Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

Not true at all. Here are my stats:

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 46245
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20477
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 45044
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 22019
    Downstream SNR (dB) 8.8
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.4
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 15.6
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 5.5

It's unusual to get a higher line rate than the downstream attainable!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bbpete wrote: »
    It's unusual to get a higher line rate than the downstream attainable!!

That a borderline sync, its doing its very best. Profile should really be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

ED E wrote: »
    That a borderline sync, its doing its very best. Profile should really be dropped.

It's fine, it may drop out 2 or 3 times a day but I'll lose my 20Mb upload if I downgrade. Everytime I reboot, the noise margin increases to 9dB or slightly above.

Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 46086
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 45468
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 21079
    Downstream SNR (dB) 9.1
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's fine, it may drop out 2 or 3 times a day but I'll lose my 20Mb upload if I downgrade. Everytime I reboot, the noise margin increases to 9dB or slightly above.

Ridiculous, you need to downgrade your package to stabilize your line. Eircom themselves like to have a 12db margin, for good reason, it saves on customer service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Deagol

I think my stats must be almost perfect then :) Never drops, attainables vary up to 82mbps down but usually around 74.

VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 71.678 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 71.679 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 12.2 dB 9.1 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: 2.3 dBm 12.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -17.5 dBm -10.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 30.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 19.6 dB 22.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 26.295 Mbps 72.960 Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Ridiculous, you need to downgrade your package to stabilize your line. Eircom themselves like to have a 12db margin, for good reason, it saves on customer service

Jesus Christ, where does one begin dissecting the stupidity of this post:

1. Dropping out 2 or 3 times a day isn't going to kill me. I know that one of the drop-outs occurs at 4 or 5 in the morning, so I think I'll survive.

2. No-fúcking-way am I sacrificing 10Mb of my upload speed just for 2 or 3 poxy drop-outs.

3. Why the fúck would I ring customer service when:

a). I know what the problem is?
    b). I'm content with the stability of my line?

4. I'm with Vodafone and their noise margin minimum is 9dB

"Ridiculous"? Get a grip.

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 46245
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20477
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 45044
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 22019
    Downstream SNR (dB) 8.8
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.4

1. Dropping out 2 or 3 times a day isn't going to kill me. I know that one of the drop-outs occurs at 4 or 5 in the morning, so I think I'll survive.

2. No-fúcking-way am I sacrificing 10Mb of my upload speed just for 2 or 3 poxy drop-outs.

Ok, so first off, if its how you want it and you're educated about the effects, fine. Mass was a little too eager with his comment IMO.

Personally I'd want to fix it, disconnects suck. Two options:
    Request they put you on fixed rate, then you could get 43_16 which would be perfect for your line.
    Investigate whether or not your DS rates should be higher. The profiles are set as they are because typically anyone able to get 15 on the US should manage 50 on the DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Personally I'd want to fix it, disconnects suck. Two options:
    Request they put you on fixed rate, then you could get 43_16 which would be perfect for your line.

Do you mean they could setup a custom profile for your connection to be the max your line can sync at? That would be great for me

WTF, you're honestly the first person I've ever met happy with disconnects. As ED E says, they should be able to take you off rate adaptive and put you on a fixed profile all you have to do is ring tech support (well I know Eircom will do this, not sure on Voda).

Vodafone accept a 9db margin because they are greedy and ruthless, they spend extra on CS to deal with the issues this causes. It's known that they contact customers who prequal red (ie are not offered fibre in situations like they are more than 2km from the DSLAM) and promise to try to get them fibre if they sign a new contract. To avoid paying for an install they post the modem to the customer for self install. Don't for an instant think they are better because they accept a 9db margin.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Do you mean they could setup a custom profile for your connection to be the max your line can sync at? That would be great for me

Nope. There are two sets of profiles, and the fixed rates ones have more granular control. AFAIK its normally used for IPTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

bk wrote: »
    Some really interesting news about vectoring from Eircoms submission to the DECNR about the national Broadband Plan. One of the new technologies they say they currently have in development is:

This reveals a couple of important points to us:

- Vectoring has been enabled in up to 80% of cabs
    - The cabs that haven't received vectoring yet are in areas with the most demand for VDSL.
    - Eircom is working on a solution to enable vectoring on these remaining cabs

you know any more details on this? im on a extended cab and locked to 50/15 profile (vodafone claim eircom wont allow any faster on the line)

i have noticed my attainable speed has increased to 70+ from a average of 60mb. my snr is still the same tho, ive also noticed a but of work happening at the cab the last few days
    341803.PNG
    4bc5bcfc92af25053b28b0500335a8e3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

WTF, you're honestly the first person I've ever met happy with disconnects. As ED E says, they should be able to take you off rate adaptive and put you on a fixed profile all you have to do is ring tech support (well I know Eircom will do this, not sure on Voda).

Vodafone accept a 9db margin because they are greedy and ruthless, they spend extra on CS to deal with the issues this causes. It's known that they contact customers who prequal red (ie are not offered fibre in situations like they are more than 2km from the DSLAM) and promise to try to get them fibre if they sign a new contract. To avoid paying for an install they post the modem to the customer for self install. Don't for an instant think they are better because they accept a 9db margin.

Am, 9db is a perfectly fine SNR margin. I was rock solid at 6...

x2 before vectoring with magnet i had a sync rate at 50/20 with a snr of 6 and it was rock solid and NEVER disconnected

Please don't promote a 6db margin, while it may work it is not desirable. I'm not an armchair enthusiast, I work with these figures every day. Over 12 is perfect, 9-12 is iffy, under 9 is trouble.

Mass is correct.

With ADSL signalling rates you CAN sync at 4dB, but its not a good idea. If the line happens to pick up very little RFI then it wont drop, but most people wont be so lucky. Target is 6db to be reasonably stable, 8dB required to be resistant to interference at all.

With the higher rates of VDSL the target was raised to 9dB by Huawei. They're telecoms engineers, they know what they're at. 9 is the minimum to be reasonably robust and can still lead to chunks of error correction.

YMMV with all such tech, but to suggest 6dB on vdsl is generally viable is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Please don't promote a 6db margin, while it may work it is not desirable. I'm not an armchair enthusiast, I work with these figures every day. Over 12 is perfect, 9-12 is iffy, under 9 is trouble.

9-12 is not iffy.

9-12 is not iffy.

Leaves no room for variations in line conditions, over 12 is accepted as being prefect and will not encounter problems

bk wrote: »
    Some really interesting news about vectoring from Eircoms submission to the DECNR about the national Broadband Plan. One of the new technologies they say they currently have in development is:

This reveals a couple of important points to us:

- Vectoring has been enabled in up to 80% of cabs
    - The cabs that haven't received vectoring yet are in areas with the most demand for VDSL.
    - Eircom is working on a solution to enable vectoring on these remaining cabs

any word on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Leaves no room for variations in line conditions, over 12 is accepted as being prefect and will not encounter problems
    I agree, assuming you strictly mean S/N ratio (SNR), though I don't work in the industry.

This is a technical and a kinda crummy explanation but anyway: I don't know much about the VDSL2 standard and the modulation used but in the case of ADSL/G.dmt, each "channel" or bin requires a minimum of 6dB SNR to carry 2 bits of information per symbol. I think any given bin can carry an extra bit per 3dB SNR upto a ceiling of what, 15 bits per symbol per bin I think? I forget the number. ADSL2 and 2+ apparently improve on that by also introducing channels with a minimum of just 3dB SNR carriying a single bit per symbol.

What it means is that 9dB SNR with ADSL2 or ADSL2+ is incomparable with the same reported SNR on ADSL. Introducing.... the Signal Margin.

Signal Margin is a term that can be applied across the board to different types of DSL and still be relevant. Most operators seem to aim for a signal margin of 6dB, certainly they do in Ireland. The margin is the strength of the signal above the minimum SNR needed for whatever kind of signal is being sent, be it ADSL or ADSL2 etc. So there is a "margin" for electromagnetic interference that is brief or sporadic, be it a lawnmower engine or operating a thermostat or whatnot. This means if the SNR decreases briefly, the line won't cut out and have to retrain immediately.

In a nutshell, SNR is not the same as signal margin. For VDSL2, if the minimum SNR is 6dB to avoid lost data, then allowing for a margin, the ideal SNR would be over 12dB. As phone lines are much shorter with VDSL and allows for fewer chances of interference between the customer and the DSLAM, maybe it's okay to have an SNR of 9dB. If the mimumum SNR is 6dB and the line goes below that, then the connection will drop.

The stats posted by Dazdrog said SNR, not signal margin. It makes a huge difference. Also, the higher data rates involved have no bearing per se on the minimum required SNR is. That is purely a function of the modulation, error correction used, the maximum power available to send the transmission and the total bandwidth available and this all comes from the Shannon-Hartley theorem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pomwombat

Hi all,

I'm interloping from the UK again - original post was #554 back on page 37 (I can't post a link).

We've now had G.INP deployed across our Huawei DSLAMs (but not the ECI ones) but we still haven't rolled out vectoring :(

Anyway, I was checking out the recent additions to this thread, and thought I'd comment on this kind of thing:
    With the higher rates of VDSL the target was raised to 9dB by Huawei. They're telecoms engineers, they know what they're at. 9 is the minimum to be reasonably robust and can still lead to chunks of error correction.

YMMV with all such tech, but to suggest 6dB on vdsl is generally viable is silly.

I'm not picking on mass_debater or ED E particularly, as a few of you expressed the same opinion.

I'm intrigued about this, because in the UK, our default profile comes with a 6dB target margin. And the most recent iterations of DLM, notably used in FTTC, don't make adjustments to the margin either.

I haven't found our FTTC behaviour to be particularly unstable either - I've had FTTC on 3 different lines over the course of the last 4 years, and never have any disconnections that weren't caused deliberately. The line stays up for months on end.

Note too that the default line profile here, until recently, has also come with FEC and interleaving protection turned off. BT's DLM only tends to turn on FEC and interleaving after evidence of errors on the line.

In the UK, we have certainly found that crosstalk increases as take-up rises. And we have found that error rates have increased as a consequence; this has had a tendency to get DLM to intervene.

Our recent deployment of G.INP appears to have changed behaviour somewhat; it now seems to be turned on by default, even on stable lines - but it does not consume overhead, in the same way that old-style FEC and interleaving would.

I have seen a graph from BT showing the improvement in error rates that have come about from G.INP. It showed a change from around 10% of lines being error-free to around 60% of lines.

But the 6dB margin remains ... and that is worth between 3Mbps and 11Mbps to each line, compared with 9dB.

Is there anything about Eircom's access network that means 9dB is better over there, while 6dB is used here? Is more of the line distributed overhead, for example?

• Advertisement

pomwombat wrote: »
    ...DLM...
    ...DLM...
    ....DLM...

Is there anything about Eircom's access network that means 9dB is better over there, while 6dB is used here? Is more of the line distributed overhead, for example?

DLM ;)

On your side of the (smaller) pond a trouble line scales itself back. So let it target low and if theres a problem, itll ease off. Here, set it low and if theres a minor problem it'll re-link every 30 seconds until somebody calls support. DLM isnt a thing here at all.

UPDATE:

Just to add:
    BT can increase your downlink target SNR margin to 18 dB
    When your broadband service is first switched on, the target SNR margin is set by the BT exchange equipment at 6 dB. On a good line, BT generally considers that a 6 dB SNR margin is appropriate to maintain a connection without a significant number of drops or errors. The corresponding target margin for TalkTalk equipment is 9 dB.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Mass is correct.

