Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Match Of All Time

• 01-02-2014 7:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

I know mine. Let's see the opinions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I know mine. Let's see the opinions!

And that would be?

Cool idea for a thread. How about people post YouTube/Daily Motion match links where possible.

I will have a think and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Don't want to directly influence anyone's idea as the OP so I won't name mine, just wanna see what other people think.

Would probably be an American match, but the overuse of finishers has meant that you'll never have an Emerald Flowsion into Tiger Driver out of the blue to end a hard fought scrap.

Just hope with Wrestlemania season upon us and a **** rumble we can remind each other why we know it's still worth watching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Prob not the greatest match of all time but my favourite match of all time is Eddie v Brock at no way out! Was a wcw fan back in the day so to see Eddie win the big one when it still mattered was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

My favourite comes from Wrestlemania 10. Owen Hart vs Bret Hart. Fantastic match that while mainly loved by most people does get unfairly overshadowed by the ladder match later that night. While that was an amazing match as well it didn't match up to the opener between the two Harts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Will post videos later, but for myself there are three matches that never get old:

Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko, 3/2 falls, last ECW match. (Just a pure technical classic and a showcase to why Eddie was one of the greatest and why Dean is held in such high regard)

Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask, NJPW, 1982. Out of the three, this is probably number 1. Just a brilliant match and one of the very few that have no faults in them at all. Right from the opening bell this became a classic and is untouchable to this day.

Macho Man Randy Savage vs Ricky The Dragon Steamboat, Wrestlemania III. Yeah yeah yeah, everyone talks about this match to the point that some call it overrated. Honestly I think the people saying this have never actually watched the match. If you have never seen this, stop what you are doing and watch it. It's not for ****s and giggles that people call it one of the greatest matches ever, it more than deserves it's title. A great story is told throughout a classic match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

There was a big poll done here a few years ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66765099.

Personally (while driven by the fact that I was at the show) 'Taker/Michaels 1 is up there for me. And Triple X vs. AMW which is my favourite match in TNA history (and the Skipper cage walk still always gives me goosebumps).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Benoit vs Angle - Royal Rumble 2003
    two technical wrestling experts for fans who loved pure wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

doesnt get better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was gonna post the Angle/Benoit Rumble match myself, fantastic match from start to finish, that'd be one of those matches I'd show a non fan to show them what wrestling can be when you strip away the sillyness and cartoony aspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Macho Man Randy Savage vs Ricky The Dragon Steamboat, Wrestlemania III. Yeah yeah yeah, everyone talks about this match to the point that some call it overrated. Honestly I think the people saying this have never actually watched the match. If you have never seen this, stop what you are doing and watch it. It's not for ****s and giggles that people call it one of the greatest matches ever, it more than deserves it's title. A great story is told throughout a classic match.

When I watched this match as a kid I thought this was a great Match - and that's when I knew there was more to Wrestling than just Hulk hogan.

But I watched this Match lately (many years later) and it wasn't as good as I remembered. (Maybe I need to watch it again).

If I had to pick a match I liked lately There was some good ones in TNA with Kurt Angle and Desmond Wolfe - They had a few Matches but there was one stand out one that I though was great (Can't remember if it was a PPV or TV Match though).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There was a big poll done here a few years ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66765099.

Cheers for that reminder MF, added that thread to the hot links sticky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

There are so many matches that are there or there abouts in terms of greatest ever.

My opinion changes but I always tend to fall back to Bret/Austin from WM13. Had a great build up, amazing storytelling, two supreme technicians and legendary characters.

The match that sticks with me the most is the HIAC from King of the Ring 98. It was utterly shocking and I'd seen nothing like it before. It was truly great but I find it incomparable to the likes of Steamboat/Savage or Angle/Benoit. Watching it live was just jaw droppingly awesome.

rtron wrote: »
    When I watched this match as a kid I thought this was a great Match - and that's when I knew there was more to Wrestling than just Hulk hogan.

Same, I preferred guys like Savage, DiBiase, Steamboat etc, the smaller more agile guys instead of the big guys with 3 moves each.

"Angle Sucks" was the weirdest thing ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

18 million people were watching this on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

I remember when i first got into Puro being absolutely blown away by this match,which led me to be a huge fan of Kawada could watch him kick people all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

in the present era i really liked punk vs cena at money in the bank. the crowd was red hot and i was at the edge of my seat the entire match. for me its cenas greatest performance.

my favorite match of all time has to be Mankind vs Undertaker in hell in a cell i must of watched that vhs over 100 times as a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Bret vs Austin. Just the perfect match. Had everything you could ever want in a wrestling match.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

Any match with original Sin Cara during trampaline era was always gold

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Hardys vs Dudley Boyz vs Edge and Christian that ladder match at WM X-7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-pYmHFqn8
    Simply amazing remember seeing it for the first time it had me on the edge of my seat great tag team match between 3 of the best tag teams of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Brock Vs Angle 60 minute Ironman match on Smackdown.

