Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    In Dundalk. Just wondering has my local cabinet got vectoring enabled? Downstream SNR margin is now 22.8 dB. Up from around 17 before this.

Ping is also now 10ms. Used to be 20+. Currently on the up to 50 meg package. Actual download speed is 48. Do Eircom increase your profile themselves once vectoring is live or do you need to ring them?

313672.jpg

Rang Eircom tech support. Agent initially said my line was capable of up to 100 Meg. Then he put me on hold & came back and said that the profile couldn't be raised as the last engineer's test on the line indicated I was on the highest profile possible. Do tech support raise your profile on request or is it up to Eircom themselves to do it if they want to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm very surprised at how badly the Vectoring rollout is going...

But then again it is Eircom.

Really thought it'd be a simple switch on and every enjoys faster speeds.

But instead some people are Vectored and others have to wait ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I'm very surprised at how badly the Vectoring rollout is going...

But then again it is Eircom.

Really thought it'd be a simple switch on and every enjoys faster speeds.

But instead some people are Vectored and others have to wait ages.

The cabinet based vectoring roll-out is practically complete. You are probably waiting for the node level Vectoring solution. It hasn't been launched in any market yet. Eircom are actually leading the way and will be first provider in Europe to have it when it launches at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1 Vectoring has been very successful so far. Most people who haven't seen a boost have had it from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Steviemak wrote: »
    The cabinet based vectoring roll-out is practically complete. You are probably waiting for the node level Vectoring solution. It hasn't been launched in any market yet. Eircom are actually leading the way and will be first provider in Europe to have it when it launches at the end of the year.
    i dont think so, my cabinet is set to max 50Mbit no matter what address i stick in even on houses right beside the cabinet, but then again that could be the exception of course.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

I have done exactly the same near me. There are 2 cabinets with in 500m and believe are not the 3 friends numbers we have inputted and have 3 different speed The nearest house only 50m has a speed of 50M. And the other two are between 300Mand 400m and the 100M and 70M.

The distances are straight line.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i dont think so, my cabinet is set to max 50Mbit no matter what address i stick in even on houses right beside the cabinet, but then again that could be the exception of course.

That's because you're using adresses and its guessing, very roughly. Use ph numbers.

airuser wrote: »
    I have done exactly the same near me. There are 2 cabinets with in 500m and believe are not the 3 friends numbers we have inputted and have 3 different speed The nearest house only 50m has a speed of 50M. And the other two are between 300Mand 400m and the 100M and 70M.

The distances are straight line.

Don't trust that the cable paths are what you think they are. Also the nearest house could have an alarm or a dud phone screwing the prequal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Agreed about the path , my home is the closest, have no alarm. Eircom has replaced my Master Socket and the engineer did confirm my speed test

The two other houses have been built within the last 10 years. Neither have alarms fitted.

Anyway speed is never what we expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Rang Eircom tech support. Agent initially said my line was capable of up to 100 Meg. Then he put me on hold & came back and said that the profile couldn't be raised as the last engineer's test on the line indicated I was on the highest profile possible. Do tech support raise your profile on request or is it up to Eircom themselves to do it if they want to?

call back and ask for a manual prequal test to be run on your line.. it takes about 72/96 hours to complete after that the extra vectoring profiles get added and the speed increased

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I am actually connected to a Vectoring Enabled cabinet, very happy with my 100Mb.

A lot of people seem to have been disappointed with the way Eircom were going I was just asking based on that.

Apologies :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

The attainable on my parents line has gone from 89 pre vectoring to 69 post, theyre only on the 50 meg package though. I would of imagined it should have increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

jimmad wrote: »
    The attainable on my parents line has gone from 89 pre vectoring to 69 post, theyre only on the 50 meg package though. I would of imagined it should have increased.
    the same thing happened for me ~85->68, pretty sure vectoring isint enabled just that INS or whatever its called as the pings are well down. My attainable upload is 18-19 but it synchs at just over 20.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

If theres a fault on your line vectoring can make it worse.

As above though your attainables may well drop over time as more people upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

On the cabinets that need system level vectoring only G.INP was implanted and this can result in lower syncs and attainables but better pings. Should get a nice bump in a few months when they implement vectoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

On the cabinets that need system level vectoring only G.INP was implanted and this can result in lower syncs and attainables but better pings. Should get a nice bump in a few months when they implement vectoring.