With ADSL signalling rates you CAN sync at 4dB, but its not a good idea. If the line happens to pick up very little RFI then it wont drop, but most people wont be so lucky. Target is 6db to be reasonably stable, 8dB required to be resistant to interference at all.

Sync at 4db wtf, i have yet to see a sync hold at that level, honestly. If a line is syncing at 4db it has major issues with interference or has a line fault which would be interfering with the circuit. 8db to be resistant to interference at all, please dont make statements like that. If you understand what RFI is, it can totally destroy a broadband signal, be that ADSL or VDSL even with the highest snr. Anyone in the business will tell you that high RFI can destroy the highest SNR. I have seen whole estates wiped out by RFI, adsl lines in particular with high snr figures well above 8db.To be honest if you understood what SNR is, you would not have made your statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sparky63 wrote: »
    Sync at 4db wtf, i have yet to see a sync hold at that level, honestly. If a line is syncing at 4db it has major issues with interference or has a line fault which would be interfering with the circuit. 8db to be resistant to interference at all, please dont make statements like that. If you understand what RFI is, it can totally destroy a broadband signal, be that ADSL or VDSL even with the highest snr. Anyone in the business will tell you that high RFI can destroy the highest SNR. I have seen whole estates wiped out by RFI, adsl lines in particular with high snr figures well above 8db.To be honest if you understood what SNR is, you would not have made your statements.
    Hold your horses there! http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/noise_margin-snr-snrm.html

I suggest you read the difference between SNR and SNR margin. And ED E works in industry, as a source of insider information and commentary, there are not many posters who are as well-informed...

"I have seen whole estates wiped out by RFI, adsl lines in particular with high snr figures well above 8db"... This makes no sense whatsoever, I think everyone here can agree that the higher the SNR/SNRM, the better or more stable the line.

And finally, I have a friend using a trusty Netopia 2247 (once it's had some of the later firmware releases) and maintain his 3072/384 connection on a line that starts off at 6dB margin, is currently at 4dB margin and uptime is over 2 weeks. It's not ideal but if there are no sources of added RFI then the likes of 4dB can hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

speaking from experience, I have seen long lines sync at 4 and 5 dB snrm, it's not ideal, but out in the sticks, with good copper and very little RFI, you can get some lines that hold steady for days, or weeks at that. The older modems (Netopia, & the silver eircom modems ) seem very robust at holding DSL at lower snrm (I suppose the newer modems have cheaper chipsets which require a stronger snrm to maintain sync)

we were told 6dB minimum for noise margin, however, through experience, you know where 6dB will be OK in an area and not in another.

Re:sparky's post, we know he was on about snrm.... and to add to his point, I've worked on noise issues where I've had steady DSL sync above 10 dB snrm, only to be wiped a moment later..... impulse noise easily knocked out parts of estates or apartment blocks if strong enough, and with frequencies around the ADSL pilot tone.

what I'm getting at is SNRM is only one indication when it comes to dictating a lines stability, other factors will always need to be accounted for

that said, it's one thing working with 6dB margin with ADSL, VDSL is another matter... the sheer spectrum width introduces all sorts of anomalies that may need to be accounted for (also noise sources which would not affect ADSL at all)... originially with line length being so small, most installs regardless were 8-12 dB snrm.. it was only when you had an issue on the line or when they started introducing longer line lengths that some installs were dropping to the 6dB mark ...

speaking from experience again, we were told 6dB noise margin for VDSL, however, I always felt a higher margin was needed as intermittent issues seemed to occur, even when you would turn up on site and would have solid sync at 6dB's for nearly 30 mins and always tried to get at least 7-9 dB if I could

There is no rule. In rural donegal with an idle main cable you can get away with 5db no problem, in the middle of cork that won't work. I never suggested you should sparky, just that its possible. Realistically I'm cautious of anything under 8 for ADSL and 11 for VDSL purely because IMO resyncs are far more disruptive than a small loss in bw. The exception would be the poor sods past 5km who need to tweak it as much as possible to eek every last bit out of the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pomwombat

DLM ;)

On your side of the (smaller) pond a trouble line scales itself back. So let it target low and if theres a problem, itll ease off. Here, set it low and if theres a minor problem it'll re-link every 30 seconds until somebody calls support. DLM isnt a thing here at all.

