Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 01-02-2014 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I have the following issue.

I am searching online for a hotel bed on a booking website.

I put in one person and the hotels are listed.

One hotel says privates from 5 euro.

So I select this and select the room.

Under number of guests I put one but then the total price comes up as 20 euro.

is this false advertising.

No, as you said yourself "... from 5 euro".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have the following issue.

I am searching online for a hotel bed on a booking website.

I put in one person and the hotels are listed.

One hotel says privates from 5 euro.

So I select this and select the room.

Under number of guests I put one but then the total price comes up as 20 euro.

is this false advertising.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

But you cant get any at 5 euro. It is like outside a shop seeing a sign books from 5 euro and you enter but you cannot buy a book there for 5 euro.

How do you know?

Does it say from €5 pps, or specifically €5 for a single? At those prices it sounds like a hostel - maybe it's a private room for 4, at €5 each, which would come to €20. Even if it is €5 for a private single room, it doesn't have to be that price on every night, and they may have already sold out.

A good current example - Irish Rail are offering fares from €9.99.

If I look at next Wednesday, Dublin to Cork, I can see that there are trains from 9am-3pm at €9.99, but from 4pm to 7pm they're €24.99. If I look at Saturday, there are no €9.99 fares left.

If you only looked at Saturday, you might think that there are no €9.99 fares to be found.

• Advertisement

You've selected only one guest - its a six person room!

Yes but I searched for 1 guest.If you also did a search for 6 guests on the first page it states privates start at 5.20 but no privates start at 5.20

They do. $5.20 per person if you have six people in the six person room.
    This isn't false advertising.

On the above example in no instance will you be able to pay 5.20 for a private room

In the instance where you have 6 people, each paying $5.20 you do.

In your picture, did you not spot the "prices displayed per person per night" ?

So you're looking at a 6 bed private room for 1 person, but you still have to pay for the 6 beds. So it's

6 x 27.84
    +6 x 5.20
    +6 x 30.45
    +6 x 24.36
    +6 x 24.36
    +6 x 24.26
    = 819.49

The deluxe single private with ensuite would come to around $400 odd, because that's a room designed for just 1 person.

No false advertising in the slightest, it's perfectly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

From €5.00 is basically saying that it will not be less than €5.00, anything from €5.00 upwards

• Advertisement

So if outside a shop it says cans of coke from 1 euro and you went in and it was a 6 pack for 6 euro and you said I want one can of coke for a euro they would say well get 5 friends and then you can buy them for a euro each.

They'd probably say "Not to be sold separately".

So if outside a shop it says cans of coke from 1 euro and you went in and it was a 6 pack for 6 euro and you said I want one can of coke for a euro they would say well get 5 friends and then you can buy them for a euro each.

Or like in the supermarket where the toilet paper has a price on it that says 50c / 100 sheets, but you have to buy 4 rolls. :)

But in the initial search page when you search for one guest it doesnt say price per person or something to that affect.

But it does say price from $5.20, right?

But in the initial search page when you search for one guest it doesnt say price per person or something to that affect.

Multiple people have told you you're wrong. You obviously don't believe any of us, so your next best bet is to contact the advertising standards agency or hire a solicitor. Maybe you'll believe them when they tell you you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Thoie wrote: »
    Multiple people have told you you're wrong. You obviously don't believe any of us, so your next best bet is to contact the advertising standards agency or hire a solicitor. Maybe you'll believe them when they tell you you're wrong.

I think he got it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Huh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement