Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Gigs/festivals on your tod

Options
  • 31-01-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering what peoples opinions or experiences are when it comes to heading to festivals or gigs by yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gigs is grand, never miss a gig you wanna go to because nobody will join you. When the band are playing, you're enjoying the music, not really chatting.

Can't say for festivals, but you're bound to get talking to people so I'd see no hassle in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

yea,cheers for that, thanks for your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I saw Paul McCartney & Depeche Mode by myself, as well as wandering around solo at festivals the odd time, and it's usually grand. If you wanna see an act, I suggest you go to it because you'll miss out otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Been to Glastonbury alone. Found people everywhere, got kidnapped by Geordies, great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

80% of the gigs I go to are alone. Friends just don't have the money or aren't into the same things.

You end up talking to people anyway if you're really passionate about the band or artist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I've been to two gigs on my own. I would highly recommend it. With both I had an absolute blast and throughly enjoyed myself. It was very liberating. No way will I miss out on someone that I love. They were both at deciated concert venues though. I'm not brave enough for going to a concert say for example at smaller venue up stairs in a pub. I missed out on The High Kings last year because they played in a pub. I don't know if I would be brave enough for a festival.

I don't know if I would be brave enough for festivals though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Went to the first Witnness on my own back in 2000, I was 14, parents ground me so I broke out the window.

Best weekend of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'd go to the a gig by myself, done it a few times with Primal Scream, the White Stripes, The Strokes etc...

Festival, I did it once but it's really something you have to do with friends or at least one or two other people. I found the experience really disappointing going by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

I went to three gigs on my own.
    Sure, its more fun with friends but mine don't have an interest in concerts and a different taste of music.

I won't miss out because no one else is bothered.
    Because I like a certain type of music I end up seeing the same people there and end up talking to them. (the Gigs are usually in small venues)

I once went with a friend who wasn't into the music of that band.I should have went on my own .... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I missed QOTSA last year because my mate decided he didn't want to go at the last minute, if I had the chance again I would go on my own. Not so sure about festivals though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Seems there is a need for a boards meetup page for some gigs :p

1 boards member posts up to say I'm going to .... On my own anyone else going let's have a pint

neddynono wrote: »
    Seems there is a need for a boards meetup page for some gigs :p

1 boards member posts up to say I'm going to .... On my own anyone else going let's have a pint

Nearly sure there's a thread already for that. Gig buddies I think it was called.

No issue going to a gig on my own. If I'm at a festival I'll spent a bit of time on my own anyway so I don't mind it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'm signed up for similar on meet up. Think its called gigonomtrics or similar. On my phone so a pain to check.
    I've no problem going to gigs by myself. Went to see guru at the Olympia yeeeaaars ago and got right up the front cos there was one seat. Best night ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I go to gigs on my own a good bit, I've also gone to single days of festival alone and that wasn't as much fun. Bad weather, lots of waiting around and the like.

I'll be heading to Foals solo next week, my usual gig buddy has got other plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Been to lots of gigs on my own. Would have missed many a great act had I decided not to go because my friends weren't interested.

Festivals? I've spent a lot of time at them going to bands/artists I liked but my friends didn't.

Just go for it, you won't regret it. And the people who look down on it are really not worth your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

threein99 wrote: »
    I missed QOTSA last year because my mate decided he didn't want to go at the last minute, if I had the chance again I would go on my own.

:confused::confused:

Why didn't you just go on your own? I guess you don't like QOTSA that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I'm signed up for similar on meet up. Think its called gigonomtrics or similar. On my phone so a pain to check.
    I've no problem going to gigs by myself. Went to see guru at the Olympia yeeeaaars ago and got right up the front cos there was one seat. Best night ever!!

Yep there's a meetup group called Gigonometry, I've used it a few times when I didn't fancy going to a gig on my own. Highly recommend it.

http://www.meetup.com/gigonometry/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

:confused::confused:

Why didn't you just go on your own? I guess you don't like QOTSA that much!

I don't know just didn't fancy it on my own, I wouldn't be a huge fan but still should have gone, I did manage to sell both tickets though and kept the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

Thanks for all the inspiration, just needed abit of encouragement and have definitely got it,fair play, rock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Festivals solo is great, have great craic with your neighbours, wander on your own when they become a bore.

