Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agricultural Science

Options
  • 31-01-2014 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Thinking of doing Agricultural Science in UCD,in 6th year at the moment. What's the course like? What kind of jobs could you get when you complete the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I can't give advice about the course itself, but the UCD website usually has student testimonies and in depth info about each course, including the modules that you could do and careers that you could move on with. That might be of use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Which one?

That's the thing, I don't know which course to take on after the common introductory course

What are you interested in or what sort of work would you like to have after college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

What are you interested in or what sort of work would you like to have after college?

We'll I'm wondering what kind of jobs can be got out of the course..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 gemmalions

Hey- I am also in sixth year and very interested in ucd ag science.
    I've visited the campus several times and attended the course talk, also I've read the student reviews on coursehub.ie and they were helpful enough!

I'm interested in the science aspect of it all, and the food industry, so I'm thinking of the food and agri-business degree, or maybe food science.
    It's really hard to know if it's for me or not, seeing as I don't even come from a farming background!
    What has your impression of it been so far?

And any current students help us out please!

Food science and food and agri business are possibly the best course in ag in terms of employability and probably the best two for some one who doesn't come from a farming background, although the first two years of any ag course is heavily science based. Any one who gets the points to get into it will easily be able to overcome the fact that they didn't come from a farming background. Some modules may be easier for people from a farming background but the modules are designed for people who haven't.

I graduated from environmental science and am currently doing a masters in the same field. I dont know of too many who got jobs from animal and crop production and anyone who did seems to be a sales rep. If you're purely looking for a job the two courses you mentioned would probably be best, with massive opportunity through graduate programs.

Advertisement