Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Lynch Tunnel barriers

Options
  • 31-01-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭

Driving home earlier saw a sign on the approach to the tunnel saying "Tunnel Barriers Ahead". Also noticed some poles have been put in on the roadside on the Mahon side. Anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'd say we will soon see tolls on the tunnel:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

aujopimur wrote: »

Don't think they can as the EU paid for it. Besides it was built too calm city centre traffic. If a toll is introduced the city's traffic will get worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Driving home earlier saw a sign on the approach to the tunnel saying "Tunnel Barriers Ahead". Also noticed some poles have been put in on the roadside on the Mahon side. Anyone know what's going on?

They'll be closing it in the evenings for a while to facilitate a safety ungrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

I can well understand why you'd be pessimistic and take this view.

However, AFAIK, the introduction of tolls at the JLT would require legislation, planning applications and significant road works. Short term it's almost impossible.

In addition to the above, a major re-alignment of the whole area is planned:

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n8-dunkettle-interchange/

and there's no mention of tolling there.

Again, I understand your scepticism, but ATM , there are no evident plans for a toll on the JLT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The barriers are for fire safety regulations AFAIK. It is in case something goes on fire in the tunnel... Barriers come down and traffic gets diverted over the roof of the entrance portal, onto the other lane. The same road as the overheight vehicles get diverted onto at the moment.

The radio announcements in the tunnel are part of the same safety stuff.

• Advertisement

Everything is in place to toll it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

blindsider wrote: »

In addition to the above, a major re-alignment of the whole area is planned:

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/n8-dunkettle-interchange/

Better not hold our breaths for that one, we will be lucky if it is complete in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Everything is in place to toll it right now.

Varadkar has promised no tolls on he JL during present government but I've no doubt it will come next term. They won't use the barriers for it though as that will cause chaos on the South Link, more likely the ANPR cameras which are already in place for automatic billing as they do on the M50 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Andip wrote: »
    Varadkar has promised no tolls on he JL during present government but I've no doubt it will come next term. They won't use the barriers for it though as that will cause chaos on the South Link, more likely the ANPR cameras which are already in place for automatic billing as they do on the M50 in Dublin.

I'm not sure why people keep saying there will be a toll on the tunnel. If it was newly built then definitely yes but it had been around a long time now. Are there any other examples of tolls being added to previously existing roads/tunnels without any major upgrade also being undertaken?

I suspect it is simply something the examiner office like to write about every so often on quiet news days and then it gets into people heads.

Hopefully anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ludo wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people keep saying there will be a toll on the tunnel. If it was newly built then definitely yes but it had been around a long time now. Are there any other examples of tolls being added to previously existing roads/tunnels without any major upgrade also being undertaken?

I suspect it is simply something the examiner office like to write about every so often on quiet news days and then it gets into people heads.

Hopefully anyway...

I've read that they already have legal clearance to toll on the grounds of paying for ongoing maintenance. Whatever about that, I don't see the junction upgrade going ahead without a toll. As mentioned, the cameras are already there, and the billing infrastructure is already in place with the M50 crowd, who could also do the tunnel no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

afaik, they are hey to detect trucks etc who are two high for the tunnel. There is a laser beam at the top of the poles, and if broken by a high load, the light and sign start flashing to direct the truck up the slip road to the left as you approach the tunnel from the Mahon side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

yere all wrong lads ,they are the new passport control barriers ,

viva la republic like !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Look at the enormous upgrade The Red Cow interchange got. But of course it took ten years and is now tolled!
    Oh, hang on, that's just what everyone said would be the case. Negative moaners!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is the redcow tolled? Haven't been through it in a couple of years. I thought it was only the m50 that was tolled so if you go through the red cow from naas to Dublin... No toll. Am I wrong about that?

Either way... Upgrade followed by toll. If they upgrade the dunkettle roundabout then the will definitely add a toll. Can't at them adding one without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The only place I could see a toll on the N40 working is at the Douglas/Rochestown interchange, everywhere else is too congested and has too many off and on ramps.

I could see an N25 toll around Midleton, but they would have to be careful to ensure drivers would hit tolls at too short an interval?

Much like Limerick it is the N18 that is tolled, not the tunnel, but you must use those stretches of road to get in and out of the tunnel.

scuby wrote: »
    afaik, they are hey to detect trucks etc who are two high for the tunnel. There is a laser beam at the top of the poles, and if broken by a high load, the light and sign start flashing to direct the truck up the slip road to the left as you approach the tunnel from the Mahon side

They have been there since the tunnel first opened. I wonder are these solid barriers that are the same height as the tunnel. Therefore should an overheight vehicle come in contact with them then there is no damage done to the tunnel.

