Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Lynch Tunnel barriers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've read that, despite the JL tunnel being by far the most efficiently run major tunnel in the country, its management was recently transferred to Dublin (same management as Port Tunnel IIRC, who are proven to be less efficient).

This is a pile of crap. Having those lights on at all times (and the signage on
    entering the tunnel) simply means that
    drivers pay no attention to them. Far
    more effective to only put them on when
    there's a problem.

Yup, and while your at it put the likes of a siren with extra flashing lights at the level crossing type barrier...
    Probably cost a fortune to develop a new system when Irish rail have been installing them for years....maybe thats the cynic in me...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

yup
    theres an EU regulation that tunnels need a raft of safety measures with one of them being physical barriers to stop people entering a tunnel that may contain a raging inferno (or other danger)

From what I can make out (i.e. seeing EU law compliant tunnels on the continent and reading the odd article) other stuff is having the little green or red arrow above your head to signify the lane is open and clear, a full wall between the traffic going either way, emergency exits lit up to a very high standard with a bright green cowling around the edges rather than a simple sign above it, standardised guidance signs to the nearest emergency exit etc.

Any new tunnel will be built to the new safety standard but slowly the older tunnels need to be kitted out with the safety equipment too.

All correct no doubt, but I bet that the lads in the EC Ivory Towers didn't realise that us Cork people have these raging infernos already sorted.

They do not know that we built that tunnel so that the safety technology of the ingress of water is already in situ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

xabi wrote: »
    Jesus, that was a fairly stupid thing to do, stop on a DC, why didn't you just move lanes if your lane was closed?

Were you one of the dicks behind me?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok, the personal abuse stops now. Let's move on please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I see that they've put traffic lights on both entrances to the tunnel now where those poles were installed a couple of weeks ago. Are these part of a barrier system or have the some other mad plans in store I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I asked, since the mad speculation is getting boring. They said:
    In regard to the present closures these are required to facilitate installation of improved safety features in line with current EU recommendations. The barriers are for use in an emergency situation to stop vehicles entering the traffic bores in the event of a fire or serious road traffic incident. As far as we know the is no plans to toll the tunnel, this would be a government decision and would certainly not use barriers entering the tunnel to collect tolls.

Advertisement