No babysitting drunk friends, no cockblocking, no arguments about who to see, no hours trying to meet friends/endless texting, no drama, no tantrums...

You just need to talk to everyone and not be shy...let your inner nutter out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

MadsL wrote: »
    Festivals solo is great, have great craic with your neighbours, wander on your own when they become a bore.

No babysitting drunk friends, no cockblocking, no arguments about who to see, no hours trying to meet friends/endless texting, no drama, no tantrums...

You just need to talk to everyone and not be shy...let your inner nutter out!

This :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I often go to gigs alone, I don't see why somebody would need company at one.

I wander off on my own at festivals, to see a band or just to have some fun with random folk... but if I'm going for more than one day I'd want to know people going. That's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

myself and my bro go to glastonbury, we stay in a camper together, get up in the morning, chat about the day before, eat something, few tins then head into the arena, spend a few hours in the afternoon wandering around looking at all the mad stuff having a few tins, then about 6 we go our separate ways to whatever bands we wanna see,
    im not sure about him but i imagine its the same but within 10min of leavin each other I'll have new friends, at a festival there is no such thing as being on your own,
    lots and lots of people do it,
    its my opinion its the only real way to experience a festival exp.

then later in the night we generally bump into each other in the south east corner but mostly end up loosing each other again - grand plenty of friends to be made.
    Same for gigs, do what you want, when you want how you want and with who ya want.......

like MadsL said let your inner NUTTER out!!! you'll do it once and wonder why you have wasted so much time going to gigs with people or at least sticking with them.
    Also does wonders for the confidence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

I've never done it, but I definitely should have a couple times instead of missing acts I wanted to see.
    Going to John Cooper Clarke on my tobler in May, that'll be my first.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I went to a festival yesterday by myself. It was either that or miss Pearl Jam and Arcade Fire amongst others.

No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Been going to gigs and festivals since the late '70s and have always had the thinking that when an event goes on sale that I'd like to go to, I'll buy 1 ticket for myself. I'll say it to friends and family and if they want to come then they get their own tickets. If I end up going with a gang then cool if on my own then also cool. If I'm travelling to play a festival I prefer to be on my own anyway.

Back in '08 I went to the Life Festival on my own, pitched up my tent and dropped over the say hello to the strangers next to me. We've since gone on to be good friends and sometimes do festivals together.

I love the idea of being a free agent at a festival. Meet loads of new people and get mangled with strangers. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

For some reason I think it is different thou if you are female and go on your own to a festival.

If you go just for one day it is okay, but I would never to for a few days on my own to a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

SusanneKn wrote: »
    For some reason I think it is different thou if you are female and go on your own to a festival.

If you go just for one day it is okay, but I would never to for a few days on my own to a festival.

Why? I've been going to festivals (& gigs) by myself as either a punter/volunteer since 2010 (as a lady) and I always have the most amazing fun. I've never gotten any negative/unwanted attention from anyone, no one's ever made me uncomfortable.

I just go around with a big smile on my face and people start chatting to me. People have started recognising me too from previous festivals, I'm telling ya, it's the way to go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Been to a few gigs by myself mainly due to friends not being into the same things. Heading to August Burns Red this Saturday by myself as it happens.

Festivals. Well, I've done Indiependence on my own and that's because a friend of mine "was sick" (wanted to get home to see his girlfriend) and left me there.

Honestly, had a blast and got talking to some deadly people with similar music tastes. Was grand.

The only way people will know if you're on your own is if you announce it to the world. Nobody'll give you a second glance anyway. If anything they're more likely to applaud you for doing so.

If you like a band, they're playing a gig/festival, it's a no brainer to go. Pointless waiting around on people to do things/make up their mind on getting tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I love being up the front at gigs, or as close to it as possible but this is something that's very difficult to do when you're with others, especially when all they're not all that bothered and just want to have a few pints.

I'd never miss a gig I want to go to though. If it's a band you'll like, you'll probably turn into this little fella after a few songs:

6dfb826585458ffd89551f64cdb8ff35.jpg

Advertisement