Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Took DD After Bill Paid

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• There's no reason the DD bulk request can't be done the day before. NONE.
    • The company doesn't need to be inspired. It's a computer that does this. It's simple.
    • So the company probably recognises this as normal behaviour.
    • It's a scam. People should be able to pay early up to the day before the DD. Any delay is artificially introduced by the company and/or bank.
    • He was paying it early! He should be rewarded not punished because the company can't implement a decent IT system. Or chooses artificial time constraints which result in extra fees to people's accounts.
    In this case it would have made no difference had Airtricity sent the DD bulk request the day before (for all we know that's what they did anyway). The OP paid the bill in the PO 4 days before the DD, meaning it still wouldn't have registered on their Airtricity account in time.

The only person at fault here is the OP. Airtricity clearly outline the time frame required for payments made in the PO. To call it a scam is just hyperbolic nonsense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

In this case it would have made no difference had Airtricity sent the DD bulk request the day before (for all we know that's what they did anyway). The OP paid the bill in the PO 4 days before the DD, meaning it still wouldn't have registered on their Airtricity account in time.

The only person at fault here is the OP. Airtricity clearly outline the time frame required for payments made in the PO. To call it a scam is just hyperbolic nonsense tbh.

It wouldn't have registered because their IT systems are set up to not send across that information immediately. This is all about the interaction of IT systems that could easily work as they should.

As soon as the money is accepted in the Post Office there is no reason the company it is being sent to shouldn't know about it. If there is, please enlighten me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It wouldn't have registered because their IT systems are set up to not send across that information immediately. This is all about the interaction of IT systems that could easily work as they should.

As soon as the money is accepted in the Post Office there is no reason the company it is being sent to shouldn't know about it. If there is, please enlighten me.
    Well why don't you enlighten me as it doesn't seem like any utilities company in the country has this kind of system in place?

Do you know of any company that has this capability?

I don't think it really makes a difference, it's up to Airtricity to decide how they manage their own internal systems, as long as they make it known their limitations then it's still not a scam in any sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

There's no reason the DD bulk request can't be done the day before. NONE.
    I'll just have to take your word for it - and assume you work in a bank to be so certain of same.

But anyway, the DD bulk request isn't done the day before, so that point is moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

If it now takes up to 9 days to clear a payment through the post office for an Airtricity bill, then the only realistic way to pay is with the bank DD. Otherwise we will be paying the bill twice in the same week, although the second payment is credited to my Airtricity account for the next bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it now takes up to 9 days to clear a payment through the post office for an Airtricity bill, then the only realistic way to pay is with the bank DD. Otherwise we will be paying the bill twice in the same week, although the second payment is credited to my Airtricity account for the next bill.

I just don't get this. Why pay in the post office 9 days early if you have signed up for DD? Why then complain when between the PO processing it, the bank processing it, airtricity processing the receipt and the issue of the DD demand it crosses with all this?
    If you signed DD then pay DD. That's the promise and commitment you gave the supplier when signing up and were spared a deposit as a result. You undertook to pay by DD so just do so.

I just don't get this. Why pay in the post office 9 days early if you have signed up for DD? Why then complain when between the PO processing it, the bank processing it, airtricity processing the receipt and the issue of the DD demand it crosses with all this?
    If you signed DD then pay DD. That's the promise and commitment you gave the supplier when signing up and were spared a deposit as a result. You undertook to pay by DD so just do so.

Well first of all, i wasn't aware of the 5 day processing thing and secondly Airtricity make payment possible via the post office, which i prefer because it's more convenient.

Signing up with Airtricity is only possible with DD even though they give you more options to pay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I paid 6 days in advance and still got ganked..Although I understand I have 8 wks to reclaim the money back no questions asked so that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

6 working days?
    Remember the weekend and bank holidays don't count,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Airtricity make payment possible via the post office, which i prefer because it's more convenient..

Yes and they list this on their website.

http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/products/electricity
    Start paying your bill before you get it

You don't need to wait for a bill to begin paying it. You can make top-up payments into your account at any time, and payments received up to 5 days before the end of your billing period will appear as a credit on your bill. Payments after this will still be credited to your account within 3 working days, but will be listed on your next bill.

If you pay your bills by Direct Debit, any payments you make up to 6 working days before your bill is due to be paid will be taken off your direct debit amount. Any remainder will then be charged by direct debit as normal.

You only gave them 4 working days so they weren't at fault,
    Signing up with Airtricity is only possible with DD even though they give you more options to pay.

Not true,
    You can choose to not use DD but you may loose out on a part of any discount they offer and you may need to pay a deposit. But this is pretty much the same with many of the other power companys'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Well first of all, i wasn't aware of the 5 day processing thing and secondly Airtricity make payment possible via the post office, which i prefer because it's more convenient.

Many post offices allow you to lodge money to bank accounts. If your post office and bank account have this facility, maybe in future just lodge the money to the DD account, rather than paying the bill? The DD will take it from that account anyway, and from your perspective the cash has gone into the post office, and the bill ends up paid.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    Many post offices allow you to lodge money to bank accounts. If your post office and bank account have this facility, maybe in future just lodge the money to the DD account, rather than paying the bill? The DD will take it from that account anyway, and from your perspective the cash has gone into the post office, and the bill ends up paid.

Thanks for the info, i didn't realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

How on earth is it 'more convenient' to physically go to a post office, queue up and then pay in cash versus letting a direct debit automatically take the money owed from your account? You can ensure the money is in the account via online banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jet Black wrote: »
    The great thing about sepa is that you can get the direct debit refunded onto you account. No more of the bs of having to try and get them to give you your money back.

Try getting your bank to agree to putting the funds back on your account, they often refuse to do this now when payments are disputed incorrect or unauthorised so I can't see it getting any easier.

How on earth is it 'more convenient' to physically go to a post office, queue up and then pay in cash versus letting a direct debit automatically take the money owed from your account? You can ensure the money is in the account via online banking.

1st, the post office is beside me, bank is 3-4 miles away.
    2nd, no que in the post office
    3rd, i don't get paid through the bank, cash work
    4th, i don't have online banking

It's easier for me, i can pay when i have the money available. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

1st, the post office is beside me, bank is 3-4 miles away.
    2nd, no que in the post office
    3rd, i don't get paid through the bank, cash work
    4th, i don't have online banking

It's easier for me, i can pay when i have the money available. :)

Eh... then don't sign up for direct debit payments!

He could, but then he'd have to pay a deposit....which he obviously didn't want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cabaal wrote: »
    He could, but then he'd have to pay a deposit....which he obviously didn't want to do.

Agreed fully but then he can't complain when the playing about with both methods causes problems. Best of both worlds rarely works out.

Well, it was not an option really.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,146 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cabaal wrote: »
    Deposit?

Am I missing something here? The OP stated that he did in fact sign up for direct debits, did he not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,146 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This post has been deleted.
    Thanks for clarifying that :)

So the OP signs up and agrees in writing to pay by direct debit and is therefore bound by Airtricity's T&c's which no doubt cover the payment method but decides that he will pay HIS way and then when AT take the money as agreed he's coming here complaining.

Open and shut case as far as Im concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

To be fair to the OP, if he makes payments ahead of the direct debit in order to reduce it/clear it, I personally don't see an issue. If the money goes through, the money goes through. IMO it's sensible to make pre-payments and indicates good budgeting management.
    It's up to the customer though to ensure they don't pay the final instalment(s) too late. If they're not on time, there is no wrongdoing by the company/bank; that has been agreed to by the mere fact of the direct debit being set up, even if it was just to avoid the security deposit (which is understandable).

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

My Airtricity DD is due on the 3rd of every 2nd month. My wife has been paying it in advance at the PO for the last 3 years.
    They have never deducted the bill via DD until this Feb.
    The Bill was paid (as usual) in the PO on Jan. 24.
    However the DD was also drawn on Feb. 03 (Ten days later), although this ten days did include two weekends.
    This is the first time this has occurred & is IMO a direct consequence of SEPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That would be 5-6 working days, depending how you look at it. Allowing 3 days ish for the credit transfer to Airtricity to go through, combined with the lead time on the DD file, and you can see how the overlap happened.

Advertisement