Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

3718567809.png

What's been going on with fibre in Cork these last few evenings?

Usually I get a reliable 50 down and 15 up, but at random intervals in the evening I'll notice that HD streams are buffering and I can see the above result on any speedtest servers outside of Cork (Cork server is at full speed at all times). Same result on different computers (wired and wireless) even after rebooting the router. Then mysteriously fixed an hour or two later. Ideas?

I'm not on fibre but I can say this past few nights with our Vodafone DSL it's been horrible pings are up and speeds are down to anywhere between 0.3-4 Mb/s it's usually at 14.5 Mb/s I'm based in Meath waiting for fibre to launch next month other people on Vodafone that I know also having the same problems .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

jay93 wrote: »
    I'm not on fibre but I can say this past few nights with our Vodafone DSL it's been horrible pings are up and speeds are down to anywhere between 0.3-4 Mb/s it's usually at 14.5 Mb/s I'm based in Meath waiting for fibre to launch next month other people on Vodafone that I know also having the same problems .

And it's back to normal speeds again this morning.

I'm suspecting a backhaul issue with Vodafone as I'm getting fine speeds with a local speedtest server but horrible speeds with more remote servers. Certain sites will connect fine (eg iTunes download at pretty much full speed) but others then are affected (eg HD Youtube streaming last night).

Hope they get it sorted soon, but my contract is up so I have the option of switching to Eircom; is anyone on Eircom seeing this kind of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm not noticing that on eircom.

The only issue I have at the moment is with a neighbour using a digisender (connects TV to Sky box) and it's absolutely swamping my WiFi across loads of channels.

I thought it was e-fibre going slow in the evenings but wired connections are blazingly fast.

Seems he powers up his TV system and my WiFi goes. I'm going to have to buy a 5GHz router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

And it's back to normal speeds again this morning.

I'm suspecting a backhaul issue with Vodafone as I'm getting fine speeds with a local speedtest server but horrible speeds with more remote servers. Certain sites will connect fine (eg iTunes download at pretty much full speed) but others then are affected (eg HD Youtube streaming last night).

Hope they get it sorted soon, but my contract is up so I have the option of switching to Eircom; is anyone on Eircom seeing this kind of thing?
    No problems at all with Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm not noticing that on eircom.

The only issue I have at the moment is with a neighbour using a digisender (connects TV to Sky box) and it's absolutely swamping my WiFi across loads of channels.

I thought it was e-fibre going slow in the evenings but wired connections are blazingly fast.

Seems he powers up his TV system and my WiFi goes. I'm going to have to buy a 5GHz router

Get something with 802.11ac and 3 X antenna better still with dual concurrent 2.4ghz and 5Ghz then you can pick the SSID that work best.

Naturally your devices would neeed to support 802.11ac to benefit

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

crawler wrote: »
    Naturally your devices would neeed to support 802.11ac to benefit

Well 802.11ac routers are backwards compatible with 802.11n, so you don't have to upgrade all your devices at the same time.

I bought a TP Link Archer C7 802.11ac router, but don't actually have any 802.11ac devices yet! The reason I got it is that tests show it has the best 802.11n performance of almost any router, while being cheaper then many other top 802.11n routers. The 802.11ac is the icing on top and will come in handy when I upgrade my laptop, etc. in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bk wrote: »
    Well 802.11ac routers are backwards compatible with 802.11n, so you don't have to upgrade all your devices at the same time.

I bought a TP Link Archer C7 802.11ac router, but don't actually have any 802.11ac devices yet! The reason I got it is that tests show it has the best 802.11n performance of almost any router, while being cheaper then many other top 802.11n routers. The 802.11ac is the icing on top and will come in handy when I upgrade my laptop, etc. in future.

Correct :)

Some really nice routers do two SSIDs - one for 802.11a/b/g/n and one for 802.11ac - this means that the router doesnt have to hop from one to the other :) sorry - I should have made that clear....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Vectoring enabled for me but no improvement in speeds. Think there may be something up with my line. The DS2 attenuation is higher than the DS3. DS1 is only 12dB so I would have expected some increase with vectoring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Had a quick look at the Modem last night Net Attainables gone from 80mb to 130mb i may give them a ring :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is their Vectoring rollout nearly finished now at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Is their Vectoring rollout nearly finished now at this stage?

i doubt it as my local cab aint fully vectored, ive had these stats near a year, but yet its claimed by vodafone im locked to 50/15.

10 months ago my snr was 6.0, with a sync speed of 50/20. so id say im still waiting as the jump in snr is nowhere near as large as most people get.