Cena/Michaels from Raw in London was a fantastic match, way better than their (pretty decent) Wrestlemania 23 match previously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Samoa Joe Vs Brian Danielson at ROH FIGHT OF THE CENTURY is pro wrestling perfection. Flawless match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

krudler wrote: »
    Cena/Michaels from Raw in London was a fantastic match, way better than their (pretty decent) Wrestlemania 23 match previously

Proves that when they get away from the formulaic cena overcoming the odds crap he can put on hell of the match i know hes in there hbk but he holds up great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I know gimmick matches tend to be over looked and frowned upon in these type of lists but HHH V Foley in the street fight at the 2000 (?) rumble would be up there.

Punk/Cena at MITB would be another one. It's Punk's career highlight, WWE put everything on him and it's a shame he couldn't capitalise on it.

In TNA AMW vs XXX has already been mentioned but AJ v Daniels v Joe is another favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Any of the Joe/AJ/Daniels three ways are easily five stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For me, without question, the Iron Man Match, Wrestlemania 12. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were both at 100%, and in their prime. That match had everything - drama, near falls, high spots, brawling, technical wrestling, and a killer twist at the end. Also, my 2 favourite wrestlers, both at the time, and of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rickydreamboat

Best match ever? Who can say?

Best match I've ever seen? Probably at a push I'd say Flair/Steamboat WrestleWar 89, 2/3 falls. A perfectly wrestled, near hour long match.

My favourite match? Easy. Bret/Owen WMX. Fantastic. The storyline, the technical end of things, the subtlety between two brothers knowing each other so well, the setting in MSG at WM, the fact that it was an opener. Love it.

The reason that's my favourite, although I said Flair/Steamboat is the best, is purely a personal thing. I only watched WWF as a kid and was around for the Bret/Owen build, so it gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's Punk's career highlight, WWE put everything on him and it's a shame he couldn't capitalise on it.
    :confused:

Anyways...
    having not seen any of their ladder matches beforehand, TLC 2 was absolutely amazing to see at 11
    Punk vs Cena at MITB 2011 legitimately lived up to and exceeded the absolutely crazy hype of that month
    As someone who never had access to WCW, Rock vs Hogan may have actually been the first Hogan match I saw that wasn't in Rocky III. It was great!
    About a dozen matches featuring any of Benoit, Angle and Brock

• Advertisement

Mr Perfect/Bret from Summerslam 9..1? I think, that was when the IC title meant something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Mr perfect vs bret hart ss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Has to be the greatest match ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    For me, without question, the Iron Man Match, Wrestlemania 12. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were both at 100%, and in their prime. That match had everything - drama, near falls, high spots, brawling, technical wrestling, and a killer twist at the end. Also, my 2 favourite wrestlers, both at the time, and of all time

My issue with that match was you could skip to the ~50 minute mark and not miss a damn thing. It didnt need to be an hour long Iron Man match at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Okay lots have had their say here and I haven't seen my pick mentioned at all so here it is.

This match had it all: The greatest meeting of two of the greatest icons of all time. The atmosphere was electric and the way the crowd were slowly teased into shouting against the home favourite building up to one of the great heel turns in wrestling history.

While not perhaps a technical masterclass, this was the match that best delivered to the modern era the star power and hype that Wrestlemania is all about since the days of Hogan v Andre and Hogan v Warrior...

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Okay lots have had their say here and I haven't seen my pick mentioned at all so here it is.

those limp bizkit lyrics seem like they were written with this feud in mind.

and also, watching those entrances really does depress me further about the state of affairs today.

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »
    those limp bizkit lyrics seem like they were written with this feud in mind.

and also, watching those entrances really does depress me further about the state of affairs today.

That was some mega pop Austin got when he came out. That main event is what the big match atmosphere thing is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

krudler wrote: »
    That was some mega pop Austin got when he came out. That main event is what the big match atmosphere thing is all about.
    Most Wrestlemania's probably get something close enough tbh, but being outdoors you lose all of the sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This match is probably an unpopular choice which is because there are definitely people on here who are far more into technical wrestling than I am and would watch a variety of different promotions.

But for me it's Rock vs HHH at Backlash 2000. No match will ever give me goosebumps watching the last 5 minutes of that match even 14 years later. As a 13 year old I remember talking about it for weeks after,

Advertisement