Ah ... So you have no dynamic behaviour at all? That would certainly explain a choice of more pessimistic profiles. It probably helps in the management of expectations too.

What about manual changes to target SNRM, or to FEC/interleaving? From what I've read before on this thread, it looks like the only manual settings available to a service provider is to alter the package you have been allocated. Is that right?
    UPDATE:
    Just to add:
    <<BT can increase your downlink target SNR margin to 18 dB
    When your broadband service is first switched on, the target SNR margin is set by the BT exchange equipment at 6 dB. On a good line, BT generally considers that a 6 dB SNR margin is appropriate to maintain a connection without a significant number of drops or errors. The corresponding target margin for TalkTalk equipment is 9 dB.>>

That behaviour isn't part of DLM within the FTTC network; it applies to the older variants of DLM for exchange-based DSLAMs, both ADSL and ADSL2+. I could have sworn the maximum was 15dB too.

I've seen studies on some of those early forms of DLM; one by NICC suggests that AMA (automatic margin adjustment) is old-hat, and TRA (tiered rate adaption), or setting speed limits - which we know better as "banding" - has a better impact.

Within our FTTC network, the original DLM algorithm would choose to add FEC/interleaving to a troubled line first; turn those settings up second; and speed reductions via "banding" third. There is no direct change of target margin.

Obviously banding has the impact of allowing margins to increase, but it is very much a case of effect rather than cause.

The newer DLM algorithm seems to very much prefer activation of G.INP retransmission alongside much smaller levels of FEC and interleaving. Perhaps that will be all that is needed for most people - the graph showed a dramatic improvement ... I'll have to find it.

Line ops here just have profile control, thats it. There are two sets, Rate Adaptive standard profiles and Fixed Rate "stable" profiles. If a FR connection drops below threshold it won't sync at all, RA will sync at whatever gives it 9/10dB. G.INP is on for everyone where eircom chose to enable it (seems to correspond with G.Vectoring). Interleaving is fixed, on ADSL the profile codes include interleaving options.
    3MB      eirc_adsl_160-3072_128-384_I2  3M_384K_RHL  Yes
    2MB      eirc_adsl_160-2048_64-256_[B]I1[/B]  2M_256K_RL  Yes
    2MB      eirc_adsl_160-2048_64-256_[B]I3[/B]  2M_256K_RHH  Yes

I don't claim to know enough about it to really analyse it thoroughly. BTs access plant may differ from ours (in premises wiring is definitely different) so there may be reasons unknown to us why DLMs been implemented there and not here. I wonder if vendors charge a significant fee to enable it?

In any case, other than eVDSL, eircom have been steam rolling ahead and the connections I've had a chance to poke around at have all been pretty rock solid. There are users on here getting very good rates considering distance so maybe theyre a little over conservative but maybe thats a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

Hi Folks. Well after a long time I finally got my speed up. The only reason was today an Eircom Rep called, told me my line could defiantly get 80mb from them - I was getting 50 with Vodafone when I asked them months back to upgrade my profile they said they could not as Vectoring was not switched on. Eircom offered solid 80mb connection with no contention. I signed the form but have 2 weeks to say yes or no to them. So I rang Vodafone tech and they upped me to 80mb. Here are my stats now:

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 81918
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 10.5
    Upstream SNR (dB) 8.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 12.3
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.3
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 13
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -4.2
    Downstream CRC 3516
    Upstream CRC 33
    Downstream FEC 243761
    Upstream FEC 487057

They told me to test it for a few days and see if its a good connection and if not they will drop it to 70mb. My question is, I am with Vodafone, I pay €42 a month with unlimited broadband and 300mins free calls to any Irish landline or mobile. The Eircom offer is €50 a month, same speed, unlimited calls to Irish landline and 30mins free to mobiles. My big problem is that the Eircom rep swore I would have no contention ratio. I dont make many calls on the phone so 300 free mins has been pretty fine with Vodafone. It it worth switching to Eircom? The contention ratio might push me if its true...any advice?

The contention is the same between providers. Dont listen to sales lies. With NGA its as good as uncontended, though in theory if every users on a full 200port cab was to DL at full tilt at the exact same time you might have a little slowdown (will never happen).

Once you get onto fibre the only difference is where the traffic goes when it leaves your ISPs network. So one provider might have good pings to France, the other not. Or one provider might cache netflix locally and another not. Everything else is identical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

Thanks for that ED E. So, would you feel its no use me changing from Vodafone to Eircom? I agree with what you said about sales rep's, this guy promised Eircom have such better routers also..yeah...yeah... Throttling is an issue I couldn't get an answer also..i.e P2P traffic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

Short question: What could cause the Downstream attainable data rate to drop from 36 Mb to 27 Mb.

Currently fighting with Eircom to get the most of my lines. The first time I logged in into the modem the rate was 36 and it is now 27. So speed test results are around 17Mb.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Alzone wrote: »
    Short question: What could cause the Downstream attainable data rate to drop from 36 Mb to 27 Mb.

Currently fighting with Eircom to get the most of my lines. The first time I logged in into the modem the rate was 36 and it is now 27. So speed test results are around 17Mb.

Thanks,

You may not be vectored yet. My attainables dropped a good bit once other people began to be connected, and crosstalk increases.

Also check for line faults. If you have a landline, pick it up and check for crackles - one night I noticed I was on a profile with half the bandwidth and there was a crackle on the line when I picked up the landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

When a cab/exchange is enabled for VDSL up to 70mb, how long till it is vector enabled?

My local exchange was enabled for VDSL last month, anyone have a rough timeframe to when VDSL2 will be enabled? If it ever will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Some cabs have been in place a long time and vectoring still isn't enabled. A new type of vectoring is required for some of the cabs. My brother and sister have long lines living in the same estate and they only get 25 x 5 & 30 x 5 m/bit. They could badly do with the vectoring boost

When a cab/exchange is enabled for VDSL up to 70mb, how long till it is vector enabled?

My local exchange was enabled for VDSL last month, anyone have a rough timeframe to when VDSL2 will be enabled? If it ever will be?

Short answer, nobody knows when vectoring will be enabled on the exchange fibre, I've been told it's coming, no idea when.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Short answer, nobody knows when vectoring will be enabled on the exchange fibre, I've been told it's coming, no idea when.

It will be the new year at the earliest. It hasn't launched anywhere in Europe that I am aware of. Ireland might be the first when it happens.

There are a few places that have it, but no indication as to why compared to everywhere else. A safe guess is they might be test deployments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I'm aware that there are many cabinets yet that have not been vectoring-enabled, incl. parts of Letterkenny and Ballybofey.

Does Eircom mention on their website if they are still enabling cabinets for vectoring? Or have they stopped, in the hope people will upgrade to FTTH instead?

byrnefm wrote: »
    I know this is a bit of an old thread but I'm aware that there are many cabinets yet that have not been vectoring-enabled, incl. parts of Letterkenny and Ballybofey.

Does Eircom mention on their website if they are still enabling cabinets for vectoring? Or have they stopped, in the hope people will upgrade to FTTH instead?

Certain cabs are need to DPs/Exchanges/other cabs and will likely never be vectored.

Advertisement