up from around 17 before this.

Ping is also now 10ms. Used to be 20+. Currently on the up to 50 meg package. Actual download speed is 48. Do Eircom increase your profile themselves once vectoring is live or do you need to ring them?

313672.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    In Dundalk. Just wondering has my local cabinet got vectoring enabled? Downstream SNR margin is now 22.8 dB. Up from around 17 before this.

Ping is also now 10ms. Used to be 20+. Currently on the up to 50 meg package. Actual download speed is 48. Do Eircom increase your profile themselves once vectoring is live or do you need to ring them?

313672.jpg

Yup you've vectoring enabled. Give them a ring and they should be able to bump your speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Is it possible that bandwidth can reduce after vectoring? Used to get around 25+Mbps now its only synced at 20.

Is it possible that bandwidth can reduce after vectoring? Used to get around 25+Mbps now its only synced at 20.

There can be teething issues, especially with upstream syncs. Call your provider.

My stats have gone to the dogs altogether. It took me a week of phone calls to get Eircom to put me back on an adaptive profile after I cancelled eVision. When I eventually got a decent agent he said the best profile he could put me on was 50/15 I told him that before eVision I was on 50/20. I asked him to check the line for faults as my attainable rates are in steady decline since being connected. He said the line was fine.... Tonight snr is 8.8/8.6 ul/dl, ATT 19.7/16.8. Attainable speed 16.23/44.74. The 44 download is almost exactly half the value I was getting last December. What do I do next guys? At this rate I might as well be on sky's €10 DSL rather than paying Eircom €50 for an ever decreasing service.

jca,

If you were the first or one of the first connected to your cabinet you would have seen excellent stats. Then the stats naturally decline as more people get connected as interference / noise increases. Vectoring should cancel out this noise, if it has been turned on, on your cabinet. I believe possibly 33% of cabinets aren't vectored yet. So you may get your speed back when your cabinet is vectored.

50/15 is still a good connection though! My brother had 50/20 and he also lost a few m/bit upload speed recently. He doesn't seem too bothered.

jca,

If you were the first or one of the first connected to your cabinet you would have seen excellent stats. Then the stats naturally decline as more people get connected as interference / noise increases. Vectoring should cancel out this noise, if it has been turned on, on your cabinet. I believe possibly 33% of cabinets aren't vectored yet. So you may get your speed back when your cabinet is vectored.

50/15 is still a good connection though! My brother had 50/20 and he also lost a few m/bit upload speed recently. He doesn't seem too bothered.

Yea you're right I'm just nitpicking really. I don't think vectoring has been turned on yet. My cabinet is one that had the modular extension put on top before the vdsl cab was landed. It will be interesting to see what happens when vectoring is turned on later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I cannot see my green cab anywhere but think its in the eircom hut about 500 metres as the crow flies and the line checker says it should take 100meg but you cannot order until the 23rd of July. Any idea why I can get 100meg (hypothetically ) with that distance and my brother can only take 70meg with 50metres from his cab, is this to do with vectoring? Again neither cab is currently active, both have a go live date of the 23rd

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I cannot see my green cab anywhere but think its in the eircom hut about 500 metres as the crow flies and the line checker says it should take 100meg but you cannot order until the 23rd of July. Any idea why I can get 100meg (hypothetically ) with that distance and my brother can only take 70meg with 50metres from his cab, is this to do with vectoring? Again neither cab is currently active, both have a go live date of the 23rd

Eircom hut = Exchange?

Exchange VDSL isnt released yet though. Have you checked the map?
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Advertisement