It looks like that's what happened with my cab. It definitely isn't vectored according to eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

jca wrote: »
    It looks like that's what happened with my cab. It definitely isn't vectored according to eircom.

I'm the same attainable when from 74 down to 58 during the g.inp update.

Pings are seriously low down from >30 to <10ms.

I'm on a cab in a built up residential area in church field in cork.

Not sure why I didn't get vectored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

call back and ask for a manual prequal test to be run on your line.. it takes about 72/96 hours to complete after that the extra vectoring profiles get added and the speed increased

Rang them back. Agent said he couldn't do this, but then said that such tests were run routinely every 2/3 weeks and if the line could handle it, the profile would be raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Right, rang Vodafone and got the usual spiel. Anyway here are our stats, according to Eircom the best our line can get is 30mb. Thing is, before Vectoring we were getting the same if not a slightly better speed (25mb). Does anything look strange with our stats?

2qxyk5i.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Right, rang Vodafone and got the usual spiel. Anyway here are our stats, according to Eircom the best our line can get is 30mb. Thing is, before Vectoring we were getting the same if not a slightly better speed (25mb). Does anything look strange with our stats?

2qxyk5i.png

I read previously (from another poster) that Vodafone won't raise the profile if it will make your SNR drop below 9dB. Yours is right on the limit so I'd say that's the max speed you'd be getting. It's possible that once more VDSL lines go active in the cabinet, the noise increases (even with vectoring) and your SNR drops due to this increase in noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

has this vectoring died a death and is it only for those sitting on top of a cabinet, and it just reduces ping speeds for the rest of us. This was due to finish in March and its now August.!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

swoofer wrote: »
    has this vectoring died a death and is it only for those sitting on top of a cabinet, and it just reduces ping speeds for the rest of us. This was due to finish in March and its now August.!!

No, Vectoring is working superbly well for most people.

As always on forums, those who it works well for you never hear from, you only hear from the minority who have issues.

There are some cabinets where Vectoring hasn't been enabled (and may never be!) due to issues which make it unsuitable for vectoring.

had vectoring enabled last night on eircom line, was attainable for 71/21 now 101/23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What would make a cabinet unsuitable for vectoring?

No sign for me yet but I'm happy enough with what I have, tis' sure better than sky DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I just got a significant boost in SNR this morning, had lower pings since April but SNR remained the same at 14, now it's reporting 27 in the last hour (Loughrea).

VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 71.678 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 71.679 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 12.4 dB 27.3 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: -15.6 dBm 13.3 dBm
    Receive Power: -25.4 dBm 3.0 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 30.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 9.7 dB 10.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 26.977 Mbps 132.356 Mbps

Previous attainable was 91/26

Mine got vectored this morning, attainable d/l has jumped from 44meg to 84meg. SNR from 9 to 20. I'm in Enniscorthy about 550-600m from the cabinet. What happens next? Will Eircom raise my profile or do I have to ring them? I'm on a 50/15 at the moment.

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 3 hours: 17 minutes
    Line Rate: 15.359 Mbps 50.173 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 15.360 Mbps 50.174 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 16.6 dB 20.8 dB
    Transmit Power: 1.9 dBm 12.8 dBm
    Receive Power: -17.4 dBm -3.4 dBm
    Actual INP: 30.0 symbols 30.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 19.3 dB 16.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 26.097 Mbps 84.796 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 5.0 26.7 40.2 N/A 14.1 34.6 53.4
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.0 25.9 39.2 N/A 13.8 34.3 53.4
    SNR Margin(dB): 16.7 16.6 16.6 N/A 20.7 20.7 20.9
    Transmit Power(dBm):-12.8 - 3.4 0.2 N/A 10.3 7.9 3.6

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

jimmad wrote: »
    had vectoring enabled last night on eircom line, was attainable for 71/21 now 101/23
    @jimmad
    Hi jimmad any chance you could post stats. Which cab are you on?

jca wrote: »
    Mine got vectored this morning, attainable d/l has jumped from 44meg to 84meg. SNR from 9 to 20. I'm in Enniscorthy about 550-600m from the cabinet. What happens next? Will Eircom raise my profile or do I have to ring them? I'm on a 50/15 at the moment.

