Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our poor old Town

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Ah listen, do ye not remember walking around Waterford in the 80's , dog sh1t everywhere, footpaths
    Nothings changed since the 80s there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

sadly i have a conscience and moral's so sadly that career path wouldnt be an option for me.

what caused the last crash was the brown envelope culture in regards to the banks and its pals..im not talking about that at all..but surely ta god your not that silly to think that is what i was getting at..

So it's not a job that can be done morally? If you can't do a job better it's not your place to criticise the people that do it.

If you actually did some rearch you would know different. The international recession was caused by unpaid loans.

You suggested borrowing so it would seem that way. Your post was fairly silly if you were trying to say that Waterford will do better when banks are giving loans but nobody is taking them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

GarIT wrote: »
    They had plenty of time, they didn't go under overnight.
    It took years but they were being milked by O'Reilly and the market was shifting.
    Things selling based on exclusivity is almost dead, it's not a viable business model. Even in a high quality/price model you still have to conform to the laws of supply and demand.
    You keep repeating this "supply and demand" thing like some kind of mantra that you learned in school. Well "exclusivity" still underpins most economic activity. Want that new house in a good area? People still buy them even if there are many more in other areas. Want the latest pair of branded earphones pushed by some DJ rather than a technologically equivalent pair? Want to drive a Ferrari instead of some second hand banger? This explains the term 'Giffen Good': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giffen_Good
    The US was a market based on word of mouth, they weren't targeted.
    You don't seem to understand how Waterford Crystal was marketed. It was a status symbol. It wasn't something as simple as "word of mouth". There were millions of Pounds and Dollars in marketing involved too.
    Online sales don't instantly cure everything, and maybe they wouldn't have sold well online but a poor performing business online is usually much better off than a popular local business.
    Do you know much about online sales? There's a distribution chain with non-digital goods and the product has to be delivered to the customer. That and stock are the biggest expenses for the seller and they also increase the cost for the buyer. Waterford Crystal had networks of shops selling their product, distribution systems and marketing. It was a bit more complex than an e-commerce plugin for Joomla or Wordpress. People were able to see the Waterford Crystal piece that they wanted to buy and immediately buy it. With luxury goods, that sensory input is a very important aspect of selling and computer screens just don't do some of these products justice.
    The online sales could have saved them,
    It would not. There were fundamental problems that were never addressed and the revenue from online sales would not have been sufficient to keep the business afloat. You seem to have amazing faith in online sales but don't understand the whole delivery process when it comes to non-digital products. And that doesn't even include how people shop differently for luxury items.
    A note on online selling is nearly anything that can be given as a gift sells well online.
    Have you ever sold non-digital goods online as part of a business (rather than the odd thing on eBay)?
    People keep mentioning that areas with a gov representitve do better, can you explain the ghost towns in enda kennys constituency?
    Poverty, population density (number of people per square kilometre) and emigration.

Regards...jmcc

If you think the government can be run better go for it.
    Most of the people who could solve the problems can't afford to run for office. That's why the Dail has about 26% school teachers. They have the time (short working hours and very long holidays) to run. Their jobs were held open for them when they went on Dail sabbatical. Thus you have a bunch of people of limited intellect, limited expertise and a lot of free time getting to the top of the Irish political system and banjaxing it.
    Are you actually suggesting that we should build with a borrowing culture again? That's what caused the crash.
    No. Imprudent lending was what caused the crash and a bunch of maggots inflating the price of property. It was an economic bubble.
    I love this the banks not lending conspiracy, the banks are desperate to lend, they need to so they can stay alive but they can't find viable business to lend to.
    Rubbish! Most of the banks are trying to bail out their own bad debts and employees. You really think that these people can decide what is a viable business after the abject mess that they made of their own? It is not a conspiracy theory. And banks should not really be running the Venture Capital business. That's one of the major problems with Ireland - the lack of a true Venture Capital business that can invest in startups.
    The banks have millions in reserve, if a viable business came along the bank would lend.
    Read up on Fractional Reserve Banking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_reserve_banking

Regards...jmcc

If you can't do a job better it's not your place to criticise the people that do it.
    That's part of being a democracy. We can criticise them and we can vote them out at the next election.

There's a nice quote from James Larkin that is quite apt here:
    "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise."

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

I just moved down from Dublin and the thing that struck me about Waterford was how quite it was. I lived in Cork for about 6 years and Dublin for 2, and both of those cities are considerably busier, even during the week or on Sundays.

Moaning about it and blaming everything on the government is naive, you should ask yourselves: what specifically is wrong, what can be done about it and what am I doing _now_ to change things?

If people think the government is useless, they could start writing letters to their TDs demanding decentralisation so important decisions about Waterford can be made in Waterford, they should get onto their councillors to pressure them into making smarter decisions. You could get together and organise, several heads are better than one and maybe together we could figure out specific actions to improve things.

I for one would be delighted to meet with any person or people who would like to actually figure out what the problem is and what we can do to make things better. Is anyone willing to organise a 'campaign for Waterford'? Now we'll see who actually wants to improve things and who's just a moany auld ****er who wants to complain about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Those groups are now flooded with weird conspiracy theorists. Couple of right tin foil hatted freaks on there.

Lol! As opposed to the FG Party members on here?!:D

Fair play Dicky. Ya have some neck in fairness!:p

"Conspiracy theorists" = those pointing out the glaringly obvious? With a free rein to do so? Imagine that. Being free to criticise the tools that have destroyed this country - without being censored.

Sure that wouldn't do at all Ted........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'm unsurprised to hear that you have aligned yourself with them, without actually knowing who or what I'm referring to.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have it KB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I'm unsurprised to hear that you have aligned yourself with them, without actually knowing who or what I'm referring to.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have it KB.

Oooooooh! I'm sooooo scared Dicky.:D

Fairly obvious who you thing they are really DG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

7upfree wrote: »
    Oooooooh! I'm sooooo scared Dicky.:D

Fairly obvious who you thing they are really DG.

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement