Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity Took DD After Bill Paid

• 01-02-2014 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I received my Airtricity bill back in January. The bill was for €186, the due payment date was 24th of January. I paid the bill in full in the post office on the 20th of January. Four days later, on the 24th, Airtricity still came into my account and took the €186 again via DD. This account i use for DD's for other bills where i have the exact amount in every month for those. With the unexpected Airtricity DD, my account is short for my usual DD's and i will be charged €10 for every DD that cannot be covered in payments.

I know that the second €186 will be credited to my account for the next bill, but i need that money back into the account to cover my usual DD's.

Can this be done or am i smoked?

Does that Airtricity feck up happen to other people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If you signed a direct debit why did you pay manually? - this seems to be entirely your fault.

A payment in a post office can take up to 5 days to appear on your account ( this is stated on bills) also due to the automatic nature of the direct debit system, it can't be suddenly changed just because you wanted to do it a different way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A company will issue DD instructions several days in advance to their bank. As you paid within 4 days of the due date, you fell within that window. You really shouldn't have done that.

Anyway, under the new SEPA DD rules, you can instruct your bank to return the DD within 6 weeks of it being taken. I don't know long it will take to get the money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

sandin wrote: »
    If you signed a direct debit why did you pay manually? - this seems to be entirely your fault.

A payment in a post office can take up to 5 days to appear on your account ( this is stated on bills) also due to the automatic nature of the direct debit system, it can't be suddenly changed just because you wanted to do it a different way.

I didn't know about the 5 day thing to be honest. I paid in the post office because it's right beside me and i had the money then.

Obviously i will have to go into the bank and reverse the DD as dudara has stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

I'm in the same boat, Airtricity are some shower of ghoulbags, I paid 6 days in advance of DD, Its actully all to do with SEPA...

I didn't know about the 5 day thing to be honest. I paid in the post office because it's right beside me and i had the money then.

Obviously i will have to go into the bank and reverse the DD as dudara has stated.

Its now 9 days because of this new crap SEPA..

• Advertisement

What does that mean exactly? And what is SEPA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

New direct debit system, which allows people with non Irish bank accounts to set up a direct debit. IBAN used instead of just sort code and bank account.
    I'm in the same boat, Airtricity are some shower of ghoulbags, I paid 6 days in advance of DD, Its actully all to do with SEPA...
    How are Airtricity ghoulbags if it's because of SEPA?

SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) is a new electronic payments mechanism introduced within the Euro zone. It's not just confined to direct debits, but the biggest changes from SEPA are in the area of direct debits.

Irrespective, if you are signed up for direct debit, it's always best to let the payment be taken that way. What happened here had nothing to do with Airtricity, it could have happened with any provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The whole idea of setting up a Direct Debit is that it is debited from your account and you dont have to remember to pay it every month.

They dont look at every single account every month and say, oh we will take the money this month, because he does not have appeared to have paid it????

I dont understand how the OP thought them taking the DD was unexpected......they take it every other month??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

SEPA is a great step forward.

I've been using it for some years now, means I can have a Dutch Bank account, get paid from my German employer into my Dutch account and pay my Irish Credit card bill as easily as if it lived and worked in one country and you pay the same for a SEPA transfer as a local transfer :D

The one exception is the UK, the banks can put some additional charges on SEPA transfers due to the currency difference.

But the upside is that you could go work abroad in say Germany and just run everything off your Irish bank account without having to set an account up locally (Although Irish banks are not fantastic for online services tbh)

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    The whole idea of setting up a Direct Debit is that it is debited from your account and you dont have to remember to pay it every month.

They dont look at every single account every month and say, oh we will take the money this month, because he does not have appeared to have paid it????

I dont understand how the OP thought them taking the DD was unexpected......they take it every other month??

I assumed once i paid via the post office, that the DD therefore would not happen. I was unaware of the 5 day clearance thing.

So, it looks like the post office will be axed for me and the DD is the only way to go now.

If this SEPA thing takes 9 days to clear, that could cause other people some problems like this too. But, surely the positives are greater than the negatives with it, otherwise it wouldn't have been brought in.

New direct debit system, which allows people with non Irish bank accounts to set up a direct debit. IBAN used instead of just sort code and bank account.

How are Airtricity ghoulbags if it's because of SEPA?

SEPA is not to come into operation till Feb 1st yet Airtricity still took my money, And btw SEPA is for Europe not just Ireland..9 days to clear, Like something from the 1800's..

So explain to us please why Airtricity claim on their site that any payments made up to 5 days in advance are taking into account regarding the DD...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

SEPA is not to come into operation till Feb 1st yet Airtricity still took my money, And btw SEPA is for Europe not just Ireland..9 days to clear, Like something from the 1800's..

Even under the old system any payments made within 5 working days wouldn't come off the bill and would be applied as credit on his next bill. So he paid his bill 4 days before it was due out of his bank acc in which time it was too late to come off his current bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

So explain to us please why Airtricity claim on their site that any payments made up to 5 days in advance are taking into account regarding the DD...

This is from the Airtricity page if I wanted to make a payment on my bill today
    Payments made 6 working days before your direct debit date will be deducted from this amount and any remainder charged as normal. Payments made after this will be credited towards your next bill.

I thought it was 5, but they have 6. Still seems fairly normal. So any payment made within 6 days of the DD being due will go off his next bill. Simple enough. This is up for a change under SEPA now tho it will be a longer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Perhaps because the OP only gave them 4 days Max!!!

SEPA is not to come into operation till Feb 1st yet Airtricity still took my money..

Lots of companies are already using SEPA and have been doing so for a few years. I've built and tested SEPA files in 2010 and I implemented a system in 2012 where we built SEPA formats. The February 2014 date was supposed to be the deadline for all payments to be switched to SEPA, i.e. the old BACS format shouldn't exist afterwards for EUR payments

Perhaps because the OP only gave them 4 days Max!!!

I paid 6 days in advance and still got ganked..Although I understand I have 8 wks to reclaim the money back no questions asked so that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I assumed
    I think I've found the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The great thing about sepa is that you can get the direct debit refunded onto you account. No more of the bs of having to try and get them to give you your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I paid 6 days in advance and still got ganked..Although I understand I have 8 wks to reclaim the money back no questions asked so that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.
    6 working days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,463 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm having the opposite trouble. First direct debit was supposed to be paid 10th January (deposit of €200). It didn't work, I asked why. Response was they were changing the system, nothing to do with my account, new date is 28th January. On comes the 30th January, new bill for an extra €300, making it €500 total, €200 which is overdue. Look at my bank account, nothing taken out.

I emailed them about it on Friday, so still awaiting a response. I can only assume it was an error on their behalf, and that the €300 will be written off. I even offered to pay the €200 deposit upfront after the first failed DD. Bill is due to come in 15th January, thats why I was shocked to see one 2 weeks early.

As for the OP, you paid too early yourself, it advises you not to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Jet Black wrote: »
    No more of the bs of having to try and get them to give you your money back.
    Was there not always a direct debit guarantee in place?

Mushy wrote: »

As for the OP, you paid too early yourself, it advises you not to do that!

As i actually wanted to pay via the post office, it looks like i was too late with the payment, not early enough.
    No Pants wrote:

I think I've found the problem.

Probably shouldn't have assumed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

The same thing happened me with Electric Ireland. The reason I went with Direct Debit was to avoid paying a €200 deposit. I live in shared accommodation and so cash has to be lodged to my account to pay.

All this is dealt with by computers. They can look at every account hundreds of times per day if they want. There's nothing technical preventing a DD request being sent to the bank the day before and there's no technical reason it should take multiple days for a cash payment to be processed.

OP thought the DD was unexpected because the bill had been paid in cash a few days earlier. It's completely reasonable to pay your bills early if you have the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

If you request the bank to refund a SEPA payment they must make the refund immediately and without question under sepa rules unless ("which is unlikely") you signed a waiver.

OP thought the DD was unexpected because the bill had been paid in cash a few days earlier. It's completely reasonable to pay your bills early if you have the money.

That is exactly the reason why i paid through the post office with cash. One bill down, few more to go.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

There's nothing technical preventing a DD request being sent to the bank the day before
    But companies don't. They send the requests off in bulk. These are thousands and thousands of direct debit payments. And you think a random customer here and there should have an exception made for them and that the company should be inspired to know that they paid early? Not to mention the bank also?

If you agree to pay by direct debit, then you're not saying "I'll sign up for direct debit but I'll actually pay manually."
    I know the customer can still actually do this, and may as well if they have the money early and don't want a direct debit going out when they might have less funds at that stage... but the onus is on them (not the company/bank) to have it cleared sufficiently in advance of the direct debit.

It's bizarre the things people say in order to abdicate personal responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,463 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As i actually wanted to pay via the post office, it looks like i was too late with the payment, not early enough.

Yeah that would be correct, I just worded it wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Magaggie wrote: »
    But companies don't. They send the requests off in bulk. These are thousands and thousands of direct debit payments. And you think a random customer here and there should have an exception made for them and that the company should be inspired to know that they paid early? Not to mention the bank also?

If you agree to pay by direct debit, then you're not saying "I'll sign up for direct debit but I'll actually pay manually."
    I know the customer can still actually do this, and may as well if they have the money early and don't want a direct debit going out when they might have less funds at that stage... but the onus is on them (not the company/bank) to have it cleared sufficiently in advance of the direct debit.

It's bizarre the things people say in order to abdicate personal responsibility.
    • There's no reason the DD bulk request can't be done the day before. NONE.
    • The company doesn't need to be inspired. It's a computer that does this. It's simple.
    • So the company probably recognises this as normal behaviour.
    • It's a scam. People should be able to pay early up to the day before the DD. Any delay is artificially introduced by the company and/or bank.
    • He was paying it early! He should be rewarded not punished because the company can't implement a decent IT system. Or chooses artificial time constraints which result in extra fees to people's accounts.

Advertisement