+ if i check a address thats right beside my cab it says the max package is 70/20 , so im doubting its fully vectored as it should show as 100/20

Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 15360
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 69532
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 23908
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

There are definitely many cabs not vectored!

dazdrog wrote: »
    i doubt it as my local cab aint fully vectored, ive had these stats near a year, but yet its claimed by vodafone im locked to 50/15.

10 months ago my snr was 6.0, with a sync speed of 50/20. so id say im still waiting as the jump in snr is nowhere near as large as most people get.

+ if i check a address thats right beside my cab it says the max package is 70/20 , so im doubting its fully vectored as it should show as 100/20

Downstream SNR (dB) 14.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.4

I'd say your cab has been vectored if your SNR has more than doubled from 6 to 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Dazdrog, do you mind me asking which cabinet you are served by? If I remember correctly, you might be on the same cabinet as some of my relations. DBC 027 I think.

Downstream SNR (dB) 14.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 14.4

Dazdrog, do you mind me asking which cabinet you are served by? If I remember correctly, you might be on the same cabinet as some of my relations. DBC 027 I think.

DBC1_046

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

DBC1_046

How do you find your cab number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

How do you find your cab number?

find it on the map here, http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ - click on your nearest cab and it will tell you its 'name'

jca wrote: »
    I'd say your cab has been vectored if your SNR has more than doubled from 6 to 14

well i wouldnt say its fully vectored, ive seen people with the same stats as mine go from a attenuation of 14.2 with snr downstream of 6 and they jumped to around 28dB

+ my cab only shows as a max of 70/20

well i wouldnt say its fully vectored, ive seen people with the same stats as mine go from a attenuation of 14.2 with snr downstream of 6 and they jumped to around 28dB

+ my cab only shows as a max of 70/20

What do you mean by fully vectored? Either it's vectored or not. In my limited knowledge of vectoring the idea is to reduce snr (crosstalk) between the cables in the cabinets. When that is done the other line values, attenuation etc will adjust in proportion to the new snr value which in your case has now improved from a very poor 6 to a quite acceptable 14. How far are you from the cabinet?

BArra wrote: »
    find it on the map here, http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ - click on your nearest cab and it will tell you its 'name'

failing that, it's usually written on it on a yellow sticker :)

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    What do you mean by fully vectored? Either it's vectored or not. In my limited knowledge of vectoring the idea is to reduce snr (crosstalk) between the cables in the cabinets. When that is done the other line values, attenuation etc will adjust in proportion to the new snr value which in your case has now improved from a very poor 6 to a quite acceptable 14. How far are you from the cabinet?

just about 600m following the cable route along the paths from my house, theres only one way the cables come into the estate, my line attenuation says otherwise tho, looked more like i was connected to DBC1_040 (thats about 1000m away) but i had a kn tech confirm i was indeed connected to DBC1_046

The cab im connected to has grown a foot overnight. Its had a extension about a foot high added to the top of it, ill get a pic on way by it again.

The cab im connected to has grown a foot overnight. Its had a extension about a foot high added to the top of it, ill get a pic on way by it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's a copper extender, its used to make room for the cables over to the fiber cab.

ED E wrote: »
    That's a copper extender, its used to make room for the cables over to the fiber cab.

No this is the vdsl cab labeled dbc1_046a and new part dbc1_046b

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That's so weird looking, is that perhaps for more lines to connect to it?

What exactly does it do?

What exactly does it do?
    thats what im guessing, theres well over 250 houses served by that one cab

What exactly does it do?
    thats what im guessing, theres well over 250 houses served by that one cab

Yeah the bit on the top is for more lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I was on 20/50, and could see attainable of 24/90 (checked many times) , so I called them and they did a manal prequal.

Witihn a couple of days, i had a new profile 20/80.

I just checked my attainables this morning, and it shows 24/99, and I have a new profile 20/90.

Is this just normal variation, or is the vectoring 'refined' over time?

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    I was on 20/50, and could see attainable of 24/90 (checked many times) , so I called them and they did a manal prequal.

I just checked my attainables this morning, and it shows 24/99, and I have a new profile 20/90.

Your on a rate adaptive profile, what that means is as your snr (signal to noise ratio) changes as the day goes on your sync speed will vary. This would be why you see changes in sync speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Okay, so is there anything else over the immediate horizon than vectoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nope

Ah ok, thats the first time Ive seen that done. Normally busy areas get a second cab. They way the cabs are wired its hard to guess how much extra capacity that'd give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Ah ok, thats the first time Ive seen that done. Normally busy areas get a second cab. They way the cabs are wired its hard to guess how much extra capacity that'd give.

