Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools Celbridge / Maynooth

Options
  • 31-01-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I was hoping to get some info about secondary schools in Maynooth / Celbridge.
    Where is good, any have a poor reputation ?
    I live in the area, but am out of the country at the moment.

My daughter is starting junior infants in the Gaelscoil in Maynooth this September.
    I thought I was Organised with thinking about it this early, but from reading about the postprimary in Maynooth, I should of had her name down from birth :eek:

TIA
    Creme egg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have no previous children in other schools, she will only qualify for the Maynooth school/schools (whatever the extended structure is).

I'm fairly certain that registration at birth is no longer possible for anywhere, its been outlawed; but irrespective of that, MPPS doesn't operate any pre-registration at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No, it is just the Gaelscoil that you need to have their name down at birth for.
    Secondary schools are not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

Thanks MYOB & Moonbeam

So would you know how I go about finding more about MPPS reg process. Their website does not say much.
    I know there have been some issues with this school, as Maynooth thought they were getting another secondary school this year( VEC I think) but nothing has been started as yet. I assume they are usually oversubscribed.
    It's not so easy for me to call MPPS due to time difference, and I could not find a contact e-mail.
    Do you know anything about the schools in Celbridge, as this would be my home address. No other kids in any other schools, or no links to schools in the area (family members attending etc)

Thanks. Creme egg.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

As far as I know you only apply to the secondary school here the year before the child is due to start and everyone applies at the same time.
    There will be an irish stream to lc in one of the Maynooth secondary schools.
    http://www.celbridgeonline.ie/listings.php?c=schools
    How early did you have her name down in the gaelscoil in Maynooth?

MPPS registration process starts in sixth class in a feeder school - all the primary schools in Maynooth and the surrounding rural schools. The school will let you know about it then. There's nothing on the website etc as they don't currently accept from anywhere else. This is the current admissions policy: http://www.mpps.ie/parents/3-admissions-policy

Both MPPS and the other school will be run by the VEC, co-located and probably co-run. There's a major barney over there being different admissions policies for what will be two sides of the same building and also things such as uniforms and names on the schools at the moment, but those will be fixed by 8 years from now.

The Celbridge secondary schools don't accept kids from Maynooth unless there's pre-existing relationships. Currently they're single-sex, religious run. Salesian Brothers and Holy Faith Sisters. There will be a joint VEC/Educate Together school there in a while; but I cannot see it taking out of town admissions either - though the current ones may as they'll likely lose a huge number to the new one.

By "out of town" I mean not in a Maynooth feeder school btw, there shouldn't be an issue with a Celbridge address if in the Gaelscoil in Maynooth; but there may be with the Celbridge schools if not in a school there.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam, I had her name down for the Gaelscoil when she was a few weeks old!!!

Ok so from what you are telling me I can relax!!:cool:
    I will just go talk to the Gaelscoil when she starts.

Like you said MYOB, any issues now with the VEC/MPPS will all be sorted in time.
    Ideally I would love her to be taught through Irish all the way to the LC.

Thank-you both for putting my panic to rest.

Creme egg.

MPPS do Irish to JC already - started when I was still in the school, its been there for a while - and whatever we have after will do it to LC.

Thanks again MYOB. Great that MPPS do Irish to JC, and hopefully beyond in the future. Just checked their website, and the link they give for admissions gives a 404 error. Dunno if that is the site or me (on an iPad)

Kind regards
    Creme egg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

MYOB wrote: »
    MPPS registration process starts in sixth class in a feeder school - all the primary schools in Maynooth and the surrounding rural schools. The school will let you know about it then. There's nothing on the website etc as they don't currently accept from anywhere else. This is the current admissions policy: http://www.mpps.ie/parents/3-admissions-policy

Both MPPS and the other school will be run by the VEC, co-located and probably co-run. There's a major barney over there being different admissions policies for what will be two sides of the same building and also things such as uniforms and names on the schools at the moment, but those will be fixed by 8 years from now.

The Celbridge secondary schools don't accept kids from Maynooth unless there's pre-existing relationships. Currently they're single-sex, religious run. Salesian Brothers and Holy Faith Sisters. There will be a joint VEC/Educate Together school there in a while; but I cannot see it taking out of town admissions either - though the current ones may as they'll likely lose a huge number to the new one.

By "out of town" I mean not in a Maynooth feeder school btw, there shouldn't be an issue with a Celbridge address if in the Gaelscoil in Maynooth; but there may be with the Celbridge schools if not in a school there.

Hi just to correct one fact from above St wolsten is no longer a holy faith school its now a community school it changed when they moved to clane road. As for salesians college the religious influence is falling away now and id imagine it will also be a community school in the next few years. There is currently planning permission in place for a 3rd secondary school in celbridge it will be mixed and run by the VEC and educate together but this school was refuse planning permission and has been refereed to an bord pleanala but as you are looking 8 years ahead imagine this school will be open by then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

creme egg wrote: »
    I was hoping to get some info about secondary schools in Maynooth / Celbridge.
    Where is good, any have a poor reputation ?
    I live in the area, but am out of the country at the moment.

My daughter is starting junior infants in the Gaelscoil in Maynooth this September.
    I thought I was Organised with thinking about it this early, but from reading about the postprimary in Maynooth, I should of had her name down from birth :eek:

TIA
    Creme egg

My daughter is starting in September too, we live in celbridge too.

I went to st wolstans left in 2004 it's a great school but I'm going to wait and see does she want to continue with Irish school or go to English speaking school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The admission policy linked by myob is out of date. The new one is nowhere on the school or etb site. If you follow the link in my sig the new one is on that Facebook page. Alternatively I'll post it here when I get to a computer. The one for the new school is there too.

creme egg wrote: »
    Thanks again MYOB. Great that MPPS do Irish to JC, and hopefully beyond in the future. Just checked their website, and the link they give for admissions gives a 404 error. Dunno if that is the site or me (on an iPad)

Kind regards
    Creme egg

The irish stream has been moved to MCC ftom MPPS and it is an Aonad - so to LC. However the schools end up being configured the Aonad will be part of it.

Sorry forgot about this. Enrolment policies attached.

Thanks so much Orion. Great info

Advertisement