I could see it being tolled, especially when it is privatised.

There are only three or four guys working there as far as I know doing ongoing maintenance (fixing fans, pumps, electrics, cameras, signage etc as they go) , but there are ~100 or so employees on the dublin port tunnel, and 60 in limerick tunnel. Both of those are privatised.

pwurple wrote: »
    I could see it being tolled, especially when it is privatised.

There are only three or four guys working there as far as I know doing ongoing maintenance (fixing fans, pumps, electrics, cameras, signage etc as they go) , but there are ~100 or so employees on the dublin port tunnel, and 60 in limerick tunnel. Both of those are privatised.

Both Limerick and Dublin tunnels were built during the private public partnership era, therefore private enterprise was used.
    Cork tunnel was built with European funds, so what knack are they going to use in order to sell it?
    Also how long is this been flagged?

They would be outsourcing the maintenance to a private company. And to fund the stupid cost of itself this private company would probably stick in a toll. Barrier free I'd guess, like the M50. The barriers are just for fire safety regulations. Isn't enough road for a toll plaza.

The infrastructure probably wouldn't be sold, as there are all sorts of cabling and lines running through the third bore. Just the maintenance contract.

Maybe it won't happen. I sure hope it doesn't, i use that tunnel nearly twenty times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Some of ye talk like ye would love to see the tunnel tolled..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Often thought safety barriers were needed for the tunnel, something like level crossing barriers ..cos no one takes any notice of the current flashing signs, not helped by the fact that they're rarely on when theres an obstruction in the tunnel...and when they are on the tunnels fine...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Some of ye talk like ye would love to see the tunnel tolled..

Ya we'd all love to pay to use it.:rolleyes:

I stopped one time for the red light, the amount of road rage was unbelievable, they just drove around me and continued on thru' the closed lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Ya we'd all love to pay to use it.:rolleyes:

Why are ye going on about it so much so ?? In any thread in which the tunnel is discussed we always get the same comments about tolling.

Why are ye going on about it so much so ?? In any thread in which the tunnel is discussed we always get the same comments about tolling.

:confused:
    It's a message board. People 'go on' about stuff on it.

Wouldn't be much to read if everyone just wrote nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Passed through the tunnel earlier from Mahon side and as I approached the roundabout spotted what looks like a regular arm barrier post that you'd see in any car park with a matching support on the other side. I assume it's all going to be similar to a railway crossing to prevent entry during maintenance periods. Pity, I was hoping for a cool mechanical sweeping barrier from the central reservation… oh, well :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I stopped one time for the red light, the amount of road rage was unbelievable, they just drove around me and continued on thru' the closed lane.

Jesus, that was a fairly stupid thing to do, stop on a DC, why didn't you just move lanes if your lane was closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

xabi wrote: »
    Jesus, that was a fairly stupid thing to do, stop on a DC, why didn't you just move lanes if your lane was closed?

Can be a lot easier said than done ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Markcheese wrote: »
    Often thought safety barriers were needed for the tunnel, something like level crossing barriers ..cos no one takes any notice of the current flashing signs, not helped by the fact that they're rarely on when theres an obstruction in the tunnel...and when they are on the tunnels fine...
    yup
    theres an EU regulation that tunnels need a raft of safety measures with one of them being physical barriers to stop people entering a tunnel that may contain a raging inferno (or other danger)

From what I can make out (i.e. seeing EU law compliant tunnels on the continent and reading the odd article) other stuff is having the little green or red arrow above your head to signify the lane is open and clear, a full wall between the traffic going either way, emergency exits lit up to a very high standard with a bright green cowling around the edges rather than a simple sign above it, standardised guidance signs to the nearest emergency exit etc.

Any new tunnel will be built to the new safety standard but slowly the older tunnels need to be kitted out with the safety equipment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've read that, despite the JL tunnel being by far the most efficiently run major tunnel in the country, its management was recently transferred to Dublin (same management as Port Tunnel IIRC, who are proven to be less efficient).
    having the little green or red arrow above your head to signify the lane is open and clear
    This is a pile of crap. Having those lights on at all times (and the signage on entering the tunnel) simply means that drivers pay no attention to them. Far more effective to only put them on when there's a problem.

Advertisement