They need to extend the existing. Extra space is required because they are not just running jumper cables from exchange side to distribution like has always been the case, they now need to loop it through new blocks which go to the fibre cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Its used to add an additional 200 pair copper link from the VDSL cabinet to the copper cabinet. Its called a top hat.

What I'd thought originally. Only thing though is I've seen CCP cabs with them when their counterpart VDSL cab doesnt have one, so why the need in some cases and not others, unless they're adding line cards?

It was added first to ccp cabs that didn't have the room for the vdsl splitters. Now it's being used to increase the copper link in the VDSL cab as there is no space in the VDSL cabs for an additional link. Shows that the uptake in fibre in a particular cab far exceeded their expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

What I'd thought originally. Only thing though is I've seen CCP cabs with them when their counterpart VDSL cab doesnt have one, so why the need in some cases and not others, unless they're adding line cards?

Depends on how full the cab is, some have space, others need extending. The vdsl cab is new, would be the required size, no need to extend it

• Advertisement

has to be for more lines, ive just added up roughly how many houses it covers

2 estates around 100 houses each, then two smaller ones with around 30+ each then about 10-15 houses out a country lane and a college of further education

so say near enough 300 houses served by the one cab

ive also just noticed that my line attenuation is up from 14.1 this time last year to 14.3dB now

KOR101 wrote: »

Its how vectoring works, your increase had nothing to do with contacting them. An interfering signal was detected on your line, vectoring counteracted the noise and you got an increase, vectoring will give varying results as to how it can overcome and counteract any interfering signals.

In answer to your other question regarding anything else planned, yes there are many other technologies that can and will be implemented that can increase your attainables. But in all fairness we have had a huge increase over the last couple of years and we have actually exceeded the speed at which most users require. Alas we as we are, will always want more.

has to be for more lines, ive just added up roughly how many houses it covers

2 estates around 100 houses each, then two smaller ones with around 30+ each then about 10-15 houses out a country lane and a college of further education

so say near enough 300 houses served by the one cab

ive also just noticed that my line attenuation is up from 14.1 this time last year to 14.3dB now

The original cab had a capacity for 200 links, that's why they've extended it.

I'm glad to see they have the capability of extending the VDSL cabinets though.

Back in the olden days when they were sweating assets and had no competition, they used to say things like: "sorry, there are no more ADSL ports at your exchange in the Dublin 2 area. Have you considered the benefits of dial up and the lovely noise it makes?"

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm glad to see they have the capability of extending the VDSL cabinets though.

Back in the olden days when they were sweating assets and had no competition, they used to say things like: "sorry, there are no more ADSL ports at your exchange in the Dublin 2 area. Have you considered the benefits of dial up and the lovely noise it makes?"

That still happens with VDSL. 192 usable ports, 205 lines in the area, extensions are slow to happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sparky63 wrote: »
    Its how vectoring works, your increase had nothing to do with contacting them. An interfering signal was detected on your line, vectoring counteracted the noise and you got an increase, vectoring will give varying results as to how it can overcome and counteract any interfering signals.

In answer to your other question regarding anything else planned, yes there are many other technologies that can and will be implemented that can increase your attainables. But in all fairness we have had a huge increase over the last couple of years and we have actually exceeded the speed at which most users require. Alas we as we are, will always want more.

Line attenuation wouldn't be dependent on the type of signal... It can be reported to increase if higher speeds are enabled on a line just because higher frequencies are being used and the average attenuation across the used bandwidth is higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Vectoring looks like is enabled for me now in Mullingar.
    Does anyone think VF might up me from 50/20 to 70/20 based on their insistence of >9dB upstream.
    Last year had this:
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 51197
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 12.1
    Upstream SNR (dB) 6.3

Attainable was around 82Mbps

then May had this( after INP changes )
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 51198
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 19753
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 69232
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 17571
    Downstream SNR (dB) 14.3
    Upstream SNR (dB) 8.9

and now:
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 51198
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20478
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 85192
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 22431
    Downstream SNR (dB) 23.9
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.7

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Remember every 3db is double, so 23 is pretty huge. That's definitely due for a reprofiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Remember every 3db is double, so 23 is pretty huge. That's definitely due for a reprofiling.
    cheers, ill give them a ring and see if they will update it.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

A cabinet near me goes live in Oct, would it be setup already with vectoring or would it take a while?

The Eircom phone line checker is telling me I can get upto 100mb but it's not ready for orders yet

BArra wrote: »
    A cabinet near me goes live in Oct, would it be setup already with vectoring or would it take a while?

The Eircom phone line checker is telling me I can get upto 100mb but it's not ready for orders yet

Its vectored if your prequal is 100mb (based on your number, not if its based on an address). You should go live with the full whack when it goes RFO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement