Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does your 'Other half' drive your pride and joy ?

Options
  • 01-02-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Just looking at the amount of 'good motors' out there - Golf R32, ST220, VRs, Range Rover's etc being driven used by 'spouses' (?) got me to thinking, would you allow your other half out in your pride and joy/classic , or would you just get her a Micra / Golf to potter around in. Even Bono's Ali was driving a banger (Golf?) until recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nope, probably not anyone else either for that matter unless it was absolutely necessary. The gearbox is like a tempermental OH tbh, it needs to be coaxed and caressed into doing what you want! I'd personally rather be in control than listening to crunching changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Yes, she has taken both the STs to work with her on occasion and likes them. We planned she would use the ST170 as her daily until her brother gave her his Corolla...that's OK then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

No. Even tho it's not on the road yet I've already told her that a classic policy cannot have named drivers. And she won't find out any different either, I bought her a BMW 320d a couple of years ago that she drove into the ground and now she has a beautiful avantime that she doesn't like looking after either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I've already told her that a classic policy cannot have named drivers. And she won't find out any different either

Hey, Mrs Kev! Mr Kev is a big fibber! :D

Mrs MacP is insured to drive all of mine. However, she's only driven one of mine, once (Xmas before last so I could have a few drinks). This is despite the fact I'm always given earache because "her" (well it was her's, but it's mine now) 106 has been off the road a considerable time and not fixed (18m :o) AND I've always reminded her that she can drive mine. No pleasing some people!

I've had additional named drivers too on various classic cars. No problem with that. Bend it, you buy it. They're there to be driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭w124man

NO .... dont be silly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha I only have a bug and it tool nearly three years for me to let him drive her.. Have a select few people I would let take her without me in it or even drive for a short distance..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mr Dades doesn't drive mine but mostly because she's not the most confident driver and the thought of driving my "precious" and damaging it is too much.

I've nothing against her having a go, but it won't ever come to it I know.

Dades wrote: »
    Mr Dades doesn't drive mine but mostly because she's not the most confident driver and the thought of driving my "precious" and damaging it is too much.

I've nothing against her having a go, but it won't ever come to it I know.

thought I'd quote that before you edit it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes.

I went home at lunchtime yesterday as I'd forgotten something at home, and I go in through the garage door.

I press the fob, the door goes up and...........voilà - I'm one 911 short of a picnic.............again.

She's gettin' way too attached to it, she is......... :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes.

I went home at lunchtime yesterday as I'd forgotten something at home, and I go in through the garage door.

I press the fob, the door goes up and...........voilà - I'm one 911 short of a picnic.............again.

She's gettin' way too attached to it, she is......... :pac:

You just can't be having that! Would ya not pop off the HT lead or something when you park her up?:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭b318isp

My wife refuses to drive mine. No power steering, a low seating position and rock hard suspension has something to do with it.

Hee hee. I once told my wife one of my cars didn't have pas when it did.....did the trick!

corktina wrote: »
    Hee hee. I once told my wife one of my cars didn't have pas when it did.....did the trick!

My wife doesn't know what no power steering is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

none of my last 3 GF's had driving licences, only one of them was actually interested in learning, but i had no problem letting her learn in my w126. but I wouldn't let her behind the wheel of my 535 without a licence.

we broke up before she did the test.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    none of my last 3 GF's had driving licences
    Sounds like you should get a schoolbus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Dades wrote: »
    Sounds like you should get a schoolbus. :pac:
    Lol, I was living out foreign, did ye know they have this thing over there called 'Public Transport' its this amazing system with busses/trams/ferries/trains its all integrated and everything, oh and here's the bit you'll never believe, they have these yokes called timetables, and when it says there is a bus due one shows up, feckin mad lads them foreignists, but i couldn't see it catch in on here

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

Drive them! she won't even sit in them unless there is no choice. She has never been in the CX and only twice in the SM in ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

My missus lets me drive her classic sometimes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

No, because she doesn't drive at all... and even if she would be, I wouldn't let her drive...

Advertisement