Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day meter reading not changing

Options
  • 01-02-2014 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

I have been living in new apartment since the last 20 days but the day meter reading has not changed at all, however the night meter has used 900 units in past 20 days. Is it normal that day reading has not changed at all. And how much bill should I expect?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

If it is older mechanical meter, it sound like the esb time switch is faulty. The meter defaults to night rate and keeps counting on the dial. There should be an indicator on the meter, a little arrows, which shows you which dial is been used. Check where that arrow is pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hmm...i can't find the arrow on the meter. I have taken picture of the meter now. Can you please have a look at it?
    meter.jpg

If esb switch is faulty, then what am I supposed to do?

thank you
    frankmul wrote: »
    If it is older mechanical meter, it sound like the esb time switch is faulty. The meter defaults to night rate and keeps counting on the dial. There should be an indicator on the meter, a little arrows, which shows you which dial is been used. Check where that arrow is pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Contact your supplier who will contact ESB networks.

Either way 900 units is a lot to be used in 20 days.I use about 700 units in 2 months.Possible the whole meter is faulty.

This thread will have relevance http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057125228

Hmm...i can't find the arrow on the meter. I have taken picture of the meter now. Can you please have a look at it?
    meter.jpg

If esb switch is faulty, then what am I supposed to do?

thank you

Between the 2 dials there is a small window with a red indicator ( beside the 1/10). This indicator moves up and down to show you which dial is counting. It is on night rate in the picture.

You could do as superg advised but whenever the meter is read, it will be picked up.

Holy..
    Am I supposed to contact electric Ireland? Or they would check it themselves?
    I don't want to end up paying bill which I have never used.

• Advertisement

When the meter is read next, the fact that no electricity was used during the day should be spotted or if you want, you could contact esb now and get the ball rolling. The number of units used should be clocked up correctly, it's just a question of how much should be at night rate and how much should be at day rate. Past bills might help sort that out.

I'd get the ball rolling myself as can be seen from the previous thread on the matter they won't be in any hurry to sort it out for you when you get issued with a massive incorrect bill.Also,since you have only moved into this apartment previous usage in your previous address may not help you sort out what you should be getting charged as opposed to what the meter is saying you will be charged.

I missed the part on you moving into the new apartment, sorry.

I am calling them on Monday ASAP. It's in fact my first apartment in Ireland. So they don't haveany previous readings on my name.
    I hope they don't charge me in excess given I am new here :(

Electric Ireland Customer service is open saturdays 8-8. I'm sure the other suppliers are too.

• Advertisement

I just spoke to them now.
    They told me they will send someone in 3-4 days and check the readings. and they will adjust the meter readings.
    superg wrote: »
    Electric Ireland Customer service is open saturdays 8-8. I'm sure the other suppliers are too.

No one came last week so I spoke to electric Ireland today again. I am told that someone will come tomorrow to check the meter and adjust the readings but it will take 8 weeks or so until my bill is corrected. What can I do now? Why would I pay so much extra while I am not even using the electricity :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hate to burst your bubble, if the meter is stuck on night rate, you're NOT paying extra, you will in theory be paying a lot less than you should be for the power you have used.

It will get sorted, and you've reported it, so while it's an inconvenience, it's NOT costing you more than it should, if the supplier does nothing, you will get a bill that's way less than the figure it should be.

If the meter is clocking units that you are not using, then that's another issue,

If there's a night saver meter, does that mean there is night storage heating installed?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

ya he's paying less with the meter stuck on nite

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hate to burst your bubble, if the meter is stuck on night rate, you're NOT paying extra

Perhaps / perhaps not!

Many people with dual tariff meters have storage heating.
    If the OP has a faulty timeclock (there is a strong possibility thta this is the case) this may be keeping the storage heating on 24/7 :eek:

This would also explain the 900 units in 20 days.

So although the OP may be paying less per unit during the day, a faulty timeclok may result in a many extra units being used. So despite the fact that the off peak units cost less the bill may be far larger :eek: :eek:

The night meter is going too fast.
    already over 1100 units in 28 days. Using one electric heater only in the evening and night. No one at home in the day. The storage heaters are off since i came to know about this problem.
    Let's see how they fix it and adjust meter reading tomorrow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

have you got a night immersion heater for hot water, that too might be running during the day when it's not supposed to be.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

The night meter is going too fast.
    already over 1100 units in 28 days. Using one electric heater only in the evening and night. No one at home in the day. The storage heaters are off since i came to know about this problem.
    Let's see how they fix it and adjust meter reading tomorrow.

From the image you uploaded, I think the conversion rate for rev to kwhr is 300 rev/kwhr..Right hand side?
    For a 1 kw load, the meter will complete 1 revolution (red line to red line) in 3600 sec / 300 rev = 12 seconds.
    For a standard 3kw kettle, it should be spinning at the rate of 1 rev every 4 second.
    If you can switch everything else off and put on a fixed load, you could check the accuracy of the meter. Count how long it takes to complete 10 revolution, multiply this by the rev/kwhr ratio and divide your answer into 3600.
    Eg
    2sec per rev means 3600/(2*300) = 3600/600 = 6kw load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

have you got a night immersion heater for hot water, that too might be running during the day when it's not supposed to be.

they have separate timing ..wouldn't be affected by esbn timing

I do have immersion heater but I turn it on for 15 minutes before shower time. Otherwise it's always off.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for the calculation method.
    I suppose the electrician who is coming tomorrow will check the same.. and adjust the meter readings accordingly.
    frankmul wrote: »
    From the image you uploaded, I think the conversion rate for rev to kwhr is 300 rev/kwhr..Right hand side?
    For a 1 kw load, the meter will complete 1 revolution (red line to red line) in 3600 sec / 300 rev = 12 seconds.
    For a standard 3kw kettle, it should be spinning at the rate of 1 rev every 4 second.
    If you can switch everything else off and put on a fixed load, you could check the accuracy of the meter. Count how long it takes to complete 10 revolution, multiply this by the rev/kwhr ratio and divide your answer into 3600.
    Eg
    2sec per rev means 3600/(2*300) = 3600/600 = 6kw load.

Many thanks for the calculation method.
    I suppose the electrician who is coming tomorrow will check the same.. and adjust the meter readings accordingly.
    They might check it but they probably will only change the timeswitch. That is only a rough guide and the esb person would not be able to say that the meter is reading too much. The meter would have to be removed and sent for testing to determine that.
    You will probably only have the timeswitch changed tomorrow and a quick check on the meter. Anything else will probably happen on another day.

No one came on Wednesday to check the meter. I have been calling electric Ireland daily but they told me the staff is sent for emergency services now due to storm and no one would be available till Tuesday and Ishould call them back on Tuesday to get another appointment.

My main worry is that night meter is going too fast and I have already turned off all the heating system.
    I am signed up for direct debit and I will end up paying hundred of euros while I am not even using the electricity. What can be done in my case please? Please suggest me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Just a thought, but are you including the figure in the red box when you are calculating your usage? These are 1/10ths of units and you would normally ignore this and just read the five figures on the left. Where you reckoned you had used 900 units, maybe you had just used 90?

If it helps, I had a situation in 2012 where my meter was stuck on night-rate and I noticed the problem as my bill was so low. It took the ESB about a month to investigate and my meter was changed to one the the electronic ones. I expected the ESB to suggest some adjustment to my bill based on previous usage patterns but they just accepted it as their issue.

Thanks,
    I am not including the figures in the red box. its about 1200 units now in 35 days...

Well, if the ESB don't change my bill to correct one then i would end up paying 300-400 euros extra for nothing...
    This is my first electricity bill in Ireland so they do not have any previous readings on my name...
    I just hope they come up with a good solution..
    fat-tony wrote: »
    Just a thought, but are you including the figure in the red box when you are calculating your usage? These are 1/10ths of units and you would normally ignore this and just read the five figures on the left. Where you reckoned you had used 900 units, maybe you had just used 90?

If it helps, I had a situation in 2012 where my meter was stuck on night-rate and I noticed the problem as my bill was so low. It took the ESB about a month to investigate and my meter was changed to one the the electronic ones. I expected the ESB to suggest some adjustment to my bill based on previous usage patterns but they just accepted it as their issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Something very wrong with your usage. I use about 1200 units total in a two month billing period. I have a night rate meter (use washing machine, dishwasher etc at night), but don't use storage radiators. This is a four bedroom semi with four adults.

The previous tenant would (should) have taken a reading when they vacated the apartment and Electric Ireland (sorry ESB is the old name!) would bill you on any units used since. Obviously, if the meter is faulty, that is a different matter, but if you can see the meter spinning fast and you have all appliances turned off, then maybe someone else is tapped into your supply?

Finally after several calls someone from ESB came last week and fixed the day meter, i.e. it is working now.

But they haven't done anything about the night meter, which was going too fast. About 2100 units used on the night meter in 50 days, is it normal for 2 persons? We use only 1 radiator heater after 6 pm and 2 storage heaters set to "2" as input and output.

I was told that Electric Ireland will adjust my bill...I hope they will adjust it before sending me out the actual bill. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

What has the usage on the meter been since it was adjusted? Did you take readings after it was repaired? Normally when the t/s is faulty the ammount of units used isnt affected..its just that they are on the wrong rate so I am surprised your unit usage is so high ..

It's been only 2 days since they have fixed it. Shall I check both the day and night meter readings tonight? what is t/s?

What am I supposed to do in this case? Sorry but I am not good with household things... :(
    Colser wrote: »
    What has the usage on the meter been since it was adjusted? Did you take readings after it was repaired? Normally when the t/s is faulty the ammount of units used isnt affected..its just that they are on the wrong rate so I am surprised your unit usage is so high ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Sorry..the t/s is the timeswitch...I would keep an eye on the units you are using as even when the t/s is faulty it should only record the actual ammount of units you are using ...Also if you are worried about your next bill I would speak to Electric Ireland and ask them what is their policy when this happens..I presume they wont bill you for units you couldnt have used..I think you cannot contact them directly here so you will avoid lengthy phone calls:)

Advertisement