When the engineers in eircom wholesale sign off on the vectoring you'll be bumped up. Give it a few days.

ED E wrote: »
    When the engineers in eircom wholesale sign off on the vectoring you'll be bumped up. Give it a few days.

That's great thanks ED E. Some leap from 0.6 with Sky. ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

For 650 to 700m from the cabinet I think this is pretty impressive considering it's just a twisted copper pair. :

20.679 Mbps 70.352 Mbps

PeadarB wrote: »
    @jimmad
    Hi jimmad any chance you could post stats. Which cab are you on?

It's our the ramelton road, just at thorndale, the digiweb line i have still doesnt pick anything up regarding vectoring.

Its dropped off alot since I last looked to 80/20 attainable

VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   1 day: 4 hours: 28 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     20.477 Mbps       51.197 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     20.478 Mbps       51.198 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:        9.6 dB           24.4 dB
                Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
              Transmit Power:      - 4.8 dBm          14.3 dBm
               Receive Power:      -20.8 dBm          -2.3 dBm
                  Actual INP:       29.0 symbols      29.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       16.0 dB           16.6 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     22.408 Mbps       80.768 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  3.8    21.9    32.7     N/A    11.8    28.3    44.2   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  3.8    21.2    31.5     N/A    14.7    28.1    44.2   
            SNR Margin(dB): 10.6     9.7     9.5     N/A    24.6    24.6    24.6   
       Transmit Power(dBm):-17.7   - 8.5   - 7.6     N/A    12.3     7.8     6.2   

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I rang Eircom to enquire about having my profile changed to 100mb since it seems system level vectoring is active now, was told I'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for the Eircom system to update to allow them to do it, does it really take that long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I rang Eircom to enquire about having my profile changed to 100mb since it seems system level vectoring is active now, was told I'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for the Eircom system to update to allow them to do it, does it really take that long?

It's possible it will take some time alright! There is an APQ file (advanced prequal file) that I think may be updated once per month (someone can correct me on this).

The agent may have been just trying to buy a little time also ;)

I guess if Eircom were really well organised, they would have scheduled an update to the APQ files relevant to each cab that has been vectored!

We'll get there in the end anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Praetorian wrote: »
    There is an APQ file (advanced prequal file) that I think may be updated once per month
    There is a new APQ file every week, with additional lines that will be available for order within 28 days. Not sure how often lines are retested for line characteristics, probably soon enough after vectoring though. It is up to the retail isp to up the profile (up to max allowed in the APQ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Can someone tell me whether I'm vectored or not? My profile is 50/20 -what one should I ask for -maybe 80/20?

Link Uptime: 4 days: 8 hours: 9 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.476 Mbps 51.197 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.477 Mbps 51.198 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 11.5 dB 25.3 dB
    Transmit Power: - 7.6 dBm 12.8 dBm
    Receive Power: -22.4 dBm -3.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 14.7 dB 16.0 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 24.561 Mbps 90.940 Mbps
    Line Attenuation(dB): 3.7 18.9 28.0 N/A 11.0 25.3 39.2
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 3.7 18.1 26.7 N/A 12.5 25.1 39.1
    SNR Margin(dB): 11.8 11.5 11.4 N/A 25.3 25.3 25.3
    Transmit Power(dBm):-20.0 -10.7 -11.1 N/A 9.0 8.0 6.6

• Advertisement

Yep, go to 80_20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Can anyone confirm that this new burst of vectoring is the system level update?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

KOR101 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me whether I'm vectored or not? My profile is 50/20 -what one should I ask for -maybe 80/20?

Link Uptime: 4 days: 8 hours: 9 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.476 Mbps 51.197 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.477 Mbps 51.198 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 11.5 dB 25.3 dB
    Transmit Power: - 7.6 dBm 12.8 dBm
    Receive Power: -22.4 dBm -3.3 dBm
    Total Attenuation: 14.7 dB 16.0 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 24.561 Mbps 90.940 Mbps
    Line Attenuation(dB): 3.7 18.9 28.0 N/A 11.0 25.3 39.2
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 3.7 18.1 26.7 N/A 12.5 25.1 39.1
    SNR Margin(dB): 11.8 11.5 11.4 N/A 25.3 25.3 25.3
    Transmit Power(dBm):-20.0 -10.7 -11.1 N/A 9.0 8.0 6.6

did you get changed. What problems have you encountered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

jd wrote: »
    There is a new APQ file every week, with additional lines that will be available for order within 28 days. Not sure how often lines are retested for line characteristics, probably soon enough after vectoring though. It is up to the retail isp to up the profile (up to max allowed in the APQ).

APQ according to vodafone goes thru start of each month.

after being on the phone to my isp vodafone and also ringing up eircom inquiring about a new connection it appears eircom can offer me 70/20 on the same line, while vodafone still claim eircom have the line locked to 50/15

not sure really what to think as eircom have been drooping flyers in the estate the last 2 months saying 100mb is available. suppose ill give it till the first and give them a call back, if they still claim its locked ill freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

sparky63 wrote: »
    did you get changed. What problems have you encountered.
    Yes, it just took a call to Eircom technical support. The guy's response was perfect, and it was done within a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

dazdrog wrote: »
    APQ according to vodafone goes thru start of each month.

after being on the phone to my isp vodafone and also ringing up eircom inquiring about a new connection it appears eircom can offer me 70/20 on the same line, while vodafone still claim eircom have the line locked to 50/15

not sure really what to think as eircom have been drooping flyers in the estate the last 2 months saying 100mb is available. suppose ill give it till the first and give them a call back, if they still claim its locked ill freak.

There is a new APQ file available from eircom wholesale every week, perhaps VOD only update their own systems every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

jd wrote: »
    There is a new APQ file available from eircom wholesale every week, perhaps VOD only update their own systems every month.

Just to muddy the waters even further, I was on the phone to a VF 2nd level tech support who told me that the APQ (or pre-quals as I've been calling them) happen bi-monthly - i.e. twice a month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

OcocO wrote: »
    Just to muddy the waters even further, I was on the phone to a VF 2nd level tech support who told me that the APQ (or pre-quals as I've been calling them) happen bi-monthly - i.e. twice a month :D

Bi-Monthly actually means every 2 months, the Pre-qual for eircom lines happens on the first Tuesday of every month as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Stupid question, I appear to be on a 50Mb profile - I think. Can I ask to be upgraded to 70?

Link Uptime: 5 days: 16 hours: 24 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 51.197 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 51.198 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 12.0 dB 18.1 dB
    Transmit Power: - 1.7 dBm 12.4 dBm
    Receive Power: -19.6 dBm -9.0 dBm
    Total Attenuation: 17.9 dB 21.4 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 26.775 Mbps 73.772 Mbps

bbpete wrote: »
    Bi-Monthly actually means every 2 months, the Pre-qual for eircom lines happens on the first Tuesday of every month as far as I am aware.

Bi-monthly is ambiguous and means both twice a month, and once every 2 months.

Vectoring when live on my cabinet a few weeks ago, rang Vodafone today and they were able to up me to a 70/20 profile up from 50/20.

3713310234.png

Cork981 wrote: »
    Vectoring when live on my cabinet a few weeks ago, rang Vodafone today and they were able to up me to a 70/20 profile up from 50/20.

3713310234.png

How do you know when Vectoring is enabled?

testicle wrote: »
    How do you know when Vectoring is enabled?

You'll see a large jump in your SNR.

Looking at your previous post you've got a relatively high SNR and a long enough line so odds are you've already had vectoring enabled.

Your line should also be well able to take a 70/20 profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

3718567809.png

What's been going on with fibre in Cork these last few evenings?

Usually I get a reliable 50 down and 15 up, but at random intervals in the evening I'll notice that HD streams are buffering and I can see the above result on any speedtest servers outside of Cork (Cork server is at full speed at all times). Same result on different computers (wired and wireless) even after rebooting the router. Then mysteriously fixed an hour or two later. Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

Hi I have the same problem, I wish my speeds were as good as yours, I normally get a solid 18Mb on fibre but tonight it's 1.96 on a Dublin server. I am in Limerick

• Advertisement
Advertisement